FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

However it should be noted that Guide Data for the OTA channels is spotty at best. For example, as run down of the channels I can receive, the local CBS has a total of 4 channels, there is guide data for the first 3 but no data for the 4th channel, my local ABC station has Bounce TV as one of its sub channels, there is no listings but then the word "Bounc" in the guide, I get no guide listings for any of the Springfield, Mass channels, instead I just see the channel call letters listed in the guide, the only exception to this is the Springfield PBS which has no guide data for the main channel, but full guide info for it's 3 sub channels. The opposite is true for our local Connecticut PBS which has listings for the main channel but no listings for the sub channels. It is unfortunate that the tuner does not read the PSIP guide data from the channels for which DISH has no guide data for.

Just to supplement what Scott said about guide data, from his description it is receiving that data exactly as a VIP612 does. It's been a mystery why Springfield Mass data from CBS and NBC (The two they carry) does not populate to those in CT who can receive those channels.
Just FYI, you can report those issues here, http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/246013-OTA-EPG-Info-Incorrect-or-Displaying-Digital-Service ;-)

Don't hold your breathe waiting for it to be resolved though. All indications are Dish is doing NOTHING and hasn't done anything about it for many, many months.

SCOTT G- you had mentioned a while ago the delay was out of Dishs hands. What was the cause of the delay?

Some guessed at FCC approval or patent or supply issues. What was it? Really wondering.

Thanks to Scott and Tampa8 for the guide info data. I'm just thinking that it will appear as it does on my 622 and 722, which is about everything in my area. :D I will now be looking to upgrade to the hopper in the near future. Sweet!

Thanks to Scott and Tampa8 for the guide info data. I'm just thinking that it will appear as it does on my 622 and 722, which is about everything in my area. :D I will now be looking to upgrade to the hopper in the near future. Sweet!

Agree. My 722 currently shows everything I need as far as guide data and OTA are concerned. As long as Hopper can do the same, I'm golden.

SCOTT G- you had mentioned a while ago the delay was out of Dishs hands. What was the cause of the delay?

Some guessed at FCC approval or patent or supply issues. What was it? Really wondering.
"Made in India" ? They could have been sitting on an ocean freighter and making their way to Dish's supply warehouse(s). They could have been held up in customs.

WE were testing the ota tuner and various software updates on the hopper/joeys. I was a tester for both ota tuner and tested the softwares. I've been doing both since beginning of October. That has been the holdup. DISH wanted us to test it first to try to keep the bugs down to a minimum . I like the ota tuner and it works well ,other than the exception of no manual timers. They are supposedly on the way. But for my use it is working quite well.

Something else that came up in the testing. It is important to keep the OTA tuner flat. It didn't work correctly when it was tilted.

I don't know if I can say... but to say it was a supply issue wouldn't be too far off. :) As I said before I was told that DISH was waiting like we were.

I wish I could say more, but I probably already said too much... the good news is it's here!

The OTA dongle isn't sensitive as mentioned above. Maybe that was one faulty device or a poor connection but I have had mine vertical, horizontal and even hanging behind my TV and never had any issue with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts