Frustrated picking hardware for tailgating setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rich Sessums

Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Hi, this is my first post so please bear with my ignorance on this subject. :)

I am looking for some advice in regards to putting together a tailgating set up for this fall.

I already have an account with DirecTV and hope to be able to use it, HOWEVER, my existing set up and equipment is at a vacation home in North Carolina and I live in Tampa Florida, which is where I plan to do my tailgating.

Using the equipment from North Carolina is not an option because I do not want to travel 700 miles to pick it up. :)

What I am looking for is twofold.

First of all I am wondering if my account, for which the equipment is in North Carolina, is something that I can use here in Tampa. The account in North Carolina is not even being used this fall unless I am up there so I will not be using both setups at the same time. With the proper equipment will I be able to receive a signal here in Tampa?

Secondly, I want to do this on the cheap if it is possible. I know that I have to get a receiver, a dish, some cabling and a couple of other small devices. I have seen many dishes for sale used and can pick one of those up for $30 or so.

What I am trying to figure out is what to use for a receiver. I called DirecTV and if I want to add another receiver I will have to commit to six bucks a month for two years. Since I will only be using this set up six times a year I do not want to pay for two consecutive years.

I have also seen a lot of receivers for sale used however I have no idea what I am looking for. I realize that I would have to buy a used receiver which is owned by the seller and not one that is an unreturned leased receiver. I guess I can ask the seller and take it on their word which type of receiver they are selling.

I would like to receive high definition but I have no need for a DVR or any fancy options.

I would really appreciate any help with this. I have searched this forum, searched the web and talk to a DirecTV representative and feel like I am getting nowhere. Hopefully somebody here might be able to suggest a solution.

If I have left any details out or if you have any questions please let me know and I will answer them ASAP.

Thank you,

Rich

:welcome to Satelliteguys Rich Sessums!

You won't be able to get your locals that far away, but all of the national programs will be receivable. If you aren't going to move the new receiver back home when you are done, then get a legacy type lnb (with four outputs) and an hd receiver. You will need a bbc connected in line unless you get an H23 model receiver. If you are going to take this home at some point, then I recommend getting the same setup at each location, either swm or non swm, whichever you already have. The basic swm setup requires a swm lnb (single output) and a power inserter, but no bbc. It makes moving the equipment to each setup less complicated. If you can get an owned receiver, then there is no two year commitment, only the $6/month charge. Contact the access card department to confirm the status of the receiver.

Thank you for the information. BTW, I want to receive my local channels in Tampa and not the local channels from the original setup in NC. Do you think that I will be able to do that?

Not without completely moving the service address away from your vacation home. The locals are tied to the account on your address.

If you can get an owned receiver, then there is no two year commitment, only the $6/month charge. Contact the access card department to confirm the status of the receiver.

I may be adding a receiver as well from my other thread.... if the equipment (DVR, genie, anything) breaks and you RMA and get a replacement, does D* still extend your contract for 2 years? There are a lot of complaints online about that, though the language in the contract seems to indicate no.

Looks like no per your response here... I'll just have to be careful if equipment breaks that I confirm with the CSR and they do not screw it up.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...n-with-defective-receiver-replacement.281270/

If they replace leased equipment, there is no additional programming equipment. If DIRECTV replaces an owned box with a leased box, I would imagine that there would be a programming commitment.

I'm not sure they'll offer an owned box in exchange for an owned box unless you have one of the Protection Plans.

I may be adding a receiver as well from my other thread.... if the equipment (DVR, genie, anything) breaks and you RMA and get a replacement, does D* still extend your contract for 2 years? There are a lot of complaints online about that, though the language in the contract seems to indicate no.

Looks like no per your response here... I'll just have to be careful if equipment breaks that I confirm with the CSR and they do not screw it up.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...n-with-defective-receiver-replacement.281270/

It's not the issue it was a few years ago. Like harshness said, replacing leased defective equipment doesn't affect your commitment. If you have owned equipment, but no protection plan, replacing of defective equipment makes it leased and does renew a commitment.

If you have owned equipment, but no protection plan, replacing of defective equipment makes it leased and does renew a commitment.
That's not good, So owned boxes gets a new 2 year commitment for replacing a defective unit with no PP?
Aren't they just replacing and not upgrading anything? Unless only leased boxes get the special treatment.

DIRECTV doesn't retail receivers. It is a business decision that was made many years ago and implemented in March of 2006.

If your box dies, you're financially on your own to replace it unless you have some sort of insurance coverage.

No, they don't offer repair services either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts