Status
Please reply by conversation.

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
My installer was nice but he never really went over how to operate the Genie. He showed me a little bit but not much.

1. Will the Genie tell me if I've reached the recording limit and prompt if there's a conflict with a program?

2. I see there's channel logos on the banner. Will DTV ever put the logos on the actual guide??

3. Is there a way to turn the clicking off on the remote?

4. How do i find out if an episodes new?

5. Can you have more than two custom channel lists?

6. Should that Native setting be turned on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Yes, there will be a progress bar that will tell you when your getting close, also most of the time the DVR is set to delete the oldest show first so you won't miss the current show, however, I suggest not letting it get that low.
There is a 1TB hard drive in it.

2. Don't know.

3. To turn the remote noise off go to:
Menu/Settings/Settings/Audio/ Sound Effects/Volume to OFF.

4.In the guide, or on the program , go to Info, More Info, there it will tell you First Air Date.

5. Don't remember, sorry.

6.Native, that is your choice.

Regarding #6, the Native setting determines whether you want the TV to convert the picture the resolution it's made to handle, or let the DirecTV receiver handle it. Most think the TV will do a better job although this can result in some flickering slowing down channel changes.

#2 would be such an improvement. I recommend you contact them to support it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

#4 contact them too. It's a flaw in the Directv guide that they don't understand. Also, they need episode numbers. For example, I watched "Manhattan" and my stupid HR34 screwed it up, so I had to recorded repeats. The only way to know the proper order to watch the episodes is to look it up online and play them in order. That's ludicrous.

Regarding 2 and 4.. good luck we've been wanting this for sometime.. and it's not on the drawing board for ce releases at this time.

3. If you are referring to the actual click the buttons make when you press them then no that is the hardware of the remote and just the sound it makes when you press on it. As Jimbo stated if you mean the audio of navigating the menus he posted how to turn it off.
5. No not at this time. But keep in mind channels I get is a separate list so it can sort of be list number 3. I preset all boxes I install to that.

6. Is user opinion. I personally hate native since your tv needs to switch resolutions and it causes a lag in changing channels. I default all boxes I install to 1080i and 1080p then shut everything else off.

U
Regarding 2 and 4.. good luck we've been wanting this for sometime.. and it's not on the drawing board for ce releases at this time.

3. If you are referring to the actual click the buttons make when you press them then no that is the hardware of the remote and just the sound it makes when you press on it. As Jimbo stated if you mean the audio of navigating the menus he posted how to turn it off.
5. No not at this time. But keep in mind channels I get is a separate list so it can sort of be list number 3. I preset all boxes I install to that.

6. Is user opinion. I personally hate native since your tv needs to switch resolutions and it causes a lag in changing channels. I default all boxes I install to 1080i and 1080p then shut everything else off.

#6 is definitely user option. I used to be against it but there is a clear subtle improvement when 720p is viewed in 720p on the receiver and TV on my newer TV. To each their own. It's worth experimenting with it. I have 720p 1080i and 1080p checked with native on. It keeps the guide looking crisp if sd is on.

U

#6 is definitely user option. I used to be against it but there is a clear subtle improvement when 720p is viewed in 720p on the receiver and TV on my newer TV. To each their own. It's worth experimenting with it. I have 720p 1080i and 1080p checked with native on. It keeps the guide looking crisp if sd is on.

The only thing I don't like about native is if your moving from channel a that broadcasts 720. To channel b that also broadcasts 720. The tv still flashes to readjust to the same resolution it was just on.

The only thing I don't like about native is if your moving from channel a that broadcasts 720. To channel b that also broadcasts 720. The tv still flashes to readjust to the same resolution it was just on.

My LG TV does not do that. My Samsung did that with a Time Warner box, but never with DirecTV.

4) If you are recording entire seasons, I have noticed that the box will not make multiple recordings of episodes which air multiple times. Just to clarify, I think this is what is meant by "original airing" and "repeat". So if you installed a new box in the middle of a TV season that has a lot of repeats, then each time is sees a particular episode for the first time, that constitutes an "original airing". In other words, "original airing" is not a designation downloaded along with the rest of the guide info, but rather iit is determined by your own machine based on its own previous recordings. It took me a while to come to this conclusion since I usually just record movies.

5) I have noticed that each box (HR-44 and each additional client) has its own set of two favorites lists. You can copy them from one machine to the next, but this is one of the few Client features besides video settings that is actually per machine, and not shared on the Genie receiver.

I can't stand that we don't have episode numbers.

It's been said that DIRECTV actually does get the info from TMS, but apparently they can't figure out how to display it. Maybe less effort spent on next to useless applications and widgets and a bit of time on something that every other provider I've ever used(more than 5) seems quite capable of providing.

And who cares what the original air date is? It's a DVR, the whole point is to time shift, so why would I care what the date it first aired was???

It's been said that DIRECTV actually does get the info from TMS, but apparently they can't figure out how to display it. Maybe less effort spent on next to useless applications and widgets and a bit of time on something that every other provider I've ever used(more than 5) seems quite capable of providing.

And who cares what the original air date is? It's a DVR, the whole point is to time shift, so why would I care what the date it first aired was???

Well said. Like the MLB Network alternate mess, this could be fixed in a few seconds. They can program a receiver to know who is forced to get what locals. Someone can write some software to show basic programming info that they already have. Dish and cable can figure it out. Directv should be able to as well. I asked my mom on her dish network receiver what she would do if the episode numbers weren't included. Her reply was spot on: how can you record something and not know what order to watch it in. I wouldn't pay for a DVR that's got capabilities of digital VCR.

Reactions: keenan
So aren't most of the things I've mentioned such as channel Logos in the Guide and episode and season number, if it's a new episode or not, can't these be fixed in software updates. The logos at least show up on the banner but it's much easier finding it with the logo.

Reactions: ejb1980
I'm upgrading one of my HR24-100's (currently have 2), to a wireless Genie with 3 mini's. After reading some posts around the site, I'm wondering what I will get.

From what I see, I hope to get an H44 with 3 C41 clients. Is that what I should expect or might I get an H34?

It's more likely you will get the HR44, but as you know, no guarantees.

So aren't most of the things I've mentioned such as channel Logos in the Guide and episode and season number, if it's a new episode or not, can't these be fixed in software updates. The logos at least show up on the banner but it's much easier finding it with the logo.

No, D* doesn't show episode numbers, just original air date which is helpful, but it would be nice to have both, then again, if you have the Season and Episode number, you don't need the OA date.

Last edited:

100% agree. Money is spent on logos to associate things with a brand. It is unbelievably easier to find programming. I can't understand why so many fanboys love things the way they are. Overall, Directv is the best. But with these minor improvements they could be even better. Add in the guide discussion from another thread and Directv becomes even better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)