Got some answers, FWIW, at DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
charper1 said:
All cleared up, so no more need to panic or claim DirecTV conspiracy.
"The device features two DirecTV inputs, two ATSC tuners, one satellite in, HDMI, component, composite, and a digital coaxial audio."
How about a ntsc (analog tuner)?

Stargazer said:
DirecTv would save some money on the hardware costs by not having the HD tuner in the receivers as well.

The webpage that CPanther posted shows an ASTC input, and it has been discussed before how the cost of an ASTC tuner doesn't amount to much.

However, I'm more interested in this qoute from the page that CPanther posted:

HD TiVo owners who live in other parts of the US can either wait a little longer for the same deal or purchase the HR20 for only $99 smackers. Brand new customers will pay approximately $200 for the device and will get a significant mail-in rebate, according to DirecTV.

Admittedly, they also stated
By select, the company means owners who live in the PST or MT areas of the United States, as these regions will be the first to make the switch to MPEG-4 broadcasts.
but still, the above price would definately make the HR20 very interesting...

~Alan

Keep in mind the "purchase for $99" to upgrade prior to your designated time is referring to an upgrade from an HD-Tivo. Not a flat purchase price off the shelf. ($200)

Still not bad - but either will require a 2 year commitment.

It will make for some interesting decisions for the Eastern half. How long into the Pacific/Mountain swap will the Tivo retain it's $300 value on ebay?

I've always been operating under the assumption that I willl hang onto my Tivos as long as absolutely possible - some time after a free upgrade is offered. However, if upgrading early means I can still sell my HD-Tivos for $300 a pop and net $200 per unit - I might jump early.

CPanther95 said:
Keep in mind the "purchase for $99" to upgrade prior to your designated time is referring to an upgrade from an HD-Tivo. Not a flat purchase price off the shelf. ($200)
Still not bad - but either will require a 2 year commitment.

While I would prefer the TiVo software over the NDS software any day of the week, $99 upgrade is not bad at all, nor is $200 for those who don't have an HD-DVR.

2-Year-Commitment means nothing to me, since our only other choice is Dish Network, and I still have SD DirecTiVo's throughout the rest of the house.

~Alan

CPanther95 said:
It will make for some interesting decisions for the Eastern half. How long into the Pacific/Mountain swap will the Tivo retain it's $300 value on ebay?
I've always been operating under the assumption that I willl hang onto my Tivos as long as absolutely possible - some time after a free upgrade is offered. However, if upgrading early means I can still sell my HD-Tivos for $300 a pop and net $200 per unit - I might jump early.

I read it, and thought the writer of the article was misunderstood regarding DirecTV's HD-LIL rollout...

~Alan

CPanther95 said:

Meanwhile, we're able to report some fantastic news for early adopters who picked up a DirecTV TiVo HD DVR. DirecTV reps confirmed to us today that the HR20will be made available "completely free of charge" to select HD TiVo owners as soon as the former becomes available. By select, the company means owners who live in the PST or MT areas of the United States, as these regions will be the first to make the switch to MPEG-4 broadcasts. HD TiVo owners who live in other parts of the US can either wait a little longer for the same deal or purchase the HR20 for only $99 smackers.

He's saying that people who live in the Pacific and Mountain areas will be the first to receive MPEG-4 broadcasts, which to me implies HD-LIL since there are people (on both Coasts) receiving MPEG-4 now... and it would be rather strange (IMO) to see people on the West Coast receiving new HD Nationals in MPEG-4 even if the people on the East Coast (Atlanta, NY, etc...) are capable of receiving MPEG-4 (H20, AT9).

If I'm wrong, correct me, because I'm confused.

~Alan

It's a separate issue from HD-LILs. This is for the conversion of existing customers to MPEG4. They are controlling the upgrade by region so they aren't trying to upgrade all 700k in one huge batch.

The only reason to focus initial upgrades to Pacific and Mountain would be their intention to remove the LA MPEG2 channels to free up national MPEG2 space. I'd imagine the number of customers getting LA locals via MPEG2 are dwarfed by those getting NY locals - so this is the quickest way to free up that bandwidth and will require much fewer conversions (and hardware) in the west.

CPanther95 said:
It's a separate issue from HD-LILs. This is for the conversion of existing customers to MPEG4. They are controlling the upgrade by region so they aren't trying to upgrade all 700k in one huge batch.
The only reason to focus initial upgrades to Pacific and Mountain would be their intention to remove the LA MPEG2 channels to free up national MPEG2 space. I'd imagine the number of customers getting LA locals via MPEG2 are dwarfed by those getting NY locals - so this is the quickest way to free up that bandwidth and will require much fewer conversions (and hardware) in the west.

That makes a lot of sense... I didn't think of that... hmm...

~Alan

CPanther95 said:
I'd imagine the number of customers getting LA locals via MPEG2 are dwarfed by those getting NY locals
Has anyone broken down O&O's by region? If that is the case, then are there going to be some smaller markets in the west upgraded before larger markets in the east. Namely, SLC at #36 which is a FOX O&O.

But the west first would be good news for Denver subs.

Last edited:
Remember, this isn't going to determine which markets get HD-LIL - and/or when they get them. That will still be done by DMA.

This only serves to upgrade those subs that are relying on MPEG2 LA channels - either in LA, DNS white areas, and who qualify in an O&O market.

herdfan said:
Has anyone broken down O&O's by region?

It was announced the other day that NBC is fixing to sale some of their O&O stations. Which ones these are, I don't know, but I thought I'd mention it.

~Alan

CPanther95 said:
Remember, this isn't going to determine which markets get HD-LIL - and/or when they get them. That will still be done by DMA.
This only serves to upgrade those subs that are relying on MPEG2 LA channels - either in LA, DNS white areas, and who qualify in an O&O market.

So what are they going to do with Salt Lake City HD subs who are getting the LA FOX feed. SLC is a FOX O&O. Are they going to upgrade the current SLC subs and give them the LA Feed via MPEG-4? Will they just upgrade the receiver and change the LA feeds over to MPEG-4 but leave them on CONUS Ku? That could free up 2 transponders. Or will they upgrade the entire DMA?

herdfan said:
So what are they going to do with Salt Lake City HD subs who are getting the LA FOX feed. SLC is a FOX O&O. Are they going to upgrade the current SLC subs and give them the LA Feed via MPEG-4? Will they just upgrade the receiver and change the LA feeds over to MPEG-4 but leave them on CONUS Ku? That could free up 2 transponders. Or will they upgrade the entire DMA?

Not sure exactly, because I have no clue as to the size and scope of each Spaceway spotbeam. My guess is that since there is no reason that LA locals need to be the market used for DNS and O&O customers - they will pick an HD-LIL market that is currently up in MPEG4 that shares a spotbeam that covers that particular area of the country.

I'm also assuming they will give preference to using markets that include a FOX O&O station (and all of the Big4 in HD) for obvious reasons.

As far as SLC - they are market #36 and would likely be up in MPEG4 early this year anyway. Well before this western US transition would be complete.

Last edited:
i have a question for all of you.

and panther, i respect the hell out of you.

but, i want an answer.

does comcast provide you a sat dish or an antenna? no!

does adelphia give you an off air antenna? no!

does dish give you an off air antenna for waht it cant provide you? no!

why do you think that directv HAS to provide you a tuner for something they cant charge for?? and next thing the tech HAS to put it up to YOUR liking ..................shades of VOOM!!!!!

please dont rant or flame, just give me a reason that does NOT come from the government.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts