Freezing on Genie at various times during use

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I called support today to check on the status of a new software release. The fix is still being worked on. The tech had me change some settings on my main DVR and Genie. The changes are under menu-setup-TV Display--
under preferences make sure scrolling effects are off -- under resolutions make sure only the 1080i and 1080p are checked. I am not sure about other tv’s with lower resolutions. So far this appears to be working.

HR34

Try the CE release this Friday. Look in the cutting edge section of this site for more information.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've had an issue with my Genie that is really starting to get old, and I've been on the phone with DirecTv Tech Support, and they do not seem to have any solutions.

The unit seems to freeze at various times and I'll explain below.

Sometimes when pressing List, there is a very long pause before it comes up....

When scrolling down thru the available items to play...

When pressing Exit to return from the List back to full screen TV....

However, the worst of it is when F-FWD thru a commercial, the bar will disappear from the bottom of the screen, and the unit will simply stop responding to all input for several seconds and it continues to speed thru the program.

This happens whether watching in front of it or trying to watch from it on another unit in the house.

A red button reset does not correct this, and a system test does not give any error codes (except for a dial tone error when working on the phone with DirecTv customer support).

Any suggestions as to how to correct this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I've had the same problem with my HR34 sometimes, I've just learned to Let it Go, but let the system know my feelings known by shouting expletives at it.

I had the HR34 but I have now the HR44 and the freezing problem is not any better. The problem is that the software prioritizes its operations over the user inputs on the remote. This is obvious when you select List. The DVR is busy preparing the list; in my case the list extends over 3 DVRs. During that time, the DVR ignores your commands; I don't think it even queues them up but I am not sure.
This is a very bad design of a user interface. When the user commands, the DVR should immediately stop its operations and respond to the user. This is User Interface 101. The software to do this is more complicated than ignoring your input until it is done but the choice is unacceptable and should be redesigned ASAP.
I hope that the next update makes this absolutely needed change.

Reactions: RandallA
I have had an HR34 for over two years. At the beginning, I had constant freezes. After several months of this (at least four or five freezes a week) and after many calls to Directv, I was transferred to a tech who suggested I switch from the HDMI output to the component output. Presto - the problem went away. I have had very few freezes since. Of course, the problem I had may have nothing to do with the problems being experienced by others. But I thought it might be helpful to share what solved the problem for me.

I think the Genie is a piece of JUNK! I have had problems of one kind or another since I upgraded to it a couple months ago. So I feel for you guys.
It doesn't record the channel it's on while it's turned off, so I leave it on all the time and the last few times I turn the TV on it will not rewind the buffer so I have to change channels for the Genie to even show the rew/forward on the screen. So that just defeats the purpose.
I also thought it would lower my bill by removing 2 of the DVR's and just running the Genie. Instead my bill went up 12 bucks. So I'm over $200.00 without any sports channels.

I think the Genie is a piece of JUNK! I have had problems of one kind or another since I upgraded to it a couple months ago. So I feel for you guys.
It doesn't record the channel it's on while it's turned off, so I leave it on all the time and the last few times I turn the TV on it will not rewind the buffer so I have to change channels for the Genie to even show the rew/forward on the screen. So that just defeats the purpose.
I also thought it would lower my bill by removing 2 of the DVR's and just running the Genie. Instead my bill went up 12 bucks. So I'm over $200.00 without any sports channels.

And fanboys love the Genie...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)