Have you ever been so disgusted with pay tv?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Disgusted with price of pay tv?

• Absolutely

Votes: 77 82.8%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 16 17.2%

• Total voters

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
This applies to all providers,only posting here as a current Dish customer.Personally I am fed up with the price of pay tv,so I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Reactions: richyrich
Disgusted every month when my bill shows up! lol.

I think I only have another year left on Dish, and then I'm going Tivo OTA. Best Buy sells it outright for $50, + $14.95 month sub. I'd do it already, but I have a wife that's EXTREMELY technologically challenged. If it isn't real easy, she simply can't do it. The Tivo is the next step for us after spending this year researching various OTA dvr's.

Reactions: ncted

I think I only have another year left on Dish, and then I'm going Tivo OTA. Best Buy sells it outright for $50, + $14.95 month sub. I'd do it already, but I have a wife that's EXTREMELY technologically challenged. If it isn't real easy, she simply can't do it. The Tivo is the next step for us after spending this year researching various OTA dvr's.

My wife is also techno challenged. But even she can operate the Hopper and super joey . It took a while to get used to the interface but now two years later , she has gotten pretty good at it .

Reactions: Tampa8

Buy used. We are almost set. TivoHD w/ lifetime can be had for ~$150. Newer models are more, just depends on what you need for your setup.

TiVo is super easy.

I blame the content owners as in the media companies that are the channels who charge the MVPD's along with Hollywood's never ending greed. These folks think they can just raise the prices to MVPD's forever and nothing is gonna give. It will come to a point when at least ONE MVPD will be the first to no longer carry some channels because it is just too expensive and feel they can't pass that price on to the subscriber. The question is which MVPD. Could be Dish, or we might see another MVPD do it first. It will be sooner than later.

Sure, I'd like to pay less, but you have to Pay to Play. Having just 2 choices in the pole makes it a poor pole.
As a previous poster about his technophobe wife being able to use the Hopper, I second that.

Lol who voted absolutely not?They must have plenty of money to burn.

I voted that way. I know how much it cost and I choose to pay it. If I wasn't willing to pay for it or couldn't afford it then I wouldn't. It's no different than me thinking that a new four door, four wheel drive truck is absolutely expensive but I don't care because I would never buy one unless I could afford it. I think a $500,000 home is absolutley ridiculous in my area but it doesn't upset me because I bought a house I could afford. It's just TV, if it's too expensive then don't pay for it.

My family watches a lot of TV. It's been part of my business and is part of who I am right now. TV just happens to be one of those hobbies that I choose to spend more money on than other things. It's no different that a person that spends his money on fast cars, boats, collectibles, hunting or any other kind of hobby. We all choose to spend more money on certain things and if TV isn't one of those things that is worth it to you then just get rid of it. I'm sure there will be a point in my life when it's not as important and I'll drop to a lower package and get rid of some equipment but for now I love my current set up and I'm willing to pay more than most people to keep it that way.

One more thing, if you don't where your bill is then do something about it. Use some Dish referrals and go out of your way to get some discounts. I'm currently getting $25 off my bill from a combination of referrals and other discounts. Sometimes it pays to be a good customer.

Fed up? No. But I think when it crosses the $100 mark per month for me, that may be where I start making some tough choices. With the next increase, I'll be at $92 per month for Top 200, DVR service and Protection Plan. So maybe in 2 years time. By then, hopefully there will be more options with streaming content and cherry picking channels.

I was just trying to figure out how to lower my DISH bill which is $160 a month currently..

I have AT250 - BB@HOME - Superstations - 2 Hoppers - 4 Joeys - 1 Wireless Joey

So if I dropped down to AT200 I would save $10 a month
Dropped BB@HOME thats another $10 a month
Got rid of 3 Joeys that is $21 a month
and the Superstations thats another $7 a month.

All in all saving per month... $38 a month, which brings it down to $122 a month. Still seems high though.

I have Comcrap and pay WAY TOO MUCH for the bad service since I moved recently. HD is always going out, channels freeze and drop out sometimes over 10 minutes at a time, both HD and SD are affected. I'm looking at going OTA but keeping Comcast internet because it rarely goes out. Plus, I could reactivate my cell phone and get ALL my texts rather than just get some occasionally from Comcast home phone. The "official" response from them is "it's a free app (Xfinity Connect app) and we don't guarantee it will work". Well then why even make it available if it doesn't work 2/3 of the time for texts? So now use my el cheapo cell for my texts. But it's a minutes phone and can get Verizon phone first of the year. Plus if I pay for video service from Comcrap then it ought to work. I understand occasional outages but everyday? C'mon!!!! And yes I've called too many times to count.

I was just trying to figure out how to lower my DISH bill which is $160 a month currently..

All in all saving per month... $38 a month, which brings it down to $122 a month. Still seems high though.

That is expensive.

I mentioned this another thread how I keep my fees down. I use a 722 in the single mode feeding 3 hdtv's, 2 with hdmi & 1 with cat5 to hdmi all powered with a hdmi splitter from the 722. For my house, it's the ultimate whole home system without the fees & have dedicated dish remotes at each tv.

It has never been easier to mirror hdtv's with cat5 to hdmi extenders. The 1 I use recommends cat6 but am successfully using cat5 stp wire, it's only a 56' run.

I know 1 receiver won't work in every situation but would be willing to bet many households could really benefit by doing this without eliminating tvs.

One more thing, if you don't where your bill is then do something about it. Use some Dish referrals and go out of your way to get some discounts. I'm currently getting $25 off my bill from a combination of referrals and other discounts. Sometimes it pays to be a good customer.
lol I know exactly where my bill is.So no need to do something about that.:D

In all seriousness schermann,I have done that,all my refer a friend credits are starting to expire now,and here these days,Dish is a tough sell.Been with Dish for over 12 years referred many customers,installed quite a few dishes as well,so I would call that a good customer.

Put it this way,I haven't threatened the cancel word yet,but I am getting very close.

I pay probably between $180-$200 per month. To me when you spread it out, let's say that's $50 per week, if you go out a lot for entertainment (which I don't) you'll spend that or more in a week. Suppose it depends on what you want to spend your money on. I could certain,y get by on a lot less channels (I have AEP w/ BB@Home), and I don't have to have four Hoppers and two Joeys (an outlet at every TV set), however, to me it is worth it to have the entertainment there. The way I figure it when you are working your ass off, you might as well enjoy what you like with what you earn.
Funny thing is, I can remember close to 20 years ago in about 1995, you could subscribe to all the superstations, basics, and HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and TMC on C-Band for a little over $500 per YEAR.
Of course you had only the one receiver and there was no such thing as a DVR.

Reactions: fhsucade07

Your numbers add up to $48 not $38. So it's $112 not $122.
Also, getting rid of one of the Hoppers instead of one of the Joeys would save another $5, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts