Genie Video stuttering

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rapidturtle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
North Eastern PA
I have an HR34 and the video is stuttering. I called D*, the guy had me change a few settings and reboot, and the problem went away. The next morning it was back, which led to another call, and they had me pull the access card, they reactivated the receiver and rebooted, and all was good again. The next morning, the problem was back, which a simple reboot fixed. It was back again this morning, rebooted again, and it fixed it until I got home from work, which a simple reboot fixed again.
I figured I would call them to let them know the problem still existed. She had me unhook the cable and rehook, thinking maybe it was static in the lines. She said if it happens again, they would set up a service call. My question is, how do I just get them to swap out recievers? The problem seems to be the receiver. All of my other receivers are working fine. I don't have the protection plan and don't want to pay for the service call, if the problem is the Genie. All cables are tight and everything else seems fine.

My guess is the hard drive may be going out. Reboot the receiver, press select at the blue screen that indicates it is testing the receiver, this will load the diagnostic mode.

Run the short hard drive test and see what it says, you can run the long one too but it can take hours.

Either way, a service call is a good idea, you may get upgraded to the HR44 if the tech doesn't have any HR34, which are all refurb at this point. DirecTV doesn't differentiate between them but the HR44 is a faster and more stable receiver.

It's been alright all day today, so maybe it was static in the line? I may be switching over to Dish in a few weeks anyway, so I really don't want to pay for a service call.

It's been alright all day today, so maybe it was static in the line? I may be switching over to Dish in a few weeks anyway, so I really don't want to pay for a service call.
Did she tell you to unplug the cable and the static would run out ?

Everything they told you to do was to clear the trouble, normally a reboot will resolve most issues.

In your case, I think the hard drive is going bad.

IF you were staying with D*, I would suggest calling them back and when they say to do the list of items they run thru, tell them that it now wouldn't power up, chances are they would set up a service call or send you a new one.

Just curious...
Is DISH going to cover your ETF ?

I was a Dish customer before Direct. I have been with Direct for almost 3 years. When I called last June to complain about the price, they gave me a $100 gift card, a $10 discount per month, and the Sunday ticket Max for around $80, but I had to sign on for another year.
Right now, Dish is offering me a $200 gift card (as a returning customer) and their 250 package for around $85 a month for the first year. 1 Hopper, super Joey, and 2 regular Joey's. They didn't say anything about covering the ETF, but I have about 3 months left with Direct, so I figure I still come out ahead of the game with the $200. I really like Direct, so when I call to cancel, if they offer me any good deals, I might just stay. This stuff is just getting way to expensive. Dish makes me a little nervous though, with their channel disputes, which is one of the reasons I am hesitant.

I was a Dish customer before Direct. I have been with Direct for almost 3 years. When I called last June to complain about the price, they gave me a $100 gift card, a $10 discount per month, and the Sunday ticket Max for around $80, but I had to sign on for another year.
Right now, Dish is offering me a $200 gift card (as a returning customer) and their 250 package for around $85 a month for the first year. 1 Hopper, super Joey, and 2 regular Joey's. They didn't say anything about covering the ETF, but I have about 3 months left with Direct, so I figure I still come out ahead of the game with the $200. I really like Direct, so when I call to cancel, if they offer me any good deals, I might just stay. This stuff is just getting way to expensive. Dish makes me a little nervous though, with their channel disputes, which is one of the reasons I am hesitant.
Too expensive, yup your right ... I was just talking to them tonight, I am spending $140 a month.
I currently have zero credits with them, wanted to re up and they offered me a $15 discount for next month, thats it, just one time $15.
I've been with them for 10 years and they offered me nothing, oh 1/2 price on a movie channel for 6 months, I passed.

I will call back in a few weeks and see whats up.

Too expensive, yup your right ... I was just talking to them tonight, I am spending $140 a month.
I currently have zero credits with them, wanted to re up and they offered me a $15 discount for next month, thats it, just one time $15.
I've been with them for 10 years and they offered me nothing, oh 1/2 price on a movie channel for 6 months, I passed.

I will call back in a few weeks and see whats up.

That's a slap in the face... For as long as you've been a customer they should offer you a gift card and credits . Even with freebies they give customers, they make plenty in profit I'm sure. People would remain more loyal if the cost wasn't outrageous.

That's a slap in the face... For as long as you've been a customer they should offer you a gift card and credits . Even with freebies they give customers, they make plenty in profit I'm sure. People would remain more loyal if the cost wasn't outrageous.
The person I spoke with about a month ago when I was originally gonna do this, said to wait till yesterday when my credits dropped off and they would have more to offer. Si I did and I was offered what I mentioned, then he said to call back in a few weeks and credits will be available, apparently they don't show up right away.
So I'm told.

I'm around the same price as you Jimbo. I am at $125 a month with the Xtra pack and HBO and CInemax. Cinemax free for 3 months. I usually don't have any premiums, but I got it for Game of Thrones. I'm in the last month of the $10 off the Xtra pack, and will loose another $10 discount in 3 months. So I figure I will be paying $130 to $140 a month to watch T.V.
with no premiums. I know I could drop down my programming, but the next lowest wont save me anymore than $10 a month. That's pretty steep. The other thing that burns me, I pay $42 a month in equipment fees. If the receiver does break, I have to pay them $50 for a service call? That's one good thing about cable, just take your box to your provider and swap it out.

Damn Jimbo, you should be a D* tech. My hard drive just took a complete crap. They are sending me out a new receiver. Hope it makes it here by the weekend. I miss my DVR already, and its only been gone for a few hours.

Damn Jimbo, you should be a D* tech. My hard drive just took a complete crap. They are sending me out a new receiver. Hope it makes it here by the weekend. I miss my DVR already, and its only been gone for a few hours.
Nah, I do enough troubleshooting and set up for friends and family ...
Its gonna be interesting when ATT finally does get to a point of doing installs ... I never thought it would happen and I still don't think our departments will handle them, I think they will continue to be done by those that are currently doing them, at least I hope.

Alot of the D* stuff has gotten much more complicated in the last 5 years or so, between that and the ever changing route My job takes, its hard to keep up with everything.

Got my replacement receiver on Friday, which is great because I ordered it on Wednesday night. They sent me another HR 34, which I'm alright with. Of course I would have preferred the 44, but I'll take the 34 with no $50 service call fee. I used to have Cablevision, and their DVR's were the definition of laggy, so I have no issues with my 34....
Thanks for your help guys.

Got my replacement receiver on Friday, which is great because I ordered it on Wednesday night. They sent me another HR 34, which I'm alright with. Of course I would have preferred the 44, but I'll take the 34 with no $50 service call fee. I used to have Cablevision, and their DVR's were the definition of laggy, so I have no issues with my 34....
Thanks for your help guys.
Glad to see that your back in business !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts