HD Locals - Dish Network 2009

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I asked Charlie Egren what the plan was for HD Local expansion in 2009; and got a fairly non-committal response. They are hoping to have another 10 or 15 markets in February, but other than that he did not give any specifics. Instead he talked about local OTA being very good - and free - in many markets.

This was a big change from last year, where they announced more than 80 markets (I believe) being announced in 2008. Kind of disappointing.

I chose not to ask about HD Nationals, because I knew there would be NO answer.

after that you should have said is there going to be a way to get the guide info without subscribing to locals since they don't seem that important to you right now.

This is something that does need to be asked directly to Charlie. It does not affect me but, it is a valid question that affects many people.

Odd there wouldn't be big plans considering half of the TPs frequencies from Ciel-2 are set aside for 145 spot TPs aimed at 53 spots.

There is a difference between "plans" and "results".

Every time Dish tells you their plans, you guys go nuts criticizing them for failing to achieve those plans.

So, you make it a lose-lose proposition for them to tell you their plans.

Once the 145 spot TPs are in place in a few weeks, then the channels have to agree to contracts...

<snip>....I chose not to ask about HD Nationals, because I knew there would be NO answer.
Then what the hell are we paying you for?!.....JK:)

Seriously, don't let this guy intimidate you. He's no different than any other businessman that provides a service. You're not only a customer of that service, you're kind of representing thousands of us that are also customers of his service. Even a non or negative answer could have the benefit of giving him something to think about and who knows, he might have slipped with some tidbits of information.

Disappointing indeed. I wonder what's their plan with PBS HD.

Simple answer: There is no plan for PBS.

Most PBS channels want Cable-Satellite systems to carry the sub-channels, and they have a LOT of sub-channels (WTTW in Chicago has FIVE). Charlie does not want to.

Hence, no plan.

Last I heard, Dish and the PBS consortium were not even talking. And the consortium's plan was to use the FCC to force sub-channel carriage. Don't think that has gotten anywhere, but with a new administration ....

Simple answer: There is no plan for PBS.

Most PBS channels want Cable-Satellite systems to carry the sub-channels, and they have a LOT of sub-channels (WTTW in Chicago has FIVE). Charlie does not want to.

Hence, no plan.

Last I heard, Dish and the PBS consortium were not even talking. And the consortium's plan was to use the FCC to force sub-channel carriage. Don't think that has gotten anywhere, but with a new administration ....

Seems DirecTV is launching some PBS stations without sub channels. Locally, they have WVIZ, which has 3 sub channels.

I chose not to ask about HD Nationals, because I knew there would be NO answer.

What!!???
That's the question that needs to be answered.
Do not assume anything.

You're credentialed right? Some basic journalism is expected.

Why else are you there but to ask all the important questions no matter what you think the answers will be?

:confused:

Why didn't you choose to ask?? A lot of subs are waiting for his answer, whatever it is....

What!!???
That's the question that needs to be answered.
Do not assume anything.

You're credentialed right? Some basic journalism is expected.

Why else are you there but to ask all the important questions no matter what you think the answers will be?

By my unscientific count there were 18 separate posts by SatGuys members looking for an answer about national HD in a thread created for CES questions. Seems to me that it was a popular question to ask. :what

http://www.satelliteguys.us/2009-consumer-electronics-show/160057-questions-dish-network.html

Then what the hell are we paying you for?!.....JK:)

Seriously, don't let this guy intimidate you. He's no different than any other businessman that provides a service. You're not only a customer of that service, you're kind of representing thousands of us that are also customers of his service. Even a non or negative answer could have the benefit of giving him something to think about and who knows, he might have slipped with some tidbits of information.

Charlie didn't intimidate me; I KNEW what the answer would be - "well we are in negotiations with so-and-so, and can't say anything."

It is the same answer he gave when I asked him THAT question last year. I was very interested in the HD Local question, so I asked it. I didn't see the point in asking the other question. I have heard the answer before on CHarlie Chats, on Tech Chats, at last year's press conference. IF they had new HD to announce, they most certainly would have announced it. They didn't.

:)

There is no doubt that some sort of additional HD national channels will be added or announced - on or before the official announcement of the price increase ;) - and after Ciel-2 arrives at 129 and goes online with the channels currently on EchoStar 5 (which should be in roughly a week or two).

So, "National HD" is actually the question least likely to be answered (beause that would steal the thunder of the announcement in a few weeks), and it is the question most likely to be answered in the next few weeks, due to the price increase. ;)

Disappointing indeed. I wonder what's their plan with PBS HD.

Over the next four years, the FCC requires Dish to add PBS-HD (and all other local HD channels) in every market in which they have any HD locals. There is a phase-in over the next 4 years, but it is unclear whether Dish will add all the HD locals to big markets soon, using Ciel-2 (and the next Eastern Arc satellite later this year) or whether they will use tiny markets that only have 4 HD locals to satisfy the requirement come 2010.

It all has to do with negotiations with the channels.

PS Dish has asked for a National PBS-HD and PBS has refused.

Please don't forget those of us with no locals even SD.

In this market there is no local to subscribe to- and hence no guide for the locals.
They least they could do is broadcast that info somehow- or add the market

In Bend Oregon

Over the next four years, the FCC requires Dish to add PBS-HD (and all other local HD channels) in every market in which they have any HD locals.

As much as I look forward to that, I'd be more interested in them being required to service the entire DMA. Is there anything about that in the law?

PS Dish has asked for a National PBS-HD and PBS has refused.

Which is quite stupid, since they transmit the national HD feed in the clear. Apparently, PBS isn't as flamingly liberal as certain people accuse them of being, or they'd not be in favor of laws that contradict reality. Just because people wouldn't be exposed to the program-disrupting begging (which causes me to NOT watch, since most of the programming at that time is re-run later if it isn't already a re-run) doesn't mean they couldn't choose to contribute money.

Just because people wouldn't be exposed to the program-disrupting begging (which causes me to NOT watch, since most of the programming at that time is re-run later if it isn't already a re-run) doesn't mean they couldn't choose to contribute money.

Back when they used to give us the national feed, we still got the fundraising. It was just national fundraising instead of the local channel. I believe that when you called in they asked where you were calling from and earmarked the money back to the local station. Which was weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)