First Look - Dish Booth & 922

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Based on the Podcast interview, this 15" TV is actually TV3 and HD too. It will be independent of TV1 and TV2.

It maybe too soon to say there is TV3, for those who got to see the actual 15" LCD demo, was it able to watch live HD and do the usual DVR functions just like TV1?

If all the 15" could do was to playback the recorded shows on the 922, it is not TV3.

I heard it will be $200 unofficially from most sources I've heard.

Do you mean $200 to upgrade? The reason that I ask is that if you try to get the 722 from the Dish Store it is $400, my guess would be that if you where to add the price of a sling player and another 500GB Hard Drive that should give you the price of the 922. Plus add the touch screen remote. :up

Last edited:
In case anyone hasn't mentioned this, the "touch screen remote" is more like the mouse pointing pad on a laptop than a "touch screen" It simply replaces the up down; left right arrows on the remote. So, we really need to start calling it a pointing pad but "touch screen" is not accurate.

What would make the touch screen remote even better if it had an embedded number keypad that slid out from inside it so that someone could punch in numbers as well.

I find using MENU button then the numbers to go to the appropriate menu functions a quicker way to go where I need to go. For Example: MENU 6 1 1 goes to the signal strength screen. They need to make other menu screens have numbers next to them as well so you can move around even quicker with the numbers like they do in the menu. I always thought that Windows should also have a number designated to what you open up after you press START to make it quicker. This would eliminate the need for having to move around a mouse so much.

We need a Audio and Video from the box to see hows looks & works like in CNET/TV,\...With frezzing pic or just audio.. dont do it for me!

Last edited:
Do you mean $200 to upgrade? The reason that I ask is that if you try to get the 722 from the Dish Store it is $400, my guess would be that if you where to add the price of a sling player and another 500GB Hard Drive that should give you the price of the 922. Plus add the touch screen remote. :up

If I'd have to guess that is the upgrade price. Mind you that I heard this from the G4 coverage.

Home made SlingMonitor for less than $400

Any work on price for that 15" LCD "Sling Monitor"?

Also, is it battery powered (if so, what's the battery life), or is it AC exclusively?

I posted this over in the Sling forum.

I thought the Sling Monitor was pretty cool, but then I realized I could build one of these myself for around $400.

Here is my list of components:
SlingCatcher $236 (from Provantage.com)
19" Samsung Widescreen HD Computer monitor $130 (from tigerdirect.com)
Logitech S-220 3-piece computer speakrs $25 (from tigerdirect.com)
6' HDMI to DVI cable $4.14 (from monoprice.com)
7' Cat6 ethernet cable $1.49 (from monoprice.com)

Total $396.63 not including tax and shipping

PROS: Price maybe? Sling Monitor price not yet announced
19" screen vs. 14" on SlingMonitor
Likely better speakers, including sub-woofer, could redeploy monitor and other parts later
Available NOW not someday.

CONS: No built in WiFi, no HD Sling - though both should be available in the future for SlingCatcher. Three devices instead of just one.

So, I would say it needs to be less than $400 otherwise building your own makes more sense.

Last edited:
Looking at the image they had running on the dish monitor for wifi, calling it HD is a big stretch. Looked consistent with TV2 output quality SD.

That monitor was just a mockup not the real monitor. I am told that the release PQ will be on par as other 15" HD monitors on the market.

I am also told that the electronics will be water resistant, so you can hang one in your bathroom and the stream from taking a shower wont harm the electronics inside.

I think its cool that you just plug it in anywhere in your house and the only wire going to it is the power cord.

I dont care i pay $200 for the 922 upgrade right now!..But i did upgarde in SPT/08 ..I dont think they allowed me do another till end of summer! thats sux :(
if i knew they gonna come with new box this soon, I could wait then :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)