Hopper/Joey questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

StephenJC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Cleveland
Hi, thinking about switching from Direct to Dish as a result of the Raycom dispute. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone here could answer for me.

1) how responsive are the DVR controls on the Joey compared to the hopper? I know with Direct DVR controls are very laggy when remote viewing.

2)Is the hopper able utilize the tuners in a super Joey for recording?

3) How common are wireless Joeys installed? Are they only used for difficult installations or will they be used anytime the install location is not prewired?

1: I wouldn't call the Joey "laggy" but it is not as "snappy" as the Hopper. I have the first gen Joey. The newer second gen Joey, Super Joey and Wireless Joey all have at least twice the processing speed of Joey 1.0 and are reportedly noticeably faster. Unfortunately, for wired Joeys, I don't think there is a way to know which version you get.

2: Yes.

3: Mixed reports. Basically everyone has been very pleased if they have good signal strength. Problem is since it is 5Ghz based, and sometimes the range can be a problem through walls.

Last edited:
To answer number two. The super joeys just add two tuners to do as you wish, whether it's record or watch, to your hopper. If looking at a super Joey I would recommend just a second hopper. $1 difference.
To answer 3. WJ are installed when requested, but you have to pay $50 for the WAP. Unless they changed it very recently(haven't heard any new reports) there is no way to lease this currently.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friendly reminder, posting referral codes publicly or privately here at satguys is for Pub Members ONLY.

I currently have my Direct HD dish on a pole. 4 cables run from it to the swim on the side of the house (about 40 feet of buried cable). If LOS is OK will the pole and cables be useable for the dish install? Cable was put in last fall.

To clarify, on the official ruling here, we cannot PM our referal codes either?

Here's a quote from Scott's post. Notice who can participate in this program at satelliteguys.

Pub Members / Supporting Founders and Staff members soliciting referrals may not send or post unsolicited referral requests. As an example this means no posting or PMing to new members who post that they thinking of signing up for satellite that they should use your referral. Instead if you want them to notice your referral information then help them in hopes they will take notice of the referral information in the signature. The more you help people the more your signature will be seen.

Hi, thinking about switching from Direct to Dish as a result of the Raycom dispute. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone here could answer for me.

1) how responsive are the DVR controls on the Joey compared to the hopper? I know with Direct DVR controls are very laggy when remote viewing.
The Joey is a little slower than the Hopper but nothing too terrible.

2)Is the hopper able utilize the tuners in a super Joey for recording?
The Super Joey adds two more tuners to the Hopper for a total of 6. The Super Joey cost $10/mo. and if you went with a second Hopper it would cost $12/mo.

3) How common are wireless Joeys installed? Are they only used for difficult installations or will they be used anytime the install location is not prewired?
They are not that common because they generally only get used when needed or when requested by the customer. I use one in my house and love it.

Answers in bold.

Last edited:
If you are considering the difference between adding a Super Joey (2 add'l tuners) vs. adding a second Hopper (3 add'l tuners), you should also look into the differences in how integrated the two are. While both setups have advantages, I opted for a Super Joey because of the complete full integration of the two additional tuners. Using two hoppers isn't quite fully integrated.

Won't I have to pay a large upfront cost for a second hopper? Super Joey doesn't have any upfront cost for new customers.

If you get a second Hopper that is the regular model there is a $49 fee and if you get a second Hopper with Sling there is a $99 fee. To me it was well worth the cost to have double the tuners along with double the hard drive space and peace of mind knowing that if a Hopper goes down I can still watch TV.

Hi, thinking about switching from Direct to Dish as a result of the Raycom dispute.
If you really want to move to Dish for the Hopper, that's all well and good. But if it is mainly fueled over a local black out, you really need to start getting used to it no matter where you go.

If you really want to move to Dish for the Hopper, that's all well and good. But if it is mainly fueled over a local black out, you really need to start getting used to it no matter where you go.

Good point. Channel disputes are a poor reason to switch since all providers go through them. It would suck to switch providers because of a dispute only to end up missing another channel and being locked into a 24 month contract.

@Scherrman Just to correct one thing. You answered they a super Joey gives a total of 2 extra tuners for total of 8. I think you meant 5, with the ability to watch 8 channels with prime time.

Reactions: Rey
I understood. If I was a betting man, and I am, I would bet you were talking about the option for how many channels you can watch. Brain working faster then your fingers. I do it all the time. Love my edit button.

I agree. That us why I am giving Direct untill 9/15 to get it resolved. I think that is fair enough. I live 50 miles from the Cleveland stations, so OTA is not an option. I am not going to pay the money that I am to not get the new fall season and Football. I stuck with them thru the Viacom dispute and did not complain

1: I wouldn't call the Joey "laggy" but it is not as "snappy" as the Hopper. I have the first gen Joey. The newer second gen Joey, Super Joey and Wireless Joey all have at least twice the processing speed of Joey 1.0 and are reportedly noticeably faster. Unfortunately, for wired Joeys, I don't think there is a way to know which version you get.

2: Yes.

3: Mixed reports. Basically everyone has been very pleased if they have good signal strength. Problem is since it is 5Ghz based, and sometimes the range can be a problem through walls.

Haven't I read that you could replace the WAP with a "better" grade of wireless router to solve the range problem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts