Gas Price Info With National Gas Temperature Map

Gas prices keep falling here.

In the Spring when a good portion of the country was either below or near $2.00/gallon, we were in the $2.40-.60 range in Western New York, except on the Indian Reservations, where it was in the $1.70s and 80s, but I don't trust rez gas. Up until recently we've always had some of the highest gas prices in the nation besides California and Hawaii. When gas prices shot up before the summer, they didn't increase much around here. The highest I saw was $2.92, so about 30 or 40 cents. Then prices started to slowly decline again. The Sunoco I filled up at on Saturday was $2.69, according to gas buddy it's $2.64 today.

Years ago, one Monday morning the local morning shock jocks I used to listen to on the radio were talking about what they did over the weekend. One of the guys is real big into jet skiing and other water sports and he said he had a terrible weekend because his jet ski that was only hand full of years old died. One of the most popular spots for watersports in the area is a place called Sun Set Bay that is right on Lake Erie and is not too far away from a reservation. One person called in asking him if he fueled up exclusively on the rez and he said yes. Then phones then blew up with callers saying that they've had motor/engine failures after filling up exclusively on rez gas summer, after summer, after summer on their various pieces of watercraft. Some callers noticed performance declines after filling up their for a short period of time, but after switching back to Sunoco/Mobile everything was fine. I don't remember everything from the segment, but basically Indian gas, at least in NY doesn't have to pass any type of inspection. There is no guarantee that the gas you are pumping is not watered down, and because there is no inspection required from the county/state department of weights and measures, there is no guarantee that the 10 gallons of gas you pumped is indeed 10 gallons. I remember someone calling in saying their Trailblazer was experiencing engine problems and their mechanic recommended they get off of rez gas and the problems subsided.

I've heard similar commentary and accusations prior to that radio segment, and I've heard the same later on. I'm sure if it was more widespread, it would be more widely reported, and while it's just speculation and hearsay and I'm using a radio broadcast from 10+ years ago as an example, I'd rather not find out for myself first hand. Besides, all three area reservations are an inconvenience for me to get to. The gas station on the reservation I mentioned are typically around 50 cents cheaper than regular gas. The reservation that is not too far away from where I work is only about 20 cents cheaper and it is in the opposite direction from where I live. I have either a 28 or 28.5 gallon tank, at most I'd be saving around $5 bucks total by buying Indian gas and probably wasting most of that going out of the way to get it.

I hate, and I mean really hate giving any money whatsoever to this greedy money grubbing POS state of New York, but there are just somethings I can't chance. I've always driven nicer vehicles with big 'ole gas guzzling V8s and I will not risk my Lincoln's just to save a Lincoln at the pump.