Hopper 3 OTA Guide Info

sbmurf

Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
West Coast
Hey everyone,

I was a Dish customer for many, many years but canceled service with them almost two years ago. My wife was only recording broadcast
shows from the major networks and Dish price increases after the last contract promo period were not justifiable. We were tired of paying
$100 plus per month for 1000 channels of "paid programming". The last 3+ years of service was due to full-time RV travels and satellite was the
best choice for us. We stopped traveling and settled in Virginia but continued Dish service until sometime in 2022.

For our needs, OTA and streaming services has replaced Dish and saved us hundreds of dollars a month. However, we (my wife) do miss 16
tuners and whole home functionality. After canceling service I expected my Hopper 3 and OTA tuner to become non operational
but it continues to function (obviously no satellite services but the Hopper does require satellite data for OTA functionality).

My wife was happy time-shifting broadcast TV without issue until late November 2023. Suddenly the OTA guide was no longer populated
for one local channel, CBS affiliate WDBJ7 in Roanoke, VA. The other local OTA's, NBC, ABC, FOX and CW continue to work fine.
I tried all the usual remedies, check switch, rebooting, updating guide info, updating the receiver software but still no good. I thought
the problem might resolve itself after some period of time thinking perhaps a contract dispute had something to do with it but the last
dispute I read about was Hearst while the channel in question is owned by Gray Media.

The Roanoke viewing area is on of the few eastern locations that uses western arc 110, 119, 129 dish setups for HD. I thought the
shutdown of 129 may be related to my problem but that was mid 2023.

I have searched forums here and searched the Internet but I have not found others having a similar issue.

Since I am no longer a paying Dish customer I am under no expectation that my equipment should continue to operate normally. My last
Dish plan was with the Dish Mobile Group so perhaps my service was on "hold"? I did have the option of suspending and restarting service,
month by month.

The loss of guide data for just one channel is confusing. Why wouldn't all the guide info disappear? I'm still confused about the guide data
source. Does it come from sat data or over the Internet?

Apologies for the lengthy post.

Thanks,
Steve