Hopper Causing internet connection issues with router?

It's not the router. I have an Airport Extreme, working fine with the Hopper/Joey (both are hardwired). It is more likely that your Hopper is defective. I'm sure the dual lan is coming from the same SOC or Onboard Chip... I would guess that you have a defective Hopper.

It's a device, not a router. You should be able to assign an ip address to it from the Airport router, if you want. That's what I do with all of my in-home network devices. That way you can keep track of everything on your network.

FYI - the Hopper isn't changing or taking any ip addresses. The router assigns the ip addresses for devices on the LAN, as long as the devices are set for DHCP. Even if you assign a specific ip address in the router for a specific device, it's still using DHCP. It's just assigning a specific address instead of a random one taken from a pool of available addresses.

It's only a static address if you set it as such in the device itself.

--- can you assign an ip address in the router to the MAC address of the hopper and try again? - use an ip not used before by any device ---

Okay, tried that. Assigned a different ip never used and manually input the MAC address. Connection failed within 15 seconds. Same thing.....toggles connected/ not connected. I think we're down to waiting for a service call. I'm now convinced it may be a bad Hopper.

I'm really wondering about the Hopper. We've had a number of things not actually be there as the manual shows. I just had this happen again......there is no resume for a recorded show that we started to watch and then stopped. The start/ resume is just not there. This has happened multiple times. My son says there have been several things not there/ then there when you go back. I tried to resume multiple times and have to start again every time to watch this show. Now(an hour later) the resume button is there???? Maybe these aren't ready for use yet

Tech came today to check this issue. He installed a wireless USB dongle. There was no improvement. Still toggles internet on/off. He then called in and talked with the trainer for the Hopper system. After a 10 minute conversation, they decided to replace the Hopper. After the new Hopper install, it's right back to the same thing. Internet toggles on/off constantly taking out the entire network when it toggles off. Next problem: cannot get the old Joeys to connect to the new Hopper. 6 hours later............ replaced both Joeys too. Now I still have no internet, no Blockbuster, sling is inoperative, and lost all my recordings. They don't know what to do. I don't see any choice except to have it all removed.

Would an HIC be of any help with this system since this isn't working? The tech that was here today said he has not installed an HIC yet, but he said there are problems with it too.He didn't seem to know whether that would help.

We've been through a number of routers and finally after several years of other issues, we have an Apple Airport extreme which actually works very well. There are 10 other IP's in play in this network that all work fine. The previously connected Direct TV recover worked fine as well. If it's a question of changing routers or Satellite systems, the router wins. I wanted internet for the BlockBuster and apps to work. I also purchased a Sling and it doesn't work without internet either. By the way: this is the latest Airport Extreme with the latest software upgrade. The recent upgrade did change the operation somewhat. This may be where there is a conflict. Perhaps this the first of this combination to be connected.

Nextgenaccess in Delaware, Ohio is the ISP. I don't understand it well enough to explain and they don't give enough information to understand it either. They call it wireless broadband Internet. We have a small dish style antenna ( it's not satellite) on our roof top which receives the signal from their " repeater". A cat5 Ethernet cable goes from our antenna to a small box that is powered by a 12 transformer. Another cat5 Ethernet cable goes from that box to our router. We have not had any issues connecting anything else to the router. The wifi is easily connected to by anyone's pc, tablet, or smartphone that we give the password to.

Your setup is similar to mine. My ISP delivers the internet using WiFi. What you have on the outside of your house is a WiFi radio and a directional antenna. The little box inside your home is the POE injector. It combines the power to run the radio on the outside of your home with the data.

The set up of your router is probably pretty much the same as any other router with any other type of internet service.

As digiblur said the first thing you need to do is to log into your router as the administrator and be sure it is set up as a router and not just an access point. It also may say internet connection type and you can select Auto DHCP.

The next thing you need to do is enable DHCP server so you can provide private IPs to all the devices connected on the LAN side of your network. I usually like to start my server at 100 so you would type in the starting IP as 192.168.1.100 (Assuming the IP of your router is 192.168.1.1.) Depending on the firmware on your router you either specify the number of clients or the ending IP. I find 20 clients is more than enough for my network.

If your router's firmware will allow it I would then assign static/fixed IP addresses to all the devices that regularly use my network.To this this you need to know the MAC address of all the network adapters. Remember a device can have multiple MAC addresses, ie. one for its wired ethernet adapter and one or more for its wireless adapters. Once you know the MACs you can begin the assignments. When you assign the IPs put them outside the range of your DHCP server's range.

You then create a table in your router's firmware

MAC..........................................................IP
02-10-7E-62-8E-51 .........................192.168.1.200
02-10-7E-62-8E-52 .........................192.168.1.201

Fixed IPs eliminate the possibility of hardware being assigned duplicate IPs and it makes it much simpler to administer your network because when you look at a list of clients you know what piece of equipment each IP is assigned to and it never varies. Fixed IPs also allow for port forwarding, and easier QOS set up.

Once you have made all the changes reboot the router and all attached devices to force them to pull their newly assigned IP addresses.

See if you can connect to the internet. If you are still having problems try pinging comcast.com. If it doesn't work then PING 69.241.45.4 and see what happens. If you get a response by entering the IP directly you may have to set up your primary and secondary DNS servers. The router's firmware may let you specify what DNS servers you want to use, however in my case my ISP overides the settings on my router. They will however if I call them set my account up to use whomever I select.

Good luck.

A little more information: This is all my secretary's (wife) department. Yesterday she decided to create a separate network. She set our router back to factory defaults. Manually input all the IP's of everything. Set the Hopper up by itself on the separate network with no security. The result: now all our other devices stay up and internet is okay to them. The Hopper connects for longer intermittent periods, but still has connectivity on/off. We were able to see some of the BlockBuster shows load. I was able to see the DRV on an iPad. This morning, it is having issues connecting. The sling is on, but I cannot access the DVR on an iPad or through a PC on line. The status shows connected/not connected. Her research found that the latest software upgrade on the AirPort Extreme is using IPV6. This may be where the issue is. We have now read about others having some issues with other device connectivity as well. We read that IPV6 is being implemented everywhere because it is more secure. So far we have heard nothing from Dish regarding this issue.

My setup is 2H/4J all connected via Ethernet (wired cables) into a switch and then into an Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme is running latest firmware (7.6.1) and I also have IPV6 enabled on the network. And everything is working fine. So it would seem there is something unique in your setup or environment...

In one of your earliest posts you said:

we have 2 complete set ups for surveillance systems connected to this router. Neither would work when initially connected via Ethernet cables to this router. We had to manually change the DHCP to static, the subnet mask to match the router and input the correct MAC address, primary and secondary DNS settings IN EACH DEVICE

If you perhaps meant "and input the correct IP address" (versus MAC address) you seem to be saying that your ISP requires that your home network not have any DHCP assigned addresses -- every device needs to be individually configured with a static IP address. If so, that would be a *very* unusual setup. And (as you've discovered) I don't believe there is a way to configure a static IP address within Hopper or Joey. I don't know the particular requirements of your ISP, but seems very strange that you wouldn't be able to set a static IP address on the external (WAN) side of the Airport Extreme (this static address would be assigned by your ISP) and then let the Airport Extreme do it's "normal" thing of assigning DHCP addresses to the devices on your local (LAN) side and do NAT translation of the local LAN traffic through the statically assigned WAN address.

walterross said:
My setup is 2H/4J all connected via Ethernet (wired cables) into a switch and then into an Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme is running latest firmware (7.6.1) and I also have IPV6 enabled on the network. And everything is working fine. So it would seem there is something unique in your setup or environment...

In one of your earliest posts you said:

we have 2 complete set ups for surveillance systems connected to this router. Neither would work when initially connected via Ethernet cables to this router. We had to manually change the DHCP to static, the subnet mask to match the router and input the correct MAC address, primary and secondary DNS settings IN EACH DEVICE

If you perhaps meant "and input the correct IP address" (versus MAC address) you seem to be saying that your ISP requires that your home network not have any DHCP assigned addresses -- every device needs to be individually configured with a static IP address. If so, that would be a *very* unusual setup. And (as you've discovered) I don't believe there is a way to configure a static IP address within Hopper or Joey. I don't know the particular requirements of your ISP, but seems very strange that you wouldn't be able to set a static IP address on the external (WAN) side of the Airport Extreme (this static address would be assigned by your ISP) and then let the Airport Extreme do it's "normal" thing of assigning DHCP addresses to the devices on your local (LAN) side and do NAT translation of the local LAN traffic through the statically assigned WAN address.

How do you connect to your wifi? Wap, wpa? Try disabling the "wifi security" button on the router. Reboot it, and see if that works? Do you have any powerline adapters? If so, that is most likely the cause. The powerline adapters can cause issues like this. I had one going to my dvr before and it would bring down the entire internet function on the router.

EDIT: I just read a few posts back, and it was mentioned that you are/were using a homeplug adapter... this is most likely the cause my man.

Last edited:
How do you connect to your wifi? Wap, wpa? Try disabling the "wifi security" button on the router. Reboot it, and see if that works? Do you have any powerline adapters? If so, that is most likely the cause. The powerline adapters can cause issues like this. I had one going to my dvr before and it would bring down the entire internet function on the router.

EDIT: I just read a few posts back, and it was mentioned that you are/were using a homeplug adapter... this is most likely the cause my man.

I don't see any mention from the OP using a HomePlug adapter. That was me, and I have those all over my house with zero issues. Besides, he has stated several times that the drop outs stop when the Hopper is removed from the network.

Wow...that whole setup needs to be reworked. It has been over 15 yrs since I had to deal with setting up static IPs. No one in any home environment in 2012 should be dealing with static IPs. And no I am not talking about static DHCP IPs.

KISS principle is my motto on IPs....

Hell I run 3 VLANs with separate subnets, QOS rules, 3 SSIDs, and 2 APs at home and have no need for static IPs.

Wow...that whole setup needs to be reworked. It has been over 15 yrs since I had to deal with setting up static IPs. No one in any home environment in 2012 should be dealing with static IPs. And no I am not talking about static DHCP IPs.

KISS principle is my motto on IPs....

Hell I run 3 VLANs with separate subnets, QOS rules, 3 SSIDs, and 2 APs at home and have no need for static IPs.

I agree with digiblur... Keep it simple. I would take everything offline on your network, unplug everything except for the router and your Hopper and see if it still has the issue. You could always try another router also to see if you have same issue and if you do, then you know it is something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)