HDMI inputs will I end up with component?

ColdBrew

Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I have two receivers being installed tomorrow. One is an older Sony Wega 40'' direct view. I know it will end up with component because I don't have DVI on it. But my other screen is a new Pioneer 4350 plasma. It has two HDMI and three component (I think). It doesn't have DVI. Does that mean I will end up using component on the plasma or does the receiver have DVI->HDMI cable? Or is there a newer receiver that has HDMI. I know my moms receiver doesn't have HDMI.

Thanks in advance.

ColdBrew, I'm almost in the same boat. My HDTV only has HDMI, and the Voom box has DVI. I bought a 10' DVI to HDMI cable from svideo.com for only $25. By far the best price I was able to find. For the same thing at Best Buy, they wanted $150!

I got an adapter at the HDMI end that conferts it to DVI. Was having real problems with color so I switched to component and the HD pq is just as good.

Okay so basically what I thought. I will have to buy my own cable. I guess I'll use component and if it looks like Voom is staying I'll upgrade it to DVI-HDMI.

Thanks for the info!

I am in the same boat. I ordered several hdmi cables to distribute though out the house from the a/v closet but my plasmas have hdmi input or component only. My question is how do you input the audio when hdmi is selected since the dvi does not output sound?
Mike

Look for a separate audio in rca pair that may seem like they're just isolated audio in with no obvious video in signal.

Or, some tv's that use DVI/HDMI have a particular channel in (video 1, video 2, etc) where if you use the DVI/HDMI, it would be in place of the more obvious components in. In this second case, you'd need to look at your manual. You'd see a set of 5 inputs (rgb, plus audio right/left). You'd only use the audio, because using DVI or HDMI would override the RGB inputs...

In any event, your manual will have the secret to where to plug in your audio in. The Voom box has a distinct audio out that is made for this...

I ordered mine from svideo.com. 3' for $16.25 delivered. I'll let you know how it works out.

cohiba said:
ColdBrew, I'm almost in the same boat. My HDTV only has HDMI, and the Voom box has DVI. I bought a 10' DVI to HDMI cable from svideo.com for only $25. By far the best price I was able to find. For the same thing at Best Buy, they wanted $150!

I got a DVI to HDMI cable from Monoprice.com for $9.95. Works fine so far.

Wow that is a good price from monoprice.com. I got my cable today from svideo.com and it worked great. I think it improved the video from Voom and worth the $16.25.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)