HAM Radio on TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
Many evenings we watch the syndicated episodes of the TV series Last Man Standing while eating dinner. I noticed Tim Allen's character had a ham shack setup in the background of his office with a wall covered with QSL cards and various pieces of radio equipment several years ago when I first started watching.

Last week they aired a Thanksgiving episode where he and his grandson used the radio in a scene to get away from the holiday family get together.

On another episode he was reading a copy of QST magazine. Most people watching probably didn't even notice.

There's a Munsters episode where Herman thought he was talking to Martians.

I have watched some of that show, but now much into sitcoms.
I do like that they are putting more ham radio into things.
I also notice from ARRL and QRZ that the number of hams is growing fast again!

I also notice from ARRL and QRZ that the number of hams is growing fast again!
I think the proliferation of repeaters has a lot to do with people getting back into Ham radio. The next logical step is expanding from 2M & 70cm to 6 meters and that often leads to HF. Gotta love the direction it's taking. I've sat here on my 2 meter and talked to a guy in Wales getting ready for bed followed by a guy in Guam on his way to work and then had a conversation with a guy on a tugboat pushing a barge on the Hudson River. How cool is that? A few years ago that was unthinkable.

If memory serves me correctly there is a Bowery Boys movie where Satch (a.k.a. Horace Debussy Jones, in real life Huntz Hall) has an ersatz ham radio station in the back room of Louie's Sweet Shop. Have to check that one out.

I was watching some episodes of Highway Patrol I had recorded back in 2010 when I still had a local THIS TV affiliate. I ran across an episode from 1955 where they were trying to locate a ham radio operator that had purchased a device that was radioactive.

They contacted the ARRL to put a message on a daily news broadcast they aired.
IMG_20170821_114058.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)