Has anyone else had issues dealing with Dish Network.

454LS6

Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Dish Network.. . In my opinion they are the biggest bunch of thieves I have dealt with in a while. I canceled their services and they tacked on a hefty cancellation fee. They had without my knowledge or permission signed me up for an additional 2 years... I have been very careful not to extend my commitment since I was thinking about cancelling. Now there is no chance I would deal with them ever again.

Tried one more time to resolve... Got back the following response "The contract is to be disclosed to you at the time the installation is setup and also a contract is signed when the technician installs the service" This never happened and the installer said the papers were just to verify the installation... Again, thieves!

So you are saying you completed whatever contract you were under when you signed up for service originally, made no changes in equipment or service that would extend your contract and Dish arbitrarily extended your contract for 2 more years? If so, you may have a case, but I am not a lawyer, and I have not stayed in any motel lately.
These contracts with services that use them are the source of much bile from people who do not necessarily understand what they are signing up for or how the contract works.

I would have to agree with Templeton 0543. If you have finished 24 months from the original install date. With no added equipment. This means no added or new DVR's, receivers and new dish and so on. There would be know way to renew another 24 month term? There simply is no way for that to happen and I have never heard of that before. This explanation makes no sense. Either you misunderstood your commitment, it was not explained correctly from the beginning. So if I understand you have been with Dish between 2 and 4 years?

Contact a DIRT member and have them look into your account. In my experience, when Dish makes an error and it is pointed out properly, they correct it. However, Dish does not require a contact to be physically signed in order to be in existence, be extended or another two year contract to occur.

Reactions: navychop
So you are saying you completed whatever contract you were under when you signed up for service originally, made no changes in equipment or service that would extend your contract and Dish arbitrarily extended your contract for 2 more years? If so, you may have a case, but I am not a lawyer, and I have not stayed in any motel lately.
These contracts with services that use them are the source of much bile from people who do not necessarily understand what they are signing up for or how the contract works.
I called after 8 years of service to cancel because of my defective VIP922... Locked up regularly.. They replaced it twice with refurbished units, but I never got one that worked... Of course they do not make it easy to cancel... they sent me over to customer retention and they talked me into getting the hopper with no additional sign up period. I stressed that I was not sure I was going to stay with dish, and would not extend... They agreed to that. The hopper, while it had problems was an improvement, but I just don't get any value out of most of what Dish offers, so I cancelled. THat is when they told me that they had signed me up for 2 more years. Their position is that the installation tech should have informed me.. I did sign what was presented as an installation verification, which they say had some fine print on it. Anyway, the whole thing is sleazy an underhanded... Which is maybe why there are almot 4000 consumer complaints on the consumeraffairs website

When you upgraded to the Hopper you renewed a two year commitment. They really isn't a way around upgrading without renewing a contract. If you sign the paper then you agreed to it. If you didn't read the contract then you don't have much of an argument.

You do have every right to be upset at the people that may have misled you though.

Dish Network.. . In my opinion they are the biggest bunch of thieves I have dealt with in a while. I canceled their services and they tacked on a hefty cancellation fee. They had without my knowledge or permission signed me up for an additional 2 years... I have been very careful not to extend my commitment since I was thinking about cancelling. Now there is no chance I would deal with them ever again.

Tried one more time to resolve... Got back the following response "The contract is to be disclosed to you at the time the installation is setup and also a contract is signed when the technician installs the service" This never happened and the installer said the papers were just to verify the installation... Again, thieves!

Ask them to produce a copy of the signed contract. Then threaten and go to the attorney general.

Reactions: Troch77
One of the reasons I prefer to use an online chat or IM with Dirt is to have a record of what was agreed to. When verbally talking to a csr. there is no record you can use to verify your claim. Also, there are many csr's who tell you what you want to hear and have no authority to not renew your contract and you are the one who gets stuck with situations like the one you are in now.

One of the reasons I prefer to use an online chat or IM with Dirt is to have a record of what was agreed to. When verbally talking to a csr. there is no record you can use to verify your claim. Also, there are many csr's who tell you what you want to hear and have no authority to not renew your contract and you are the one who gets stuck with situations like the one you are in now.

They do have recordings of the call

Claude, sometimes.... The calls are stored for short periods of time, and as the recording states, they are for quality assurance and training purposes. This is for internal CS only, not for External, or sales. I know you had made mention of all your employees calls being recorded, but that would be a different ball game altogether.
I agree, call in and ask for the loyalty team. The loyalty team will have the ability to send you a copy of your signed commitment. If there is a signed copy, then this is your mistake. If there is not a signed copy on record, then they will almost always absolve the commitment on the spot with no further fees. Unless you have indisputable proof that they told you that over the phone, then all that can be gone by is the fact that you signed a document acknowledging your understanding. Ignorance would not be an excuse that would cover your backside on this one, IF there is a signed doc on record.

If the tech had him sign paper work he should have his own copy of it. It's his own responsibility to read what he signed wether he was misled or not. I know it wasn't right how the tech worded it to him but you are alway responsible for what you sign.

I'm not saying what the op said is not true but what a customer hears and what a tech says is not always the same. Sometimes people tend to hear what they want to hear.

If the tech had him sign paper work he should have his own copy of it. It's his own responsibility to read what he signed wether he was misled or not. I know it wasn't right how the tech worded it to him but you are alway responsible for what you sign.

I'm not saying what the op said is not true but what a customer hears and what a tech says is not always the same. Sometimes people tend to hear what they want to hear.
I agree 110%. The way I consider it, is if I am endorsing anything, I will know exactly what it is that I am endorsing by reading it through. South Park made a fantastic episode about that, with Apple and people just blindly accepting the TOS for each upgrade.

Here is a clip of it.

Reactions: Rey
I am an Apple guy, and I loved it...hahahaa

It does serve the point very well for most folks who say they did not know what they were signing. They just listened to the tech when he said it was for the completion of his work.

Yep, crooks all the way. Charlie would mug his own employees for money since he is so greedy!.

If you got a new Hopper and Dish installed it, there is ALWAYS a two year commitment. Obviously, you did not understand what you were signing. That's why they say Let the Buyer Beware. Read what you sign. Dish does not install Hoppers without a new two year commitment.
All large companies are crooks, everyone Should know that. They are in business to make money. You do not get a new phone for FREE without a commitment, why do you think you should get a new Hopper for free without a commitment.

Reactions: lazydogmot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)