Genie "replace" feature.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bbohica

Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
So I did the 'replace' function on a genie client that I have as "owned", with one that I just got online that would be considered 'leased'. Currently the leased one is functioning. What will happen when I call in to have my owned receiver turned back on as an additional genie client?

So I did the 'replace' function on a genie client that I have as "owned", with one that I just got online that would be considered 'leased'. Currently the leased one is functioning. What will happen when I call in to have my owned receiver turned back on as an additional genie client?
You have a "Owned" Client ?
Are you sure ?

I don't know how you got an owned unit, but you do understand that if you purchase one, doesn't mean you Own it, right ?

If it truely is an Owned unit, nothing would matter, what do you mean by what happens ?
If it is Owned you can turn it on and off as you desire.
If its Leased, you need to return it when your turning it off.

This is the way it is with all recvrs ...
I would verify with D* that it is Owned, and get it in writing.

When a directv employee sells a client its owned, but to verify you must give the RID# of the owned genie it was connected too. That is how the access card dept. verifies it. They will then flag it owned on your account, but make sure they notate it as if you remove, you will have to give the original RID# of the employee again if not notated.

When a directv employee sells a client its owned, but to verify you must give the RID# of the owned genie it was connected too. That is how the access card dept. verifies it. They will then flag it owned on your account, but make sure they notate it as if you remove, you will have to give the original RID# of the employee again if not notated.
Are there really THAT many employees out theres selling all thier recvrs that there are that many Owned units out there ?

Are there really THAT many employees out theres selling all thier recvrs that there are that many Owned units out there ?
Lol! call centers have terrible turnover, where I live their is always a bunch on craigslist.

I think you could add a smart tv to the account and I don't think the genie knows the difference between that and a client.

I'm thinking you could get a client off ebay, activate as if you had a Samsung smart tv and never call in and provide the serial numbers for the client.

I think you could add a smart tv to the account and I don't think the genie knows the difference between that and a client.

I'm thinking you could get a client off ebay, activate as if you had a Samsung smart tv and never call in and provide the serial numbers for the client.
Unfortunately, the RVU TV's that have been reported that I have heard about seem to work poorly, very laggy ... if thats the case, I hope that would not be the deciding factor in buying said TV.

You have a "Owned" Client ?
Are you sure ?

I don't know how you got an owned unit, but you do understand that if you purchase one, doesn't mean you Own it, right ?

If it truely is an Owned unit, nothing would matter, what do you mean by what happens ?
If it is Owned you can turn it on and off as you desire.
If its Leased, you need to return it when your turning it off.

This is the way it is with all recvrs ...
I would verify with D* that it is Owned, and get it in writing.

Yes, it is definitely set up as 'owned', confirmed that today. long story short, we bought it on amazon, and called up and said i wanted to add a used receiver. They transferred me to the CAR team, where the lady said something I thought was rude at the time, she says "well, i'll assume you paid $299 for it and I'll activate it" She had previously asked me where i got it and how much i paid for it, I simply said my wife bought it online and I have no idea how much she spent. Turns out, she was just hooking me up, I really didn't know anything special had happened.

Today, did the same thing for a second receiver, but the person on the phone wanted the scan of the receipt. I had him talked out of requiring the receipt by telling him I paid 289 for it, until I got to the part where I told him it was a C41W, and then he paused and said I didn't have a wireless bridge on my account, to which i replied that I had also purchased that online. I'm not sure why, but then he went on hold, and came back to say that he could only activate it as leased. If I had just said it was a C41 I think it would have been a done deal. Anyway, I prefer to try to not re-up my 2 year if I don't have to, so I'll try again later.

The point of this is though, that I simply got this 'leased' one to work through their replace feature, however, if I log into my account and look at my devices, it still has all of the credentials of the owned C41 that I "replaced", and not the info for the new one. I suppose if I call up to activate it as another receiver, they will tell me that is already activated and on my account, then give me 50 questions about my new C41w? I was thinking of maybe giving my owned receiver to a friend to activate on his account for awhile so the data for it gets linked to someone else, then have it disabled, so when I call up to have it checked, it will link to someone elses account but show as owned.

I think that samsung thing might work, if you activate a samsung as a client, then 'replace' it with a genie client. Does activating a samsung renew your 2 year?

The website says you can replace genie clients online, but i never get the option to replace it, it just shows add. I figure if i could do it through the website it'll update the serial/mac.

Do you have to call to activate a client that you add yourself? I could have sworn I have seen options on the website for activating a receiver...

Do you have to call to activate a client that you add yourself? I could have sworn I have seen options on the website for activating a receiver...

You need a client authorized on the account by calling DirecTV. What you are seeing on the Genie is to add the client to the server, similar to pairing a phone to a car.

I'm not sure if DirecTV would add a client to an account by chat but you could try, worst they would tell you to call in.

You need a client authorized on the account by calling DirecTV. What you are seeing on the Genie is to add the client to the server, similar to pairing a phone to a car.

I'm not sure if DirecTV would add a client to an account by chat but you could try, worst they would tell you to call in.

Should I set it up before contacting them or contact them first and then set it up? (I am guessing that i should set it up first, but I want to be sure)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)