HGTV frame rate

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

snowboardernh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
NH
Anyone else notice that there is something going on with HGTV frame rate ... when there is a pan or active scene, the video skips....? Not a big deal, but it makes watching annoying. How many other channels have this going on?

This sounds like what was happening with my sister's ViP612 on WE (128) and Science (193). It must only happen on certain models of receivers, because the ViP722k Dish gave her as a replacement does not have the issue on those channels or any other channel as far as I know.

only on HGTV.....? not sure if the cause is HGTV or Dish. Seems more prevalent during the shows and not commercials... Go Figure. Should be the opposite.

I've noticed this on a number of channels lately on both our HWS's and Joeys. I think Dish engineers must be experimenting. Perhaps they are messing with the encoders for some reason. However, it is still VERY noticable and ANNOYING when we are trying to watch a good show. It really shakes out of our immersion into the program we are watching. I hope it goes away.

BTW, I've also notices picture smearing and pixel breakup on both our HWS systems. That is ALSO very annoying. Me thinks Dish is messing with settings to, perhaps, squeeze as much as they can before the PQ becomes unacceptable. Unfortunately, unacceptable is a relative term: one standard Dish adopts, and one standard by those of us paying customers who have to watch it.

Reactions: Jim S. and pattykay
Me thinks Dish is messing with settings to, perhaps, squeeze as much as they can before the PQ becomes unacceptable. Unfortunately, unacceptable is a relative term: one standard Dish adopts, and one standard by those of us paying customers who have to watch it

The sad thing is that the majority of the paying customers will neither notice, nor care. :(

Reactions: charlesrshell
My sister noticed and cared, which is why she kept bugging me to get Dish to send her a replacement receiver. (I do all of the negotiating with Dish on her behalf.)

I've seen this as well on numerous channels over the past 10 days or so on my H3. Annoying to the point that I've opted to do something other than watch Dish on a couple of occasions. Last night, however, I watched two shows (Colony on A&E and Homeland on Showtime) and both looked fine.

Hoping it's fixed, as this is a deal breaker for me if it continues.

Reactions: pattykay
The sad thing is that the majority of the paying customers will neither notice, nor care. :(
A fair point, BUT even WORSE for Dish is that I do ask several Dish subs I know how they are "doing" with Dish, and while it is often "Satisfactory to Good," people DO mention the things we on this forum notice such as PQ break up, some HD softness, BUT they just attribute it to the "compromise" of satellite service. I've had a few subscribers even put up with frequent signal loss to learn they never attempted to call Dish to fix because they thought that's how satellite works. GOOD GRIEF! Of course, after having them call Dish and "complain," Dish did sent out a tech at no charge and they re-peaked the signal and all was well to the point that the subs were now impressed with how the signal was no longer being lost. It tunred out this loss of singnal started happeing immediatly AFTER they got the house painted.

True, Dish does monitor the equipment these days to prevent such experience, but I find a lot of people write off these inferior experiences we notice as UNACCEPTABLE to being quirks of satellite service and never let Dish know of their less than great satellite (Dish) experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)