High Def Disc unit sales - The Digital Bits

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
From Home Media Magazine:

Software units sales ratios as of 03/23/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 88.......HD-DVD 12
Since inception:......Blu-ray 67.......HD-DVD 33

Top 20 Blu-ray vs Top 20 DVD unit sales: 6% to 94%

Hopefully, HMM will continue to publish sales figures comparing BD to DVD. No doubt outside of the top 20, the BD percentage is much lower.

A note on Ignore Lists:
The Ignore List system is not perfect, but it's better than nothing. "Ignored" people are still seen when quoted by others. So perhaps it is a good idea not to quote some of the more unpleasant postings.
I have decided to place anyone repeatedly making personal attacks and being verbally abusive on my Ignore List.

Software units sales ratios as of 03/30/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 84.......HD-DVD 16

Top 20 Blu-ray vs Top 20 DVD unit sales: 8% to 92%

All the titles in the top ten are Blu-ray. But it looks like after I Am Legend, sales drop off. Seems odd, as elsewhere (Swann) there are reports of strong Blu-ray sales.

The article goes on to say there are 10.3 million households with an HD player, and 44.4 million households with HDTVs. Elsewhere in the issue it is noted that the HD DVD Promotional Group has officially dissolved, and that the web site will be shut down.

And now, the title we all haven't been waiting for, out in Blu-ray on 4/8, it's "Girls Gone Wild: Sex Race." Isn't that guy in prison? But, a milestone of sorts, I presume, when a "C" or "D" list title like that comes out as a BD.

Sorry to be late posting, I've been out of town.

I wonder how many of the 10.3 ever played a BD movie. I'm guessing barely 25% of them have.

I am guessing the opposite. 80% or more. Not saying they are all buying them, but remember all those free Discs including some that were included with the PS3. Non-PS3 owner's are of course playing BD.

Software units sales ratios as of 04/06/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 64.......HD-DVD 36

Top 20 Blu-ray vs Top 20 DVD unit sales: 4% to 96%

All the titles in the top ten are Blu-ray.

Pretty big swing back toward HD DVD.

More likely based on 4% that sales volume was extremely low not that HD DVD swung back.

S~

Yes, I suppose so. Gotta wonder when HD DVD releases peter out, and when Blu-ray starts heavy promotion. No need to, if they are selling all they can make. Surely (Shirley? ;)) things will be going strong by Turkey Day.

Sounds like the April 1 issue rather than the April 6 issue. Makes very little sense that the top 10 are Blu-Ray and yet HD-DVD had a very good week.:confused:

Sounds like the April 1 issue rather than the April 6 issue. Makes very little sense that the top 10 are Blu-Ray and yet HD-DVD had a very good week.:confused:

Because the volume of sales were crap. Only speculation, but the dwindling HDDVD sales likely continued to dwindle, or maintain their poor sales (as intended) but people just didn't have a reason to buy BD products so the % swing is as shown. BD sales decreased over last week, so share of HDDVD sales for the week increased.

And i think Sony said they're making discs as fast as they can? Due to demand prices will not be coming down? Hah!

Or stores are closing out HD-DVDs and player owners are stocking up.

There really hasn't been any extraordinary sales out there, if anything there are fewer, with most Best Buys having shipped all of theirs back.

Much more likely just a bad week for BD, and the poor volume of sales overall gives us the ratio.

And DVD is supposed to shaking in its shoes?

I think it is just a brief spike as HD DVD owners snap up heavily discounted copies of movies..... I've bought a dozen movies in the last month alone..... Planet Earth for $30, Matrix Trilogy for $40, and a bunch of titles for less than $10.

And seeing how all the retail store discounts on BluRay have dried up, it makes sense to do so right now for all us combo player owners....

It maybe a brief spike but combined HDM is still less then 2% of DVD. But I’m not sure its a spike considering most firesales have been on going for a while and some have expired. No competition equals few to no sales which equals tough sledding for HDM. If HD DVD is 36% of HDM sales and all of the top 10 are BD, then BD sales must really suck. Whats the excuse now? BB has only BD now, and CC only has a few HD DVD’s in the clearance bin

It maybe a brief spike but combined HDM is still less then 2% of DVD. But I’m not sure its a spike considering most firesales have been on going for a while and some have expired. No competition equals few to no sales which equals tough sledding for HDM. If HD DVD is 36% of HDM sales and all of the top 10 are BD, then BD sales must really suck. Whats the excuse now? BB has only BD now, and CC only has a few HD DVD’s in the clearance bin

If you look at the numbers coming out, for hidef titles that do exist there is a lot higher percentate than 2% being sold as BD/HD-DVD. Still are much more titles coming out on DVD only, which apparently why the percentage is lower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)