Hopper 3 keeps losing EHD connection

try using a powered hub between your drives and hopper. This is the way I have my WD and never had any problems. You have 2 drives and are asking a lot of from the usb ports of the hopper. Normally a usb port can provide only 500 ma. I don't the the power supply on hopper has that much in power reserves.

try using a powered hub between your drives and hopper. This is the way I have my WD and never had any problems. You have 2 drives and are asking a lot of from the usb ports of the hopper. Normally a usb port can provide only 500 ma. I don't the the power supply on hopper has that much in power reserves.

Yes, both docks I tried are powered. Also using 3.5" hard drives in those docks. No USB port powered drives. I only connect ONE drive at a time. Still the H3 forgets the EHD every night, requiring a hard reboot to see the drive again the following day. Quite a hassle, especially if a timer is recording.

Reactions: ERSanders

I tried that, used a powered USB hub, and tried it with two separate drives, one at a time. Still have the problem. Also, my main drive is a destktop external USB HD and uses it's own power supply, so that one doesn't try to get powered by the H3. And it has the same problem.

So - one drive is a WD Mybook Destop External USB drive with it's own power - every morning is no longer recognized by the H3. Tried a Seagate USB3.0 drive connected via a powered USB Hub - every morning no longer recognized by the H3.

It's something that happens in the early morning (does the H3 do some kind of reset at 3 am or so?) I can do my red button reboot (usually takes two in a row) and get the EHD recognized at, say, 6:30 AM, and it will stay recognized all day and night long, say, to midnight or 1. But sometime between then and a few hours later (say, between 1:30 am and 5 am) something happens to lose the recognition of the EHD. Every day. I haven't had it recognized in the morning when I get up in at least a couple of months.

I tried that, used a powered USB hub, and tried it with two separate drives, one at a time. Still have the problem. Also, my main drive is a destktop external USB HD and uses it's own power supply, so that one doesn't try to get powered by the H3. And it has the same problem.

So - one drive is a WD Mybook Destop External USB drive with it's own power - every morning is no longer recognized by the H3. Tried a Seagate USB3.0 drive connected via a powered USB Hub - every morning no longer recognized by the H3.

It's something that happens in the early morning (does the H3 do some kind of reset at 3 am or so?) I can do my red button reboot (usually takes two in a row) and get the EHD recognized at, say, 6:30 AM, and it will stay recognized all day and night long, say, to midnight or 1. But sometime between then and a few hours later (say, between 1:30 am and 5 am) something happens to lose the recognition of the EHD. Every day. I haven't had it recognized in the morning when I get up in at least a couple of months.

You have described EXACTLY what I am seeing every day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Nope. P/N is ST0005U only. S/N ST0005UHK010016. I don't think this has anything to do it it. The issue is not specific to the model or make of the dock.

Interesting, the sticker on mines actually is a ST0005U-C which is also on the barcode label on the box itself. The same drives works with the external cable so the -C probably means revision C as there is a USB to ATA converter somewhere and the -C may just mean it's using a different chip inside or something or it could just be the firmware since mines would not play any recordings as it would have a I think 1221 error and the list of the recording is not complete when using that dock and this is talking about the Hopper 3 when it was originally introduced, I haven't tried it recently. I actually mentioned it back here in February 2016:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...on-hopper-3-recorded-with-hopper-2000.357861/

Yours actually works so I think you may actually have a newer revision as my serial number is ST0005UCRD000888 which means mines is older than the one you have as it appears they have newer revisions. Mines was from 2015 if not earlier. Actually, it appears from reviews, the -C and -D are USB 3.0 while the original ST0005U is just USB 2.0 as the later has been available since 2009 so the USB to SATA bridge is a different IC altogether.

Last edited:
Yes, the USB interface chipset makes a difference. But both this BlackX dock and the white "Plugable" brand USB 3.0 dock (which uses the ASMedia 1051E chipset and firmware with UASP and BOT support) work with the H3. The file index is read just fine and I can read and write to both of them with no problem. Of course, the BlackX is USB 2.0 and the Pluggable is USB 3.0. The problem is that early each morning the Hopper looses sight of the EHD requiring a receiver reboot to see it again.

Yes, the USB interface chipset makes a difference. But both this BlackX dock and the white "Plugable" brand USB 3.0 dock (which uses the ASMedia 1051E chipset and firmware with UASP and BOT support) work with the H3. The file index is read just fine and I can read and write to both of them with no problem. Of course, the BlackX is USB 2.0 and the Pluggable is USB 3.0. The problem is that early each morning the Hopper looses sight of the EHD requiring a receiver reboot to see it again.

There have been enough reports of this exact problem with people with very different EHD setups that it is clearly an H3 bug. May be a challenge for Dish to pin it down if some people don't have the problem. I wonder how we could let Dish know about this? If individuals call we get a tech service rep who simply reads off of a branching what to do sheet/screen and they assume the problem is specific to the customer. I'd really like some people high up in Dish technical to know many of us have this bug so they can try to fix it.

My assumption is that if no one from Dish acknowledges they are reading an issue/problem and are working on it, they aren't.
haha.... I guess they think that users don't know enough or that too many users would annoy them. They must have a beta test team for new firmware and a punch list of priorities for each rev. Well, if anyone knows how to get through I hope they'll pipe up.

haha.... I guess they think that users don't know enough or that too many users would annoy them. They must have a beta test team for new firmware and a punch list of priorities for each rev. Well, if anyone knows how to get through I hope they'll pipe up.

Yeah, I'd just like acknowledgement that they know it's a bug and are working to fix it. Last time I called tech service, I got a very nice young lady but I ended up teaching her where to find the option in the menu to move your recordings from one H3 to another (she said it could not be done.) All she could have me do is reboot, unplug, etc. then wanted to send me a replacement Hopper 3 (I refused as I see enough people with the problem I don't think it is a malfunction specific to my H3.)

Yah, their tech CS team has a script that says: "reboot. If that doesn't work, unplug. If that doesn't work, offer a replacement receiver. Case closed." It's not the CS team that needs to hear about this bug.

Atleast yours works. My BlackX doesn't since it will only show a partial list of recordings and when you try to play the recording, it won't work except show the error. Yet the drive works fine with another USB interface cable which means in my case, the chipset and the H3 don't get along. I know with the USB Interface cable that works, I can use the power button to turn the drive on and off and the Hopper 3 will still see it but that was before June 2016 so things may have changed.

There have been enough reports of this exact problem with people with very different EHD setups that it is clearly an H3 bug. May be a challenge for Dish to pin it down if some people don't have the problem. I wonder how we could let Dish know about this? If individuals call we get a tech service rep who simply reads off of a branching what to do sheet/screen and they assume the problem is specific to the customer. I'd really like some people high up in Dish technical to know many of us have this bug so they can try to fix it.

What they need is if they can, to get logs etc from the H3 itself with or without the customer's help since without that, it's really hard to see where the problem is as one can talk about a problem but until they actually see what the logs actually say, they won't be able to easily fix it as some were broken since the start of the H3 while the others, they broke in the later software versions.

Hmm. Just saw that my H3 updated to U347 at 12:39 AM this morning (4/12/17.)

I also noticed that my EHD did NOT dissappear this morning the way it has EVERY morning for a long time? Coincidence? I hope not!

I still have the disappearing drives glitch occasionally, but not as often. The problem I DO have, is that I have to ask it twice to play content off of an external drive. It reads the content, makes a bunch of tiles, and then when I click on the tile, I just get a black screen and it doesn't start the content. I wait a few seconds, go through it again, and it works on the second time, every time.... Is there a way to get it to spin up the drive and recover from the black screen without having to go through multiple key presses a second time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts