Glorystar vs SatelliteAV dealer

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I advertised regularly, had a website easily found by google. Worked well, 5 to 10 years ago. Then only referrals by word of mouth. I didn't get 450 customers by word of mouth - however as the business declined - those 450 customers were the only "promotion" that worked. My new customers now are Roku. No money for a business there, if they have a 10 year old grandchild - they have a tech in house!
Bob

Well anyone of you needing a pro site come to PAPA! lol j/k but if you need one give me a message and I probly could hook you up with something very special. Looking for work as always.

Id agree with most of what people have said here. While im not in the business of selling systems the ones i put in for neighbors were converted dishes simply because they didnt want or have the money to spend on the equipment. And rokus wouldnt even do anything for them because they dont have internet. Ive had a lot of interest in my community simply because i was the crazy guy putting one of those "big ugly dishes" and i know a lot of the people in the community and they simply asked why and i showed them. Because of this when one of the churches i do work for had the roof redone they asked me to reinstall the glorystar system they had because simply put the guy that installed it wasnt in business anymore and they couldnt find anyone else to do it. The 2 c-band dishes i installed were ones we picked up while working mowing or landscaping and they were for employees that wanted them. Ive made a total profit of 0 dollars on the ones i have installed mainly because the ones i put in were for people i personally knew. Tv antennas are a whole different story, which surprisingly i have put several in over the last 4 months as people are pretty ticked at the small dish providers (specifically directv) and have been cutting the cord since we now have fiber to the home and wanted a tv antenna to supplement the rokus and fire sticks ect.

I inquired at my insurance company while having COI's sent out about the insurance and simply put since im already insured as an electrician(required for sprinkler system installs) general contracting (required since i install retaining walls, and stone planters ect) im covered on these installs (also have a plumbing insurance too). So i asked the city about the licence stuff and again it already falls under the current licencing I have. So in theory I could go into business installing these things but i sure dont wanna mess around with it. If its a friend that wants it ill just help em out. If i get swamped with calls I could do em on an as needed basis but i dont see it happening. Honestly I do see interest in it locally, but once people hear how much equipment costs they just dont wanna spend the money. I had a customer that stopped by and said she had a c-band dish in her yard that she wanted to make work but dont know how serious she is about it, and havent had time to even go look at it. If you already have everything in place (which is different depending on your location and local laws) such as insurance and licencing and you didnt have a bunch tied up in inventory probably wouldnt be a big deal, im just not super interested in doing it because A) i probably only know enough about this to be dangerous and B) im already swamped with the work I already have. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Wescopc
I was actually looking at doing this a couple of years ago during my off-season. Talked to a few local Church groups and Ministers/Clergy etc. Seems the ones that I thought would be really interested in satellite were not there yet or couldn't seem to wrap their head around satellite delivery, and separate FTA that from what Bell and Shaw deliver. I set up a couple for free basically to let them know what is available, but never really heard anything from them.

I took from that that if installation was free (and receiver from e-bay was almost free) then they were a little bit interested. Other than that they would rather not have a it in the house. Interesting to note that the groups I thought would be interested are not really supposed to have TVs or radios (but they have anyway), but internet and IP delivery is just fine, including smart phone and tablet based products.

Other "communities" such as LDS have their own IP/satellite delivery and take care of their own equipment and customer service etc.

I think (opinion only) you really need to be a member of the group/religion/community in order to do such technical work for them... and be a good volunteer. Maybe things are different in other places, but that's my experience in this area.

Reactions: Wescopc
When I sold my manufacturing business in 2007, I needed something to do. I signed up with Glorystar/SatelliteAV. I would order dishes by the pallet load and unload them with a forklift at my shop. I would order satellite receivers in quantity. Made a nice retirement business. I have to be licensed in Oregon - my renewal in 2016 was $1,395! That included Contractors license - $360 (required), Continuing education - $135 (required for all contractors), Bond - $250 (required for all contractors), Liability insurance - $500 (required for all contractors), city Business license - $50, Secretary of State business registration renewal - $100.

In the last three years I have installed 5 systems. One of those was a used system and the only system I installed in 2016. I have dishes in stock that I have had for 5 years! I do some service on previously installed systems (I have 450 customer in the books).

In the last three weeks I have REMOVED 4 FTA satellite systems and installed One Roku STB and Three Roku TV's in their place. I have 7 used dishes - ready for the scrap yard in my back yard. The Roku boxes have over 1200 religious stations for free - FTA satellite can't start to compete with a $29.99 Roku STB! Or a $199 40 inch Roku HD TV from Best Buy!

I would suggest that if you are in a metropolitan area (I'm in Portland Oregon area), with internet of a least 3 Mbps - there are very few FTA installs to be had.

Bob Westcott
Bob, I agree so much of the stuff is now on my Roku I hardly ever mess with my FTA anymore. Guess like myself everyone like the plug in play no fuss method today. Almost anyone can hook up a Roku themselves.

I actually prefer the fta over nearly everything else (except HBO, Showtime ECT which i cant get fta) and im impatiently awaiting the contract on my directv to be up so i dont have to pay a penalty to cancel. Internet tv is useful, and I really like the on demand aspect of it but for regular viewing i prefer my fta dishes and ota antenna.

Thanks for everyone's replies, they were and are very helpful. Right now I am going to proceed a bit slower, gauge the market (if there is one) and see what i can turn up. I have a few boxes that look like they will be sold, so we will see how it goes though.

Reactions: olliec420
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)