Here we go - trying to hook up entire house!!!

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 18, 2006
I've got coax wires coming outta my ears and am getting ready to do some really crazy stuff....

got:
invacom lnb->diseqc switch->sg2100->receiver in living room-->vcr(living room)
-->tv in living room (first floor)
-->tv downstairs (basement)
ota antenna goes to receiver in living room too...

-->want to add: vcr upstairs(upstairs=computer room) coming off of the vcr in living room

--vcr upstairs is hooked up like so at the moment:
ota antenna (antenna has a y connection leading to vcr upstairs and receiver downstairs in living room)->

vcr(upstairs)-->
--component in/out -->loops to computer via ati-all-in-wonder so that I can see computer screen on tv upstairs and can see ota signal in vcr through ati's media center thingys... the coax in/out on the vcr upstairs is hooked up so that it's receiving ota antenna signal in and it's out goes to tv upstairs...

What I want to do is get signal coming out of fta reciver to go upstairs to vcr upstair's in... that should be easy part... that will get my computer to act more or less like a dvr. Fine. Confusing part comes in that I also want to get the computer's signal that's currently able to go to vcr upstairs to also get to vcr downstairs in living room... so that I can see computer screen on tv in living room... so that I can more or less use the computer as a tivo type dvr thingy, record various satellite movies and stuff during day while I'm at work, and then go up to computer, look for what I want to watch, hit play on computer, and see the signal on the tv in the living room.... I think at the moment, the ati's signal that's going to vcr upstairs that shows the computer shows up on channel 2 - which is good since it doesn't interfere with channel 3, where the satellite signal would be... anybody have any advice on how to accomplish all of this? I called local radio shack and they said that they have a special coax connector thingy that will take two ins and put out one out. Will this solve the problem of how to get the signal from the computer upstairs to the vcr downstairs, by adding that connector to the antenna in on reciever, so antenna in on receiver is really getting antenna in from ota antenna + ati all-in-wonder's signal from up in computer room? Or will that not work since the special connector would force all the signals in to channel 3 instead of 2 and 3 like it is upstairs? It's all a bit confusing...

I could do without the computer->living room but think it'd make things a lot better and economical... otherwise I'd have to record junk on to dvd and play it downstairs in living room, manually moving stuff via dvd... which can be doable, but gets costly after a while... would be easier if I could just get signal from ati all in wonder directly to the vcr downstairs somehow, but without ruining the fact that downstairs is now recieving both satellite reciever signals and ota signals....

I would just add the vcr from upstairs to the vcr downstair's antenna in or to the fta receiver's antenna in... but then that'd cause me to lose the real signal coming from the ota antenna that is on that port right now....

basic question is - how the heck do you get two coax tv signals in to an in port on either a vcr or a fta receiver when you only have one in port there?

If that special 2 to 1 connector from Radio Shack won't work to do what I'm wanting it to do, would it work if I hooked up the vcr in the attic's out to the diseqc's extra port on the roof or would that not work at all since it's not a true stb signal, just a normal vcr signal?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)