Hopper / WS Number 2 Kaput

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
Back in September, my Bedroom Hopper crashed and everything on the Hard Drive was lost. It also did some other weird things. While waiting on the replacement, it fixed itself. Now I got the Hard Drive Message saying it is broke again. Yes, my replacement crashed after 3 months.

I asked back then "How are they going to trouble shoot this intermittent problem?" when they receive my working Hopper.

I now wonder if I got someone else's intermittent problem. Going to wait till after Christmas to deal with this.

Who knows, may be this one will start working again.

Tried Netflix:Hopper locked up.
Did Red Button Reboot: Begun to work again, but could not FF or Rewind
Pulled Power Cord: Recordings returned and everything working again.

What the heck?

I asked back then "How are they going to trouble shoot this intermittent problem?" when they receive my working Hopper.
It would be nice to think that part of the refurb process of DVRs is replacing the HDD if the error(s) was HDD-related (obviously) or determined to be somewhat "unknown". Now, if troubleshooting determined the network jack, USB plug, or something was defective, those HDDs can probably be left alone.

I probably should of tried the power cord reset before I started this thread. But, the way things seemed, I thought it broke. I never expected to get my recordings to come back. When the other Hopper broke, the recordings did not return. I worry this is going to happen again. The Hopper in my Living Room never failed and I had it since the Sling models came out.

It would be nice to think that part of the refurb process of DVRs is replacing the HDD if the error(s) was HDD-related (obviously) or determined to be somewhat "unknown". Now, if troubleshooting determined the network jack, USB plug, or something was defective, those HDDs can probably be left alone.
They do. Actually first thing they do is rip out the HD if it was RA'd for harddrive purposes, before even testing it.

Tried Netflix:Hopper locked up.
Did Red Button Reboot: Begun to work again, but could not FF or Rewind
Pulled Power Cord: Recordings returned and everything working again.

What the heck?
Woke up this morning with the Hard Drive Failure message on my living room HWS. Couldn't do anything that included using the HDD. Did the power cord reset and all is back. Is this the beginning of the end of my HWS? Should I go ahead and call DISH?

Maybe.... Many people have seen a hiccup like this and it was a one-time thing and the box works fine for a long time. If it dies in six months, is it related ? Really hard to say it is.... I've seen it myself and if the HDD is really dying, you'll have frequent issues and you'll know very quickly that it's on it's way out.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Perhaps its time to get an external hard drive and back all those shows up to it?

Is there a way to tell if you have one of those "rash of bad hard drives" in your Hopper?

There is a bug with Netflix where it can crash the Hopper so that is not a hardware failure, its a software issue.

Perhaps its time to get an external hard drive and back all those shows up to it?

Is there a way to tell if you have one of those "rash of bad hard drives" in your Hopper?

There is a bug with Netflix where it can crash the Hopper so that is not a hardware failure, its a software issue.
I agree I should get an external HDD. I think it's more than a coincidence that there are a few of us having the same issue at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)