Hispasat testing 4K broadcasts to North and Central America

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just scanned it in on the S9 also as CH1. Q is pulsing from 16 - 74. No video or audio

This is more or less what I was seeing on my TeVii S660. Signal would go from Locked to Present to Absent in a cycle, with random quality numbers that didn't seem to mean anything. Didn't bother trying to get TSReader to do anything with that signal.

inthefrey, is there anything funny about the way the uplink is being done outside of the H.265 video? Seems like some of us, like me, can't even get the signal to lock long enough to see if TSReader/VLC will even try to show video, so it doesn't seem like it's that.

- Trip

Last edited:
tripinva, Nothing too special that I can see. The feed is being played from a generic, Windows 7Pro/64 server through a USB 2.0 FantASI stream player. I'm sending that to a Novelsat NS1000 DVBS-2 modulator. The modulation is DVBS-2 8PSK 2/3 w/ Pilot. Sent to garden variety Miteq KU upconverter, Xicom XTRD400 transmitter and then to the Vertex 5.5m. There is no uplink power control (UPC) on that chain. Hispasat is using ALC (Automatic Level Control) on that transponder so, it may be doing something wacky with the levels. I'm having no trouble receiving and getting lock and great quality using the TBS6982 I got off ebay. However, my i7 tower gaming PC, o'clocked to 4.6GHz, 8gig of ram and 1gig Nvidia video card is not fast or deep enough to play it fluidly. Got some sort of bottle neck somewhere. I can play the ts "okay" on it from the HD however, the video "jerks" a little at the i-frames to catch up. The phrase, "Captain! I'm giving her all she's got!", comes to mind. All that is important to me now is that the Spanish folks are very happy with the quality and performance in Vegas. If I have a few minutes this week, I'll work on my downlink config and share it with the group.

inthefrey

tripinva, Nothing too special that I can see. The feed is being played from a generic, Windows 7Pro/64 server through a USB 2.0 FantASI stream player. I'm sending that to a Novelsat NS1000 DVBS-2 modulator. The modulation is DVBS-2 8PSK 2/3 w/ Pilot. Sent to garden variety Miteq KU upconverter, Xicom XTRD400 transmitter and then to the Vertex 5.5m. There is no uplink power control (UPC) on that chain. Hispasat is using ALC (Automatic Level Control) on that transponder so, it may be doing something wacky with the levels. I'm having no trouble receiving and getting lock and great quality using the TBS6982 I got off ebay. However, my i7 tower gaming PC, o'clocked to 4.6GHz, 8gig of ram and 1gig Nvidia video card is not fast or deep enough to play it fluidly. Got some sort of bottle neck somewhere. I can play the ts "okay" on it from the HD however, the video "jerks" a little at the i-frames to catch up. The phrase, "Captain! I'm giving her all she's got!", comes to mind. All that is important to me now is that the Spanish folks are very happy with the quality and performance in Vegas. If I have a few minutes this week, I'll work on my downlink config and share it with the group.

inthefrey
hi inthefrey. I want to add my welcome to the forum and my thanks for your prompt reply and generosity in sharing your info with us. I also see what I believe to be extremely minor stuttering or jerkiness on some scenes. i'm not 100% sure what is causing it (24fps conversion perhaps). best regards,
Kevin

hi inthefrey. I want to add my welcome to the forum and my thanks for your prompt reply and generosity in sharing your info with us. I also see what I believe to be extremely minor stuttering or jerkiness on some scenes. i'm not 100% sure what is causing it (24fps conversion perhaps). best regards,
Kevin

So, you are not having any trouble receiving the stream? This is GREAT news. Yes, probably the 24fps conversion.

Many thanks for your input!

inthefrey

Why not switch over to 30i or 60p with 60 hz, video systeim enstead of 50 Hz system since we are in U.S. TV broadcast system, since

we have better video frame rate system.:)

So, you are not having any trouble receiving the stream? This is GREAT news. Yes, probably the 24fps conversion.

Many thanks for your input!

inthefrey
inthefrey sorry I couldn't reply earlier I was out grocery shopping. I am not having any problems receiving the stream. the signal has been strong and stable here. I have included screen grabs of the scanning utility I use. Please note that my scanning program I use shows 2 different values. The spectrum plot shows -42dbm but the scan pop-up window shows -34dbm. I believe the spectrum plot is the more accurate value of the two. Also included is a screen grab of the VLC interpretation of the decoded stream data. I think the VLC decoded stream info is in error because its says h.264 when I know its h.265. It plays ok I think its just a quirk with VLC that it doesn't show the correct codec being used. I sincerely hope this information helps you and doesn't lead to any confusion.:) If you have any questions please ask.

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    216.5 KB · Views: 195
  • doc2.pdf
    321.5 KB · Views: 837
Why not switch over to 30i or 60p with 60 hz, video systeim enstead of 50 Hz system since we are in U.S. TV broadcast system, since

we have better video frame rate system.:)

I was disappointed to see it 24 FPS; I was hoping 4K would usher in the death of that horrid slideshow framerate.

They would need 25% more bitrate though to make it 2160p30 or 250% more bitrate to make it 2160p60.

And please NO MORE interlacing with this new standard! 3840x2160 should be progressive always.

inthefrey sorry I couldn't reply earlier I was out grocery shopping. I am not having any problems receiving the stream. the signal has been strong and stable here. I have included screen grabs of the scanning utility I use. Please note that my scanning program I use shows 2 different values. The spectrum plot shows -42dbm but the scan pop-up window shows -34dbm. I believe the spectrum plot is the more accurate value of the two. Also included is a screen grab of the VLC interpretation of the decoded stream data. I think the VLC decoded stream info is in error because its says h.264 when I know its h.265. It plays ok I think its just a quirk with VLC that it doesn't show the correct codec being used. I sincerely hope this information helps you and doesn't lead to any confusion.:) If you have any questions please ask.

Yes, I actually do have a question: Do I need anything special to download and use the CrazyScan software? Do I need to download and install anything from QT? Thanks!

All,

Just as a fair warning, I got a TBS6982 from ebay that is losing packets like crazy on this feed.The video looks like Vincent Van Gogh decided to take up DVB pixel art before he died, not 4K video. Anyway, to be fair, it may be something in my machine. However, I can play the ts from the hard drive in VLC perfectly. Just can't watch the downlink off the card. Bottleneck somewhere?
The system is an i7 LGA2011 3.6GHz (o.c'd to 4.6)
Could it be the card doesn't like the overclock? Will try it without O/C and report.
Suggestions welcome! Been in this business too long to be proud... :D

inthefrey

Yes, I actually do have a question: Do I need anything special to download and use the CrazyScan software? Do I need to download and install anything from QT? Thanks!
no nothing special is required. just a .rar file unpacker program. I did take a while to get things (vlc&crazyscan) all working together and me to figure out how to use it. it was all new to me. the 2 hardest things for me was how to initiate the plot & constellation diagram. just click on the highest point on a peak of the spectrum plot. when you have the plot & constellation popup window up the initiate button is the the one with the cat looking at the fish in the fishbowl. then to stream the decoded data from crazyscan to vlc in the plot popup window there are the dropdown buttons for ip streaming. I just use the default 127.0.0.1.6969

I don't understand what the acronym QT is?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)