First Look - Dish Booth & 922

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I asked the last question on the Scottie Chat today. However, due to stage fright and totally stressing out I don't think I asked what I meant to or really know exactly what I asked.

What I wanted to ask was if you have the slingloaded 922 hooked up at home is there any possible way to hook up your laptop to a tv somewhere else, say at a hotel room, and watch your 922 remotely on that tv?

I realize you can watch your home 922 at a hotel on your laptop but how about on a hotel tv?

Most hotel TVs only use the cable systems analog channels. Cable converter boxes changes the digital channels to RF analog that outputs to channel 3 or 4. So the laptop would have to have a digital to RF converter to hook to most current hotel TVs. Even a digital TV would require to laptop to do some form of conversion from ethernet or wireless 802.11.

Many manufacturers, almost all decent ones, make their devices universal friendly. Most commonly they have extended codesets for discrete power and inputs, many have IR inputs on the back, some are controllable via RS-232, etc.

Yes, there's always that device that's a pain to control, but this shouldn't be it. Dish has been great so far with control...discrete power and 16 different IR addresses.

Plus the cursor style makes no sense.

I agree with regards to codesets, as well as access via 232 ports. I was thinking more of button placement or other touch control methods, again more to do with ergonomics and ease of use.

Yes, that means that the box should have the ability to respond to arrow presses and such instead of the touchpad.

However, it also must be viable. If one needs to hold down an arrow to move a cursor to another button, that's just plain silly. But who would want to use a touchpad to do so either? Pressing buttons makes much more sense.

Why are people having problem figuring out how touchpad works? Ever used a laptop? Each of them has a touchpad.

We know how it works! Thing is, we think it will be a pain in the rear to have to hit the 'keypad' button, than have to individually select the numbers for the channel we want to watch.

Practical example: I am now typing with my onscreen Windows keyboard an can confirm using a touchpad to select numbers/letters instead of just typing!!

We know how it works! Thing is, we think it will be a pain in the rear to have to hit the 'keypad' button, than have to individually select the numbers for the channel we want to watch.

Practical example: I am now typing with my onscreen Windows keyboard an can confirm using a touchpad to select numbers/letters instead of just typing!!

Now come on - nobody needs physical buttons/keys anymore. Haven't you heard about the Macbook Wheel?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faEbTXXCJro&feature=related"]MacBook Wheel[/ame]

Okay, so it's a joke, but still...

For those wondering, you do NOT need to use the touchpad. I was told you can use a standard Dish Network remote with the unit as well (or a universal remote).

To go through the menus you just use the arrow keys and select button.

This one seems very well thought out. :)

For those wondering, you do NOT need to use the touchpad. I was told you can use a standard Dish Network remote with the unit as well (or a universal remote).

Thank god. That was the one thing that would hold me back. Hopefully it will have the "EPG channel surf" as well working with the old remotes/harmony (where you hit the right arrow and can scroll through the channels).

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!! :D

I figured standard remote should work, at least for the menu/guide navigation.

Unless they made the arrow buttons touch sensitive, where the touchpad/trigger would help is in the browser.

Some more pics of the 922 interface specifically.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    897.5 KB · Views: 409
Why are people having problem figuring out how touchpad works? Ever used a laptop? Each of them has a touchpad.

The discussion of 'touchpad' came up with regards to the adoption of the new functions with a universal remote. Make the original remote too unique in how it's used, and programming a universal could be real problem.
Given that, I don't find touchpads that convenient compared to a mouse (which still does not help the 'universal remote' problem).

Pics of the 922 box and remote.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    779.4 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    731.3 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    844.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    817.6 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    1,022 KB · Views: 447
Lastly, there will be an add on 15" LCD TV that operates similiar to the TV2 concept on most dish receivers, but this one receives it's signal via G wifi.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    848.3 KB · Views: 353
No word on price, but knowing Dish, it will be about $100 more than it should, so I would guess $300.

It is AC only.

Too bad, I was hoping for a TV I could carry into the can.:)

$300, if you ask me, wouldn't be the worst price, though. I might consider to go back and forth between my kitchen and home office.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)