Hard Drive Failure - Error 311 - on my 722 ViP

Visitor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
The Big Apple
Oh, well, it looks like one of my 722s has experienced a hard drive failure. I received the Hard Drive Failure error message 311 that tells me to unplug the receiver for 10 seconds and plug it back in to see if the error would go away. It doesn't and there went my recordings of the Bejing Olympics and a Jonas Brothers movie (not mine, lol) amongst other things. I can only watch things live on this IRD.

Assuming that this will have to be replaced - does anyone know if a replacement requires an on-site visit by a tech? I'd hate to have to take a day off work for this. Also, perhaps I will look into seeing if upgrading to the 922 would be worth it..

Actually - this comes at a time where I'm weighing my options on what to do since it seems that NY regional sports channels will never come back to Dish - so perhaps this is a "good" thing to happen. LOL

Thanks!

They will send you a replacement. If you upgrade, they may want to send a tech.

I just went through this also with my 722 last weekend. Live TV worked for a little while until everything quit working, used ota for the indy race on Sunday.
I contacted 1 of the DIRT members and had receiver ra'd last Saturday night. Received replacement Wednesday afternoon only to have it DOA. On the phone this time & aggravated with the refurbished junk they sent out. Finally another replacement came Friday evening & with my fingers crossed it worked. Now if it will only take the new software update, been trying all weekend to get it to take with no luck.

Thanks for the heads up... I'll weigh my options and perhaps try to contact them online somehow. Sending a tech just for an IRD swap wouldn't be my favorite option (unless they could pinpoint a specific hour on a weekend - LOL). I'm hoping that I don't end up getting into a loop of returning 722s! :)

If you get a replacement and are on the eastern arc, the instructions included are wrong. They were written for a mixed arc. When it calls for a check switch, it tries to look for a warc bird. Instead go to Point Dish, select 72.7 and select done.

When a replacement receiver is sent out, it has factory software loaded onto the receiver. Once the replacement receiver is installed and the steps followed, the software, firmware, and EPG are updated to the current versions. If it will not update, there is a problem with the receiver. A check switch needs to be run initially to place the satellite information onto the receiver. After the check switch test is completed and the satellite information is added to the Installation Summary screen, once you exit out of the screens and menus, the download should take place. It normally takes about 20 minutes.

Ray,
Have they updated the instructions for installation for the EARC yet? When I replaced my 722 lastr Feb, the instructions were outdated. The instuctions were for a mixed arc system (Dish 500). When I ran check switch I kept getting an error message that I wasn't pointed at the correct satellite. I had to call for help.

Ray,
Have they updated the instructions for installation for the EARC yet? When I replaced my 722 lastr Feb, the instructions were outdated. The instuctions were for a mixed arc system (Dish 500). When I ran check switch I kept getting an error message that I wasn't pointed at the correct satellite. I had to call for help.

It's been awhile since I read the instructions that are included with a replacement receiver, but I know what you're talking about (taken that call many times). I don't think it's been updated though.

After you run a check switch, and try to exit, it pops up with the 060 "The signal you are receiving is not from the satellite you selected...". The way around this is to:

1) Get to the point dish screen (make sure a check switch test has been ran)

2a) For Eastern Arc customers, change the satellite number to 72.7, or 77
2b) For Western Arc customers, change the satellite number to 119

3) Wait for the signal bar at the bottom to turn green and say "Locked - Echostar XXX West"

4) Once locked, select done, it should give the 055 message (says something similar to "is the mounting and positioning of your dish good?"), select yes

5) The receiver goes to the 061 message, downloading new software, eventually ending up on the 129 (needs to be activated) message.

**note** - If the receiver will not lock on signal, hard reset the receiver, run a check switch again, and all will be well.

Maybe you can get the moderators to put this info into a sticky thread. That was the procedure that I did in Feb when I replaced my 722. Another thing would be to include the info that the ehd should only be attached after the receiver is full activated. I made the mistake of doing it before and wondered why it would not power up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts