Goodbye GenieGo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
For those of you who own a GenieGo Unit, SatelliteGuys has learned that on November 4, 2016 all customers GenieGo's will receive an update which will render the GenieGo non operational.

According to DIRECTV, "We previously detailed the decision to end sales of GenieGO due to our shift to a next-generation solution, which debuted in September as feature enhancements to the DIRECTV App that largely replace and, in some cases, go beyond the functionality provided by GenieGO. In certain situations, customers may need to delete and then reinstall the DIRECTV App on their mobile devices to provide full functionality once their GenieGO device has been disabled."

We are being told by DIRECTV that GenieGo owners will be contacted by DIRECTV to let them know that the GenieGO is being phased out.

More as we know it.

and that new software only works on hr44 and hr54, so im guessing genie-go owners will get free upgrades to that hardware?

Thanks Scott for the update ...

My GG1 has been disconnected and put out to pasture for months now in my scrap pile, but still kept it around just in case DIRECTV created a future option to use it again. Now I see it's officially never coming back and may safely discard it as trash now.

Humm ... oh well, good thing I never actually paid for it ....

Retention gave it to me for free a few years ago for being such a long time customer always in good standing.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

and that new software only works on hr44 and hr54, so im guessing genie-go owners will get free upgrades to that hardware?

I don't believe so...

Just getting more information now from DIRECTV...

Just got this which i going to be provided to the techs...

We’ve provided some key talking points below that can help facilitate a smoother conversation with the customer:

• If the customer is upset about losing GenieGO functionality:
    • A majority of customers that own GenieGO already have an HR44 or higher receiver model, which means they can take advantage of all the great features offered in the DIRECTV App, including live-streaming. Customers who do not already have eligible hardware are being offered Genie upgrades to ensure they continue to enjoy these features. Explain to customers with the eligible hardware that they can now use the DIRECTV App to live-stream all channels from their programming package anywhere, and they can view recorded content from their Genie both in and outside their home via live-streaming or downloading.
  • If the customer is concerned by not being able to pull content from all HD-DVRs:
    • Though most GenieGO functionality is now available through the DIRECTV App, content from non-Genie DVRs in the home will not be available through the DIRECTV App. If the customer is concerned by this loss of functionality, explain that the Genie is intended to be the central hub for content viewing in the home, and the advanced capabilities of the Genie make it possible for the DIRECTV App to provide a better experience than GenieGO. Plus, there is tons of great content to stream directly via the DIRECTV App – no downloading required!
  • If technicians run into a more challenging conversation with a customer over the loss of their GenieGO device:
    • Please direct the customer to call Customer Care – those agents are trained on how to handle more difficult situations related to the GenieGO sunset process. Technicians should NOT make this call for the customer.

also iirc the genie go didnt need an internet connection, but the app does.

No mention of what to say to people with laptops or other Windows devices...

I used mine all the time. You could download programs to it and then watch them without an internet connection. Great for long flights, or countries where internet was erratic.

..and good riddance. The POS failed me more times than it worked. This was the beginning of the end for me with DirecTV. Offloading from my Tivos works tremendously well.

For long trips with the kids in the car!
My cell phone, and tablets download movies.
As our van also has 3 tvs, 2 DVD players, and if you want you can even bring your PS4.

Nothing Dish or Directv is that important that can wait till we got back from our long road trip.

My cell phone, and tablets download movies.
As our van also has 3 tvs, 2 DVD players, and if you want you can even bring your PS4.

Nothing Dish or Directv is that important that can wait till we got back from our long road trip.

Well yes....I get real sick and tired of the same movies over and over....So they can take a movie(I dont have to pay) or some programs from there favorite channels.....You start using it you would be surprised...The Xbox is fine for the boy....My girl could care less.......

For existing users of the GenieGO any mention how one gets notified how to make changes to the new system?
As noted above, it says you may need to delete and reinstall app. How does one know that they need to do that?
Will I still be able to use my macbook air app?
What do I do with the old GenieGO , I doubt they want it back?

Cricket (AT&T) with unlimited data for the week / month / whatever you are gone.

Slingbox

Plex server

All I generally ever need when travelling all of North America.

Going to be interesting to see what kind of pricing and service their DirectvNOW comes in at.

For existing users of the GenieGO any mention how one gets notified how to make changes to the new system?
As noted above, it says you may need to delete and reinstall app. How does one know that they need to do that?
Will I still be able to use my macbook air app?
What do I do with the old GenieGO , I doubt they want it back?
The old GenieGo app is dead. Just to be safe uninstall/reinstall the DIRECTV app and then go into settings and register the app for the new mobile DVR function.
Your MacBook Air won't be able to use the new mobile DVR function, just apps support it.
The old GenieGo, recycle it somewhere that takes old electronics since it's now a paperweight.

I am able to use the Genie Go app on my iMac using the internal Mobile DVR. I retired and recycled my Genie Go gen 1 hardware about 4 months ago when we moved.

My hope would be that it continues to work after they disable the GenieGo hardware, or as unlikely as it is, that they reinvest in the apps on Mac and Windows.

I don't believe it will work after November 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Any new info on Directv Now streaming service?
Things are being hush hush about how this will work.
Several network deals have been signed.
With Roku about to OS 7.5 into the stream, I'm hoping for big time changes to Roku's interface that Directv Now can really take advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

There is no all in one app for Windows devices, that will let you watch your playlist AND stream all the channels live. However, there is a workaround until and if DirecTV provides such an app. You can go to the DirecTV.com site and stream many channel, but unfortunately not locals. Or sports, although foxsportsgo.com works for many of those. Most importantly, the Geniego app DOES still work on Windows devices to access what you have recorded on your DVR, and to download it to your device. My GenieGo box has been disconnected for weeks, but the GenieGo app still works. You do need to make sure that you have the latest version, which you can download from here https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/directv/KM1040967
I had to delete the old version I had installed on several devices and then install this one. It will spend some time looking for a GenieGo and then go ahead and download your playlist. It will download the playlist from the last time I used it, but when I tell it to refresh it updates to the current playlist with no hesitation. I'm still hoping for a full featured app, but unless DirecTV does something dumb on Nov. 4 that not only disables the GenieGo hardware but also disables the software this is manageable. The fact that they have developed an app which doesn't need the hardware is hopeful. Strange though that they don't communicate that.

I don't believe so...

Just getting more information now from DIRECTV...

Just got this which i going to be provided to the techs...
LOL...IN reading the talking points issued by the company, it appears that placating customers by jerking their chain is the rule of the day..
Quite frankly, I got sick and tired of having to resell the product. My first reaction was to direct the customer to call the customer service dept.

Status
Please reply by conversation.