Hobbyist Open Source Satellite Receiver - Raspberry Pi 2???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Pi2 Maximum Ethernet Throughput : 98.6 Mbps

In an earlier posting I discussed measuring max throughput for the built in 100 Mbps Ethernet interface.
The left most peak is transferring a large file from the PI2 using 2 computers.
The right most peak is using 3 computers and shows our maximum transfer speed of 98.6 Mbps.

3x.png

Reactions: Titanium

In an earlier posting I discussed measuring max throughput for the built in 100 Mbps Ethernet interface.
The right most peak is using 3 computers and shows our maximum transfer speed of 98.6 Mbps.

View attachment 105761

Wow, sooooo much better then I had hoped for ! This is great.

Ive got my RPi2 loaded with ubuntu right now and having some issues getting the current kernel installed, still working at it though.

UDL

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
Hello Lee! Glad to see you back and well!!!
I have not tried unbuntu on the Pi yet.

Wow, sooooo much better then I had hoped for ! This is great.

Ive got my RPi2 loaded with ubuntu right now and having some issues getting the current kernel installed, still working at it though.

UDL

Glad you made it through school and are back here to join in the fun!

I copied the ubuntu 3.18 kernel config, everything compiled fine both cross and natively the issue is when I go to install it ubuntu gives me this

Code:
Ignoring old or unknown version 3.19.2+ (latest is 3.18.0-14-rpi2)

looking into it further

UDL

I just want to add this test was run using top of the line, enterprise grade network gear from Cisco.
Your mileage on home/consumer grade network equipment may vary.

Speaking of networks, I got this little jewel today. I will be exploring remote placement options
and want to attach a decent antenna. At some point I will do a max throughput test on this one.

pwifi3.jpg

Speaking of networks, I got this little jewel today. I will be exploring remote placement options
and want to attach a decent antenna. At some point I will do a max throughput test on this one.

View attachment 105783
That will be a great solution for your long coax run. I would assume that you're planning to get a weatherproof housing for the Pi 2 and tuner and place it all at the dish's location, or do you have something else in mind?

You may already know this, but if you need to increase wifi range a lot you can place the wifi antenna at the focal point of a KU dish and aim it at your house.

Since I hope to have my 10 footer up this weekend I am freeing up a 6 footer as a dedicated test subject to get parts of the arc I would not easily reach with coax as I live in the woods. Another member here has the same dish set up on a portable mount and moves it around as needed. They are probably in the woods too. Some of my runs o coax just inside the house not including out to the dishes are easily 75 feet!

Ok, fred555, can the multiplier be 4x the number of PI2? Daisy chained; at say 4 x PI2; each with one input typical? They each have 4 usb2 ports for any bi-directional "hooks"; then each minus input one stb (dvb-s; dvb-s2 usb2; atsc usb2; net10 wireless; net100 wired; and stay chained at the post?

Ok, fred555, can the multiplier be 4x the number of PI2? Daisy chained; at say 4 x PI2; each with one input typical? They each have 4 usb2 ports for any bi-directional "hooks"; then each minus input one stb (dvb-s; dvb-s2 usb2; atsc usb2; net10 wireless; net100 wired; and stay chained at the post?
The total IO capability of the Pi2 is about 240 Mbps. Wired Ethernet and USB, which both share the same bus.

The total IO capability of the Pi2 is about 240 Mbps. Wired Ethernet and USB, which both share the same bus.

Thank you; to split 240 over the quad; div 4 is 60 @ 0; gets a littlecit-y HD T; now the rate is bi-directional 4 one each pi2; does a stream lock daisy no input/output stream bake the other 3? If they are the putty...they become streams in iso?

usb2-------stream papaya#1 :: -------------#1=240--------#1=240--------------------------------#1=240
usb2 #2/cont. 240------------usb2#2 (wireless/10)------------------usb2#2(wired 100/86)---------------usb2#2(usb2 hub or papaya) makin a chaindrive; or a ring network?

120 out 120 in at final chain; has only ring back to stream papapa; from (4th pi2) usb#2 ---> usb2#2

Last edited:
k, had a little free time this morning, wasnt 100% straight forward but I got updateDVB compiled and working on the RPi 2. I have to say, I thought Id had todo some optimizations to get it to run smoothly on a much slower system, but pretty impressed on how well it runs on the RPi 2. CPU usage is around 10% most of the time. Playing mpeg2 using omxplayer is always under 10%. nomachine is usually around 30-40%

Scanning ATSC on my i7 takes 4.5sec, on the RPi2 takes 6.1sec, really not that bad at all considering the processor speed difference. I can see this as quite a useful device considering how cheap it is.

UDL

k, had a little free time this morning, wasnt 100% straight forward but I got updateDVB compiled and working on the RPi 2. I have to say, I thought Id had todo some optimizations to get it to run smoothly on a much slower system, but pretty impressed on how well it runs on the RPi 2. CPU usage is around 10% most of the time. Playing mpeg2 using omxplayer is always under 10%. nomachine is usually around 30-40%

Scanning ATSC on my i7 takes 4.5sec, on the RPi2 takes 6.1sec, really not that bad at all considering the processor speed difference. I can see this as quite a useful device considering how cheap it is.

UDL

I was quite impressed during benchmarking and during actual streaming. Its a powerful little box and yes quite surprising.

Will you share your installation steps with us at some point?

I will, but honestly I did it over a couple days and wasnt as straight forward as on the PC. I want to wipe the image clean and go through step by step to ensure I know what steps are required and what ones arent.

UDL

I will, but honestly I did it over a couple days and wasnt as straight forward as on the PC. I want to wipe the image clean and go through step by step to ensure I know what steps are required and what ones arent.

UDL

I understand completely! We are all looking forward to the results.

UDL

Could you recommend the correct USB tuners to use?

Looking forward to your steps Lee, and yes what USB tuner do you recommend, to work with your software and the Pi2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts