FTA Portability

Discussion in 'Free To Air (FTA) Discussion' started by northgeorgia, Sep 5, 2013.

1. northgeorgia

northgeorgia Thread Starter SatelliteGuys Family

Well, there are mini TVs and mini STBs that can run off a 12V supply. It is a few years old, but I just found this on YouTube: http://youtu.be/oFlpNldHzlo

Anyone have experience with a similar fold-away or different style portable dish that works well for FTA? Just curious :)

2. Blindowl1234

Blindowl1234 Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member

Looks easy enough that I could fabricate something like it from any FTA dish I've got...the issue would be lining it up in a pinch and we all know how that goes somedays lol

3. Anole

Anole SatelliteGuys Guru

Amusing video

I don't know what an Aussie dolar is worth, but 400 of 'em is a whale of a lot!
    Brian gives you dish & HD receiver for about 200.
    Havent we posted designs for similar mounts you can make out of plastic plumbing?
    I've seen it somewhere, and you can probably come up with your own solution. :)

4. northgeorgia

northgeorgia Thread Starter SatelliteGuys Family

Yep, today 400 AUS = 365 USD, more or less (of course this video was back in 2011. Perhaps they sell them cheaper now? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale in the US market) :)

It'd be great to see who can come up with the best portable and effective KU-band dish (actually, as we saw here, more of a dish mount, but perhaps a petal design for a dish could be created too, as we see with some C-band dishes? Probably not as good signal strength though...). One of those things that make me curious. Maybe I'll experiment one day on that haha

5. SatelliteAV

SatelliteAV SatelliteGuys Family
    Pub Member / Supporter

Saw this at a trade show several years back, but never tested. Many years ago I had a portable 6 foot C-band solid metal dish with the same ground mounting base and elevation adjustment.

I feel like I just watched a huckster at the county fair... The presenter was slick enough to be in used car sales! I wonder if anyone buys at those crazy inflated prices?

Did something similar to the folding arm with a GEOSATpro90cm for my RV. Cut the arm at the bend and installed a hinge. The weight of the LNBF and arm drops and stays in position. Great for the RV, but wouldn't do this at home without adding a locking Mechanism to add rigidity.