HD Receiver for SDTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

biz56

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
North Carolina
I have one HDTV that I planning for an HDDRV and one SDTV. Are there any advantages to using an HD receiver on the SDTV other than being able to use MRV with the HDDVR? How about PQ? Are HD feeds downconverted by the HD receiver to 480i usually superior to SD feeds of the same programming?

Thanks

I am doing this and here are the advantages for me: MRV, access to channels that only have HD feeds, and no cost to upgrade when I replace the SDTV with an HD set in the future. IMO the HD feeds downconverted look great, but I can't tell a whole lot of difference because the TV I'm using is a 19" cheap thanksgiving special from walmart.

Biz - you didn't tell us what market you're in, but in ALL of the 72.5 local markets, any non-DVR receivers D* installs will ALWAYS be HD receivers, since those locals are also now in MPEG4, & those are the ONLY receivers that will work on those locals.
If you have HD access on your account, then you'll automatically get the same HD service as your HD DVR gets - SD only subs have their HD channels disabled on the non-DVR HD boxes.

I'll answer my own question. According to LyngSat, Charlotte locals are on 99.2 and 101.0. So, guess I'll need the HD receiver, but thanks for the tip.

No, I don't think you understood what I was saying...
Some markets (like mine) originally had our SD local channels on a separate bird@72.5, that required a 2nd separate dish. D* is now dual feeding all these markets in MPEG4, as well as is in the process of switch out every sub in these markets to all MPEG4 receivers.

Unfortunately, Charlotte, NC is NOT one of those markets, so D* will not, as standard procedure, be giving you ALL MPEG4 receivers for free. But as others have already told you, you should try to get D* to upgrade it NOW for a small upfront charge, rather than trying to do it later at FULL price. ;) ;)

I just switched over from DISH and I ordered a HD receiver for my bedroom thinking I'd get a HDTV eventually up there. I'm using an S-Video cable and I must say that the downconverted HD channels as well as the SD stuff looks great. I'm putting that HDTV purchase on hold for now.

I just switched over from DISH and I ordered a HD receiver for my bedroom thinking I'd get a HDTV eventually up there. I'm using an S-Video cable and I must say that the downconverted HD channels as well as the SD stuff looks great. I'm putting that HDTV purchase on hold for now.

Glad you made the switch from Dish? What Dish receiver did you have, and how does the picture quality compare on HD AND SD? I have never had either one and am trying to pick between D & E. Thanks.

When I got a H23 recently, I moved the H21 to our bedroom and hooked it to our old 36" Panasonic CRT thats still working.
I used a S-video cable, set the IRD not to show the SD duplicate channels.
The HD channels look great on the 36", much better than the SD versions when a D11 was hooked to the same TV.....

No, I don't think you understood what I was saying...
Some markets (like mine) originally had our SD local channels on a separate bird@72.5, that required a 2nd separate dish. D* is now dual feeding all these markets in MPEG4, as well as is in the process of switch out every sub in these markets to all MPEG4 receivers.

Unfortunately, Charlotte, NC is NOT one of those markets, so D* will not, as standard procedure, be giving you ALL MPEG4 receivers for free. But as others have already told you, you should try to get D* to upgrade it NOW for a small upfront charge, rather than trying to do it later at FULL price. ;) ;)

ok now let me see if I understand you. If we have a separate dish for our locals than we can get a free upgrade on our 2 d10 boxes? I'm in Florence S.C. btw

HD box for SD box

I just had an install yesterday. I ordered an HD DVR and 2 SD installs. What I got was and HR23-700 DVR and 2 HR23 HD receivers. The installer told me I needed these to get my local channels in my area (NW PA). I moved to D* from E* and I not had it long enough to give a good review. I will say compaired to my E* ViP622 the HR23 DVR has a few more features that the ViP622 did not. One example is more control over start and stop times for timers. I also like the free VOD movies and shows and the ability to program DVR online and from what I understand I can hook up an external HD for free (E* charges a one time $40.00 access fee to activate the port)

You'll also get the HD channels that have no SD equivalent on your SD TV with an attached HD receiver, if you subscribe to them.

I've been doing this for about 4 years now (HD receiver--->5 year old Tivo). In my opinion, the recording in this manner is better than a SD channel recording. However, I have no proof of this and it just may be my imagination. And of course, IF I want to view an HD channel with my Tivo tuner, I can watch the channel live as well.

It ain't HD, but I swear its better that SD.

The HD channels definitely look better on an SDTV than the SD channels do. I think that's because a compressed HD picture is still a lot better quality than a compressed SD picture. My guess is that it looks similar to what D* channels looked like in the very beginning.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)