Hobbyist Open Source Satellite Receiver - Raspberry Pi 2???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Anyone having any success playing the 89w CBS 4:2:2 services on the Pi2? Openelec Kodi plays the stream for about 5 seconds then the Pi locks-up and requires a reboot. Trying to figure out how to see the processor load with Openelec running. Suggestions?

Anyone having any success playing the 89w CBS 4:2:2 services on the Pi2? Openelec Kodi plays the stream for about 5 seconds then the Pi locks-up and requires a reboot. Trying to figure out how to see the processor load with Openelec running. Suggestions?
Not tried yet I have my own issues :D.(see other thread)
...but are you running the newer version of openelec for the pi 2? The earlier version will work, but is not optimized for the PI2 and does not take advantage of all 4 cores.

Last edited:
TBS5922SE with its clothes off :eeek

TBS5922SE-3561.jpg TBS5922SE-3568.jpg

......and let's really void that warranty, under the shield...Warning may not be safe for work :imshocked

Attachments

• TBS5922SE-3579.jpg
    TBS5922SE-3579.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 187
Reactions: Titanium
Not tried yet I have my own issues :D.(see other thread)
...but are you running the newer version of openelec for the pi 2? The earlier version will work, but is not optimized for the PI2 and does not take advantage of all 4 cores.

Yes, using OpenElec build 5.0.6. Running with no overclocking. Love those Airoha tuners in the TBS5922!

Tried a few different acceleration settings without success. Found that while a full TS file of the MUX will lock up the Pi, a program 4:2:2 TS file will play without locking-up the Pi, but the audio and video play back in segmented 1 second chunks after approximately 5 seconds. Seems to be related to bandwidth.

Tested with 105w NBC h.264 HD file and the video would get choppy, but audio is normal. If I first play a low bitrate SD file then hot switch playback over to the NBC HD file, the HD file playback audio and video is normal. Very Odd! Swapping between the SD file and a 4:2:2 file made no difference with the choppy 4:2:2 playback.

Turned on system debugging and found that the 4:2:2 files are causing one of the four CPUs to hit 100% and the total 4 CPU usage is between 160-185%. Seems to be a load balance issue as the other 3 CPUs are running between 5-30%. The NBC HD TS is only using between 33-40% 4 CPU usage. There is a significant bandwidth difference between these services. The 4:2:2 is 36Mbps and NBC is 18Mbps. I will need to test more with higher bitrate 4:2:0 file to know if the decoding issue is bandwidth related or if the 4:2:2 is throwing a curve ball.

I think the Pi has enough HP, but something very odd is happening with CPU usage and may be with OpenElec.

Next, joining Fred555 and KE4EST in loading Raspbian and compiling. Enough for tonight. My head hurts and I am heading home from the shop! :)

...and she is back fully clothed and back to work*.
TBS5922SE-3581.jpg

*No TBS tuners were harmed in the making of this at all, further more legal compensation was.......well you get the picture

Amazon has them with Prime, Ebay, Newegg, Newark and many other resellers. Just make sure that it is the quad core Pi2 and not an older model. They are now readily available.

Thank you; now that the PI2 quad core is available. Has the dvb-s2 receiver of android; comparison in conversion and how many it can img on the network; (because); to the usb2 flavor PI2 is networking being heat at a 36Mb rate one cored of their 4 core machine test? Or in the network output rating? Network tax, or bandwidth allotment in a single ended star has to convert the bonds into pure rate, so the force can be read? And if the open-network star, where the conversion is ouput to uploaded quantity; has there been any end route read to 600x900 mentality so that they can be baalanced, no matter which usb2 device finally ends up with 9 cores? Or 16 cores in the ""handle""? Naked is the device video/audio really fully reading the converted; w/o overhead? And how many more go to one display rated output not network? Testing network, then to server ouput good?

The PI was used in robotics; like a counter of motors good. As a real solution in networking; can I please see the board schematic (onlined style) this is old pi1; pi2 is new; easily traced in use. And my garden grows tomatoes too. Please, for multi-core uses. I will need the display and keyboard; as well as the PC configuration trigger; utilizing MMAP; but extra read/write ""powers""? Now, another number of additional uses come to mind; like garage doors; 2nd usb2 video input sidewinding 3 phase motor (elevator); and vacuum system; as well as my flagged pole; and spy camera; system remote control; video fire it up SW; parts list is growing (these are all places i have seen them before).

Last edited:
Thank you; now that the boat is available. Has the dvb-s2 receiver of android; comparison in conversion and how many it can img on the network; (because); to the usb2 flavor PI2 is networking being heat at a 36Mb rate one cored of their 4 cores? Or in the usb2 output rating? Network tax, or bandwidth allotment in a single ended star has to convert the bonds into pure rate, so the force can be read? And if the open-network star, where the conversion is ouput to uploaded quantity; has there been any end route read to 600x900 mentality so that they can be baalanced, no matter which usb2 device finally ends up with 9 cores? Or 16 cores in the ""handle""?

The PI was used in robotics; like a counter of motors good. As a real solution in networking; can I please see the board schematic (onlined style) this is old pi1; pi2 is new; easily traced in use. And my garden grows tomatoes too. Please, for multi-core uses. I will need the display and keyboard; as well as the PC configuration trigger; utilizing MMAP; but extra read/write ""powers""? Now, another number of additional uses come to mind; like garage doors; 2nd usb2 video input sidewinding 3 phase motor (elevator); and vacuum system; as well as my flagged pole; and spy camera; system remote control; video fire it up SW; parts list is growing.

I measured the USB 2.0 transfer rate on the Pi2 to be at least 240 Mbps. One project I do have planned is a GPIO based actuator motor controller for my 10 foot Winegard dish,

Reactions: . Raine
Thank you all for your help; the box has 2; 1 a/d and 1 d/a; overheader's with 1 GB memory fast; and sdcard ->16 GB. Width of the bus is 64 quad; GPIO is available; now I order one for myself...too...notice 1 board styled is the use of bi-directional 500 and div with only 1GB fast cuts thouroughput to half a 1 gig if it was perfect; if memory fat quad cored ; it is spending time looking for more "directions"...

Good luck getting anything from motorola to part an easy output; I have an old GI actuator power supply control board from their seperate motor supply in used PS stuff I pull with (they just need 5vdc on one leg at a time to make motor move single direction; both on the same motor supply) that only needs the directions sourced to it with 3 short wires/cables; and electricity is plugged into it type (like an hts typed control plug)...in fact, many of the old analog MOTOR CONTROL boxes that were seperate from the receivers are controlled this same way (and do heavy lifting!!!). They count back to the receiver too, some do input first and supply number info instead (GI 2400 styled and hts motor control is all i have one of each you can buy one). All you need is to set-up the counter output to the display; and you see the "number" it is at. Having the number in the box is the HTS (older); but all you need is the counter circuit sourced to the outboard counter (and disconnected; or used from the inside the HTS number display moded source might be still available on the IO cable; have not looked). The GI2400 is easy (and the board is easily separated from the PS); but it needs to be plugged into 120vac (to source its own 24 dc direction and voltages) or to keep the PS whole; them plugs their used; but man do they push a 24-36vdc motor with 10 amps max.?)...

They both can trick a truck/car too; using motors to move an amount till it quits in one direction (handicapped ramps); or by positional counting added onto it; for precise positioning (auto-flag pole routien for half mast)! I am going for 2 item control; one for my homemade windmill project (a brake when too much wind); and the my generator turn on switch when my batteries get low; along with my scope's control of round and round and up and down it points. (12 or 24dc systems)...

Last edited:
I measured the USB 2.0 transfer rate on the Pi2 to be at least 240 Mbps. One project I do have planned is a GPIO based actuator motor controller for my 10 foot Winegard dish,

Your the man Fred. What do you have in mined?

Your the man Fred. What do you have in mined?

Still in the thought process at this stage. This would be for a linear actuator. Current dish position stored in a file. When the tuner software calls for a new transponder, read current position from file compared to desired position then start moving the dish in the correct direction with GPIO out, while reading counts through GPIO in and updating current position file. This method would remember current position across reboots or power failures. I have not started the math on ratings or even thought through components. I guess the starting point would be actuator motor draw at maximum load + a safety factor (and replaceable fuses of course), then select the motor controller components and ratings from there. RasPi GPIO servo control information, controlling the motor while reading pulses, is out there and plentiful, just been busy getting available tuners to work with Arm7 architecture.

Last edited:
In doing some more research there are a few people that have done this with linear actuators.
Moslty with Arduinos. It looks like it will be a fun and interesting project. The H-bridge looks like the way to go.

You can even use PWM (Pulse width modulation) to control motor speed. Let's say you
are far from your destination position, you can increase pulse width and really fling the dish around,
then when you get within a certain number of counts of your destination, start slowing down. This
will decrease the inertia of the dish slowly as you reach the stopping point.

Also when starting to move the dish, you can start off slow to decrease the startup load,
decreasing initial amperage spikes. I think once I get my 10 footer in the ground in a few weeks,
I may start gathering the needed parts for this. A wifi connected Pi would also open the idea of all viewing stations having control over the position, not like the current traditional method of a control box bound to single receiver.

There was also a discussion here at Satguys:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...raspberry-pi-or-similar-small-board-c.327305/

Last edited:
Yes, the old design is the letter H; capitalized punishment. The old 10k resistor is actually a better "read"; as even temp. f outside at the dish mattered. The GPIO (general purpose) I/O on a bridge is only a DC typical; straight power shot; axis of one move. The multi-positioner using low voltage hooks up to the servo's pleasure rate; moving via remote codes (as does the new positioner 1.2/3). Amp the motor ramp slow down/speed up is in the design of the motors powerstroke; used since the 60's. Way to go is using rasperi-util as the control of the motors designed movements. If you position it; at say 5-15 phase (the amp pusher cont.); the movement of the DCx2 becomes dcxX64; mover east or west; the motor moves that much (the count is +/-)...still uses a backup at the 10k resistor is not in the counter; the motor was pushed a certain amount and it went is the first some-amount; count; is a reed sw on/off; relying on the same resistance? no ...but it did count that many @ rate ;; but when it checks the resistor; it moves east/west then stays. pushes the motor perfect is defined! Alredy now...checking the channel list continuum; 3 off east believe me, it works; got quality? no; keep nudgen' the mett sat? ok gettin' there! got it; move back! The engineer that does one of them moto's...and in add end; continuosly; the temp. of the wire/resistor assembly is the only loss of definition; where as the counting circuit; if it stays the same temp. (the assembly rely's on heat to move the dc motor; abd assembly heat up); is used as the counting circuit; and timed; they both have a certain fault; where movement to is not exactly right; required in moving to geostationary. A static az/el dish with many lnbf's and switches solves that.

Last edited:
Motor control is one of the things on my list for one of my Pi's, [I have four right now, an A, two B+ and one Pi2] to have a solar panel array track the sun. I have an old C band mount and linear actuator here that's slated for that job. Only at the pencil and paper stage at the moment, have to finish up a few other projects first!

Reactions: richyrich
Motor control is one of the things on my list for one of my Pi's, [I have four right now, an A, two B+ and one Pi2] to have a solar panel array track the sun. I have an old C band mount and linear actuator here that's slated for that job. Only at the pencil and paper stage at the moment, have to finish up a few other projects first!
old Motorola dual axis spy's the sun and moves every 5-10 seconds as the sun moves; yes, a "sunseeker is" old Motorola.
how easy is sunlight to detect right now... rasperry pie; or raspberry pi2 ;; is not really matter what pc you hook it to. you have any motor's... it is what they do,... you matter...apple pie sugar cupcake motor, android, robot, machine; where a women is...i heard you married Gary... your the rule, you rule...

Since the early 80's; I have spent so many a number of hours and allottery time; working on the dc motor; moto's; and all the rest of branded namography satellite tv motor's are. None were easy; none were easier than GI or Moto to clone it; is the quest for an androids behavioural analysis; they do not like Nature; anything she has to say; and they act up like a child playin' in a mud puddle; every day of the week; any time Momma Nature calls; and every way Nature calls is a lot. So, most satellite guys do not need motors more; they are little mini-minds is the only probes i get from them; Not my problem. As many thing as an electric motor is these days (all the way to clonen dolly the lamb); I would think they do not really care for motors are robotic; and droidy; too.

That said; in my opinion; both backing up; I need a 555 timer to run a servo (or motor H assembly; what happens is still average); and a temperature sensor using the 10k; plus/numbering system controller program; or if they need to re-think the position (what? no quality); typed a program that uses 3 wires to the 10k resistor counter (also on top) set inside the motors movement also on a static gear); 2 more for a count +/-; as THE COUNT only; as reed sw input (run in its own mind); then ramper voltage mind; at the H outputted motor; wire 2x10gauge; would the backing be stonger relying on 2 numbers (makes a third num match quality autoplace) to make up the moved position that they then agree upon, and what they just did; adding 3 more wires to be replaced servo's wiring for lnbf only used. 3 more wires in the box mind (only 2 really for temp.);; but the rapberry pi2 isn't just another box...it has temp. reading perfectly set-up and ready..

.if you want it to be manual only; then it does not matter; the manual east/west button just did lock and load the channel see, it is there! is really not auto-play. Right now my dish is waven in the wind (10-40 knotty's); and quality jumps larger numerals; but it still keeps the picture goin.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)