Horrible streaming speed

Centex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Waco, TX
I have a two hopper setup with an HWS and a regular hopper. Lately, every On Demand show I try to download comes in at very slow speeds. I have Grande, running 48-50 Mbps. Every show I try to DL comes in at <1 Mbps. I can't figure out where the bottleneck is. I have a Netgear N900 router, WNDR 4500. I have run it wired and wireless, and it does not seem to make a difference. I reset the hopper, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Can someone please help me figure out what is going on here? Is the Hopper broken? Please help!

Do you have it wired on one, and wireless on the other? If so, remove one of the connections, turn on bridging and then go to Menu>settings>network setup>tests>test and see what the hopper is downloading at.

The 2nd hopper isn't connected, and never has been, other than MOCA. The HWS already has bridging enabled. DL speed 368 Kbps.

Login to your router settings and set up a DMZ(I may be saying that wrong) and have your hopper as a primary route to the Internet. See if that changes it. The Hopper should be capable of most of not all the speed available, but since every household has a different setup.... There could be a multitude of things that could be causing this. That would be my first stop.

I have the same issue. Horrible picture quality, audio and video chattering. I have over 6MBPS at each end of connection.

I talked to Dish tech support last night. He had me walk through several settings and reset everything. I had already done that, but I did it again just to be sure. He did not know why it is streaming slowly, but he is sending a tech out to look at it. We will see what happens...

I had att dsl when I first got into streaming , back when I had the horrible 922 dvr and that gave me UP to 6mbps download speed and UP to 2mbps for upload. Could never get anything to stream right and the dish tech told me that the speeds are not consistently what they claim. So up to means anywhere from 1 to 6 on download and 1-2 on uplink speeds. He also said get broadband if you want it to work right. I ended up with TWC and I now have great speeds of 20mbps and No problems streaming.

I get what you are saying, but I have Grande broadband that typically runs 40 mbps, and 50 during off peak hours. The Hopper should do a better job of taking advantage of what is available.

I have Cox cable @66.99 per month and I get 55.14 download and 18.74 upload. Of course, I never have a problem streaming. I did have to replace my old Linksys g router to help on my wireless.

Do you guys think your Internet Provider likes the idea of streaming other stuff thru the Hopper?

I'll repeat again. My Netflix Streaming stunk til there was a agreement with Comcast.

I have Grande also and noticed a few days ago that the Dish streaming sucked like you mentioned. Switched over to Netflix, also thru the HWS and no issues. By the way CSR is an idiot, as a tech there is nothing I can do to resolve the issue you and I am having.

I have Grande also and noticed a few days ago that the Dish streaming sucked like you mentioned. Switched over to Netflix, also thru the HWS and no issues. By the way CSR is an idiot, as a tech there is nothing I can do to resolve the issue you and I am having.
I have run Ookla. That is where I get the 40-50 number above.

31cold, should I cancel the Tech visit?

Should I switch to Time Warner? (Only other option)

I think I fixed it (maybe). I logged into the router, and it gave me the option to upgrade the firmware, which I did. I noticed that my router has two frequencies 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I tweaked the settings on the 5ghz. Then I opened the menu of the HWS, change the network to the 5ghz frequency and tried to dl a movie. When it started, it was running at 20mbps, slowed to 5, and settled around 8. Much better than what I was seeing. I think I will cancel the tech visit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)