Getting away from broker

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sandman989

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Michigan
I've had service with Bell though a broker for about 4 1/2 years. I would like to get rid of the broker and take over the account myself so I can have more access to the account, and to save some money not having to pay the broker fees. I don't wan to simply cancel and start a new account, though, because I have an older package that includes timeshifting, something that it doesn't look like Bell offers anymore. Has anyone successfully broken up with their broker without having to cancel and then restart their account?

You'd have to talk to your broker as they may not want to hand it over if their the ones who set it up & maintain it. As for Timeshifting. Bell still offers it on all new packages, so if you did start a new account you can still have Timeshifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to remember a thread (from years ago) mentioning someone having used a broker for years, and after some years, the broker had shared with the customer the access code to handle the account via internet, I think after some time it was possible to break up and go solo.
At least that´s what I recall, that thread could be about four years old, other than that I don´t remember any similar case, assuming my recollections are accurate and assuming that was really the case.

That's welcome news about the timeshifting. Do you know if it's for the Canadian and American networks? I'll just have to give them a call and see if they're willing to let me break away. If I do end up cancelling my current account, can I still use my same receiver when I open a new one, and how long should I wait between closing the old and opening the new?

Yes.. time shifting is for both US and Canadian networks. You can wait 5 seconds between closing and opening another one..as long as your current IRD is cleared to be transferred.

You'll have to give 30 days notice & pay the final invoice then you'd be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My broker went out of business a few years back, but fortunately I was able to figure out my account number from my credit card bill and set up on-line management of my account. So unless they have another access card swap, which they haven't done for quite a few years, I'm OK.

Pooka-Yes, does my broking and I've been in contact via Email about two weeks ago.

My e-mail to TVM got rejected tonight. When I tried calling I got an out of service message. Can I PM you to get TVM's contact info?

I can't speak for Bell service, but I just recently set up my own Shaw account without a broker.

I called their toll free number with my US cell phone, I provided them with a virtual phone number in BC that forwards to my cell phone. I gave them the address to a mail forwarding service in BC, that I'm paying to only use for the first bill. I have a Canadian chequing account so I jumped on Shaw's website after I got the account set up, and I set up my account for bank withdrawl auto-pay as well as turned on paperless billing. I did this from a US IP address.

So apparently there's no need to mask your location when you call into Shaw, as long as you can provide them a Canadian phone number and address. The Canadian chequing account is simply a luxury and you don't need it to pay Shaw. You can use a US debit/credit card. The only reason I have it is because I have plans to move to Canada eventually, and I had to actually go to a Canadian bank in person to open the account.

The ONLY confusion that arose with customer service was that I set up the dish myself from equipment that I already had from a previous install. They were getting ready to schedule an install until I told them otherwise. Other than that, no questions about why I was calling from a US line.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I can't speak for Bell service, but I just recently set up my own Shaw account without a broker.

I called their toll free number with my US cell phone, I provided them with a virtual phone number in BC that forwards to my cell phone. I gave them the address to a mail forwarding service in BC, that I'm paying to only use for the first bill. I have a Canadian chequing account so I jumped on Shaw's website after I got the account set up, and I set up my account for bank withdrawl auto-pay as well as turned on paperless billing. I did this from a US IP address.

So apparently there's no need to mask your location when you call into Shaw, as long as you can provide them a Canadian phone number and address. The Canadian chequing account is simply a luxury and you don't need it to pay Shaw. You can use a US debit/credit card. The only reason I have it is because I have plans to move to Canada eventually, and I had to actually go to a Canadian bank in person to open the account.

The ONLY confusion that arose with customer service was that I set up the dish myself from equipment that I already had from a previous install. They were getting ready to schedule an install until I told them otherwise. Other than that, no questions about why I was calling from a US line.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

How much are you paying monthly for the virtual Canadian phone number and the Canadian mail forwarding service ?

How much are you paying monthly for the virtual Canadian phone number and the Canadian mail forwarding service ?

The virtual phone number is like $5/mo and the forwarding service is like $8/mo, but I only intend to keep it for the first bill.

I understand that if I were to keep the address service and virtual phone number that I'd be paying more than I would be for the average broker, but it'd still be worth it to me, to be able to manage my own account instead of having to deal with brokers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)