OTHER HCL's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Are there any? I realize it would be difficult to test all STB's, PCI(e) cards, and dongles but it would be nice to know if a receiver will work with the ASC1 (or any other dish positioners using Disceqc commands) without any complications.

Many of us review and post our receiver tests on this site. What receiver are you considering? Likely one of us has used or tested and can reply to the receiver's compatibilities and known issues.

The ASC1 DiSEqC 1.2 command protocol is properly implemented and the hardware tested and confirmed to be compliant to the DiSEQC specification. As long as the receiver is coded, software configured and hardware produced to meet the DiSEqC 1.2 protocol, there won't be any issue or surprises.

PCI and USB tuners hardware may be compliant, but are also reliant on the computer power supply, software choice and user settings. I successfully use the TBS6983 and 5922SE along with EBSpro software.

Current market receivers that I can confirm are 22KHz/DiSEqC compliant and motor friendly are: Linkbox 9000i, Amiko mini RE, Edision mini OS Dual, Dreambox 900HD, GEOSATpro HDVR3500 and FreeSat V7/V8.

One more spec to consider is the current rating. Many new receivers output too low of current to handle motors and multiple LNBFs. Be sure you know the average and peak current draws for your system. You may need to use power insertion to provide ample power to the connected devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST
I have used many STB's and USB tuner cards with the ASC1 and other controllers with positive results.
The only time I had an issue was with this is if I found a corroded connector or improperly fitted connector.
Water in the coax, bent coax, etc.
Brian hits a very good point! I tested a couple of these cheapy little boxes and had issues. Come to find out the little box and/or its power supply was not up to snuff and the loading on it was causing all kinds of issues.
Power inserter fixed that right up.

Right now all I have is a TBS6922SE, Azbox Elite and Ultra. I'll probably go for another STB since these PCIe cards don't have much software options under Linux. The next STB has to be able to receive all current formats along with blind scan and ethernet so that it can be time synced (at least). I don't have an UltraHD TV but it's on my wishlist. Heh, some bozo is trying to sell the TBS6983 for $1000 on ebay. Or I can just get rid of all this stuff and just stream stuff with my SmartTV or Roku 3 and watch whatever on OTA. I got a couple of BluRay players sitting around doing nothing also.

Kinda hard to buy stuff when there's no site with a user rating (stars). I don't want to have to wade through several threads to see everyone's opinion.

Reviewing forum posts is about the only way for you to find out what works for other users in a niche hobby in an operational situation similar to yours. Models quickly become outdated and retired, especially if one requires support for the latest and niche formats. What was hot two years ago, probably isn't sold anymore!

Everyone has their own benchmarks to measure the operability of a receiver. Some want features to make it easy to steal, while others want advance FTA functions. Some want to record a single program, while others wish to build a library. Some want to quickly blindscan, while others have no use for any type of scanning. Some want to control motorized dishes, others have no clue the difference between USALS or DiSEqC 1.2 and would never install a motor or controller. Some have multiple fixed dishes with stacked switches, others are aimed at a single satellite. Some use as a server, others don't want a LAN connection. Some want PC software, while others use Linux or Mac.

You already are at one of the sites where a variety of users are available and willing to share their experiences and advice. If you find a receiver that looks interesting and promising, ask... In most cases someone will know or can find out.

I just sold my Azbox Ultra and I'm looking at the Linkbox 9000i and GEOSATpro HDVR3500 as possible replacements. I hope that I won't be disappointed with the one I decide to buy.

When I figure out how to setup virtualbox for pci(e) passthru, I'll consider buying another pci(e) FTA card - one that'll do 4K. Setting up the pci(e) passthru may end up being a lot easier than writing a program for Linux - not enough time to do everything I would like to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)