HELP!!! FIRST GEN IPAD USER NEEDS OLD VERSION (4.0.3) Dish Anywhere App!!!

Anyone needing help with this, feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

If I understand it, by "jailbreaking" the old iPad, if you can get someone to email you their old version app you can install it on your system (the copy protection that prohibits sharing is disabled by jailbreaking). I'd search out a forum that deals with jailbreaking and see if an old ipa file can be sent to you by a benefactor.

No this is dish's problem. They updated their app and determined min specs, but beyond that they have blocked the previous version from working with their service. I still have the previous version of DishAnywhere. When I attempt to login in I am presented with a message that Dish Remote Access is no longer support download DishAnywhere. That is what I have not dish remote. Plain and simple Dish is just not supporting older versions of the app. So while you could still be running the previous version it's still not going to work, Apple has nothing to do with that.

If they are going to end support for an older version of an app that's all well and good but the users should at minimum have advance warning of this. Not just have it work one day and not the next, that is what I find more distasteful than anything else. Could they support both versions, sure they could, but they have chosen not to and also chosen to not warn thei customers in advance.

May have been month or more as onl use it when on the road for work. Never saw any advance warning prior to the one that I indicated above. I Would think that this is the sort of thing you would want to warn of for at min 3 months and more likely 6 but that is just me. Doesn't change the fact that this is their doing and theirs alone. Sling app will still run on gen1 iPad and even their new transfer app will. Would it really be so much to ask that they would continue to exist 1st gen with this app when they are with a brand new app?

Even if you were to get a hold of the old app, it won't work because it used different servers than dishanywhere. I'm sure the reason why they got rid of the old app is because they didn't want to maintain both and run 2 sets of servers to support the applications.

If they are going to end support for an older version of an app that's all well and good but the users should at minimum have advance warning of this. Not just have it work one day and not the next, that is what I find more distasteful than anything else. Could they support both versions, sure they could, but they have chosen not to and also chosen to not warn thei customers in advance.

There was messaging up on the app for a month prior to them shutting it down telling you that you would need to upgrade your OS and for iPad 1 users obviously that isn't possible but there was a message that appeared. Thats why I was wondering when the last time you used the app was.

As an alternative, I wonder (for Ipad 1 users) if we can get to a point where there is a decent browser that will run the plugins (or at least mimic them) such that dishanywhere.com can be used. Puffin is getting there - I was able to run a few on-demand movies but (of course) not watch live TV given the lack of sling adapter plug-in.

Meanwhile, we have a few apps for movies - Epix HD, Go HBO, Max Go, etc. plus some live sports apps - PAC12 and maybe ESPN at the end of the month. Plus you can still convert and send DVR content to iPad via the new Hopper.

I understand the frustration in this thread - Dish pimps the sling technology for iPad but that is clearly not all-inclusive. Add to that the lack of announcement/communication. Honestly, though, I'm not sure what we expect to happen - I doubt anything would make Dish concede to reactivating the old version for iOS 5, even though iPad 1 could certainly handle it. Hope I'm wrong there, but I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Yeah hope they get a app out for Windows 8 so we can use it on Windows 8 tablets.

There's a story on Engadget that mentions that old versions of apps (the last compatible version for your device) can now be installed on older devices,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)