Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra "Blind Scan" Digital Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PSB

On vacation
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
I have had the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra for around a week now and I am VERY impressed with the quality- the picture is crisp and clean and the menu is Very nice and easy to understand. This is my first receiver with USALS (Universal Satellites Automatic Location System) /DiSEqC 1.3 and it has been a joy to work with and set up. The receiver almost sets itself up when used inconjunction with a motorized dish. I simply entered my Latitude and longitude and using the USALS function, the dish moves exactly to the selected satellite/s. The receiver comes already loaded with a comprehensive curent list of all available satellites and I had every satellite I can see in the Clarke Belt found and stored in under an hour! The blind scan or as its called with this receiver "Power Scan" is fast and very efficient, and I really like the onscreen graph as it blind scans both linear polarities, you can see at a glance where you are in the scan process. When the Signal button is used, it displays on screen two colored bars for signal level and the all important Quality changing from red/yellow/ and green with the signal % shown in clear white numbers, another click and its gone. The REALLY nice thing with this receiver is AC3 Dolby Digital audio output. At last I can watch and hear the PBS channels on AMC-3- some of the best digital pictures on any satellite and another great reason to go FTA. I have also noticed that when my dish is moving an on screen message pops up "Positioner setting!" This really saves a lot of confusion and again a real plus for this system.

Its also a sharp looking receiver-silver with three chrome buttons in the front, the on/off switch is conveniently placed on the back of the receiver along with all the connections. On the downside the digital read out on the front of the receiver seems a bit low so even at eye level you cant see the all the numbers, and it would be nice to have a "Signal Lock" light on the front but over all it looks great (see below pictures) I will be adding more to this review, but could not contain myself any longer and I have been having a load of fun with it since it arrived. At this point, I must thank David from Fortec and the Sadoun crew for their wonderful service. The receiver arrived within days and as I said at the beginning, I am VERY impressed with what must be the Rolls Royce of DVB satellite receivers, its got the lot.

The FortecStar Lifetime ULTRA receiver is fully MPEG2/DVB compliant, supports multi-languages, and has an easy to use menu system. The On-Screen Display allows quick channel searching capabilities. With the ability to move, delete, and re-name channel or satellite information, it’s simple to reorganize your channels the way you want them.

In North America, the Lifetime receiver provides Dolby Digital audio (AC-3) for the PBS channels broadcast on the AMC 3 satellite.

Digital Free-to-Air Satellite Receiver with POWER SCAN
3,000 Channel Memory (TV & Radio)
Store up to 5 Favorite Channel Lists
Dolby Digital Audio Out and S-Video (North American model)

FEATURES:
EPG (Electronic Program Guide) - 7 days of program information
Fully compliant with MPEG-2 Digital & DVB broadcasting
950~2150 MHz input Frequency (IF loop throughput)
Variable input Symbol Rate (1.5~45 Msps)
Multi-language OSD (On-screen Display)
Automatic PAL/NTSC Conversion
Fast Channel Change
Flexible reception of SCPC & MCPA from C/Ku band Satellites
Timer Function (Automatic On/Off Setting Function)
256-Colors (Graphic Use Interface)
P-I-G (Picture-in-Graphic) On-screen Display
Powerful Channel Editing Function
-Sorting: Alphabetic, Satellite, FTA/Scramble, Parental Lock, TP Order
-Move, Delete, Edit Favorites
-Parental Lock, Channel Rename, Channel Skip
Manual PID/Satellite & TP/Network Scan
Simultaneous Scan of 4 Satellites
USALS Compatible
Capable Of Setting the Frequency for SMATV Systems
Upgrade through RS-232C (STB to STB, PC to STB)

DIGITAL TUNER & DEMODULATOR
Input Connector
F-type, IEC169-24, Female
Input Frequency Range
950 MHz to 2150 MHz
Loop Throughput
950 MHz to 2150 MHz
Input Impedance
75 ohm
Signal Level
-25 to -65dBm
LNB Power
13/18 V DC, 500mA Max.
22 KHz Tone
Frequency: 22 ± 2 KHz Amplitude: 0.6 ± 0.2 V
DiSEqC Control
Version 1.0 & 1.2
Demodulation
QPSK
Input Symbol Rate
2-45 Ms/s, SCPC/MCPC
FEC Decoder
Convolution Code Rate 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8
DiSEqC
USALS Compatible
SYSTEM MEMORY
Main Processor
Sti 5518ST20 32 bit
CPU Clock
81MHz
Flash Memory
1 Mbytes
SDRAM
8 Mbytes
EEPROM
8 Mbytes
Channel memory Digital channels: 3,000
Multi-Language Menu (Varies by Region)
English / Spanish / French / German / Portuguese / Russian / Arabic / Turkish
Remote Control
IR remote control (carrier Freq: 38 KHz)
MPEG TRANSPORT STREAM & A/V DECODING
Transport stream
MPEG-2 ISO/IEC 13818 Transport Stream Specification
Profile Level
MPEG-2 MP@ML
Input Stream
Max. 90Mbits/s
Aspect Ratio
4:3, 16:9
Frame Rate
25 Hz for PAL, 30 Hz for NTSC
Video Resolution
720 x 576(PAL) 720 x 480(NTSC)
Teletext
Through VBI / OSD
Audio Decoding
MPEG Layer I & II
Audio Mode
Single channel / Dual channel / Joint stereo / Stereo
Sampling Rate
16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, and 48 KHz
A/V & DATA IN/OUT
RCA Output
Video, Audio L/R, 0/12V or S/PDIF on N.A. model
IF Input
F-type Connector
Loop-through Output
F-type Connector
Data Interface
RS-232, Connector: 9-pin D-sub type
RF MODULATOR
RF-Connector
75ohm IEC169-2, Male/Female
Frequency
470MHz to 860MHz
Output Channel
CH 21-69 or Ch 3-4
TV Standard
PAL D/K/I/M, NTSC
Preset Channel
Ch 3, or CH 38 Software changeable by Menu screen
POWER SUPPLY
Input Voltage
AC 90 to 250 VAC (SMPS), 50Hz/60Hz
Power Consumption
Max 25W
Stand-by Power
< 5 Watts
Protection
Separate internal fuse
PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Size (W x H x D)
290 x 200 x 65 mm
Weight
2.3 Kg
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Operating temperature
0 ~ 40 C
Storage temperature
-10 C ~ + 80 C
Operating humidity range
10 ~ 85% RH, Non-condensing
Storage humidity range
5 ~ 90% RH, Non-condensing
http://www.fortecstar.com/

This review is a work in progress and I will be adding much more in the days and weeks ahead, Thanks again to Fortec and Sadoun.

Attachments

• Image_2004_10_03_13_16_2.jpg
    Image_2004_10_03_13_16_2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,620
  • Image_2004_10_03_13_17.jpg
    Image_2004_10_03_13_17.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,611
  • Image_2004_10_03_13_21_2.jpg
    Image_2004_10_03_13_21_2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,288
  • Image_2004_10_03_13_22.jpg
    Image_2004_10_03_13_22.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,416
  • Image_2004_10_03_13_22_2.jpg
    Image_2004_10_03_13_22_2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,262
  • fslu.jpg
    fslu.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Pict0003.JPG
    Pict0003.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,298
PSB

Question

What is the differences in the power scans? FTA, FTA-D, All, All-D? Paticulary what does the -D mean?

I have noticed that when you do a FTA-D scan you get some encrypted content that is just listed not watchable.

Wholeshoe

FTA: FTA channels only

ALL: The receiver will store all channels found FTA and Encrypted channels. The Encrypted channels will not show on the screen and instead you will see (No signal).

ALL + D: ALL plus data channels (this is mostly used in Europe for Teletext messages, etc)

Hey

Come to think of it I think I saw some tele-text messages that I scanned in that looked like a tele-prompter, trouble is I can't remember what sat it was on.

Wholeshoe

Peter, does the Ultra have "dummy" extra channels that show up when you do scans of Dish Network transponders (Like Pansat receivers do) ? Thanks for a Great Review!!! Mike

I just did a scan of 110w and 119w but with a KU LNB (at L.O. 10750) and all it found with the FTA scan was Nasa and some radio channels, I will try it again tomorrow with a DBS LNB in place, Iceberg is popping by to give it a test drive, but no dummy channels have popped up!

dishMIKE
I just done a POWER SCAN at 119W on the Fortec LifeTime Ultra using an 18" dish with of course a DBS LNB (11250 L.O.) and it found 17 FTA TV channels one or two were doubles but no dummies.

:confused: There are 17 Free-To-Air, unscrambled TV channels on 119, aka E*7? What are they?

I have since removed the 18" dish from the system but there were one or two doubles the rest were the usual Dish welcome screens and the like most seemed to be advertisements for Sirius Satellite radio....., nothing worth watching! I liked the one that says "You must have a second dish to view this channel" That ones neat. And don't forget NASA, that one was already scanned in with the KU LNBF so you can remove that! Then there is also Angel one!

But No Dummy Channels, I will try 110w (E6/8) tomorrow!

Weather has cleared up, just done a POWER SCAN of 110W (E6/8) Using the Fortec Lifetime Ultra.... here is what it found, again no dummy channels : 0 )

6 channels scanned in as....

TV 103 Dish PPV info
TV 139 " "
TV 450 " "
TV 500 " "
TV 407 GOL
TV 853 GOL
TV 485 Adult info

NO DUMMY CHANNELS : 0 )

New (LEGAL) software just released for the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra ( Dec. 01/04)
Now when the dish moves instead of it displaying "Positioner setting" it says "Moving to IA-6" ( or what ever satellite you are going to )
Nice touch, also all LNB settings are now preset to 10750

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember YOU can win a Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra receiver courtesy of Fortec and Sadoun Satellite on Monday 13th December at 9pm eastern time at the SatelliteGuys Holiday Party what a night its going to be

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=36238

The new firmware also is producing better channel mapping after a power search. Several channels that used to require manual inputting of parameters are now identified.

The only complaint I have is the remote has poor range about 6-7 feet. (half way to the recliner).
Anyone have this problem?

Fixed!
Drill a hole in that dark front panel, it pops out once the cover is removed. See photo

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 673
I am getting one of the new versions of this Fortec Ultra model in on monday. It will replace my Samsung DSR-3800 in the den, which will be moved into the office.

Since my SG2100 motor and all the sat locations were setup for/with my Samsung (T6 was used as my true south) can I just setup the Ultra in its place or what steps will I have to go through just to change receivers and not redo everything?

Just go to your true south satellite before you unhook anything, plug in the Fortec and start from your true south bird, should be easy enough. Just make sure you do not motor anywhere until you are all set up. Enter your lat. and long. hit USALS and you should be set (motor should not move at this point)then finding the other satellites is a breeze!

Great! That is what I was hoping. I am also hoping it will come with the latest firmware. Wouldn't that already have the correct pulse counts pre-stored for all the sats? So once it knows I am on my true south (I used T6) it should be good to go?

If its the 2005 model it will be all up to date. I also use IA-6 so you should be all set. I would start afresh with the USALS. If your install is good (I am sure it is) 95% of the satellites will be bang on!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)