"Hacking" the Roku

Looks like "Amazon Prime" is $79 a year ($6.58 a month). Compared to HULU at $7.99 a month this might just be a better deal. Does "Amazon Prime" include short commercials like HULU?

Just answered my own question. Looks like a good deal and includes free 2 day shipping on all Amazon orders.

Amazon Prime now includes unlimited, commercial-free, instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows at no additional cost.

Looks like "Amazon Prime" is $79 a year ($6.58 a month). Compared to HULU at $7.99 a month this might just be a better deal. Does "Amazon Prime" include short commercials like HULU?

Amazon prime also gives you free 2 day shipping from Amazon.

It is closer to netflix than Hulu.

No commercials.Honestly its a very good deal.Netflix has more content than Prime but,you get the added free shipping with Amazon.My only complaint to Prime is the fact they don't offer it on a monthly or quarterly basis.

If you are currently a student (or have a .edu email to at least verify) you can get Amazon Prime Student for $39 a year which includes the streaming.

Playon Tip: Use the latest model computer with the most memory possible to obtain the best video streaming results.

This morning I tried my laptop (CPU: 2.20GHz, Memory: 2GB, Windows 8 Pro) once again for several hours testing the Playon server application with mixed results. The GUI channel program selection wasn't as fast as expected and most video streaming resulted in breakups and multiple buffering.

I then downloaded the same Playon server application onto my wife's new laptop (CPU: 2.30GHz, Memory: 4GB, Windows 8 Pro) while she was away. :) I then selected the Playon app on the ROKU XS and immediately noticed that the GUI selection was much faster. I then tried viewing the same test programming within each of the channels and experienced NO problems. The videos started much faster and there was NO breakups or multiple buffering going on. I now just ordered a memory upgrade for my laptop to make it 4GB as well, especially since Windows 8 is 64 bit and uses the extra memory. When I purchased the laptop it came with Windows 7 and 2GB of memory.

Now the $40 lifetime fee for Playon isn't so bad. I will certainly be giving it more thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts