How can I drop National PBS?

aquaman67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Tennessee
I noticed I have National PBS. I do not want National PBS. How can I drop it? I went to my account online and it's not listed in an area where I can "uncheck" it.

Thanks....

Go into the setup menu, channel locks, and LOCK the channel. If you have a lock code set on the Locks menu, it'll cause that channel to vanish and not show in the guide.

I noticed I have National PBS. I do not want National PBS. How can I drop it? I went to my account online and it's not listed in an area where I can "uncheck" it.

Thanks....

Are you even allowed to remove one channel from your programming package like that with Dish?

Sorry I wasn't clear in my first post. I'm paying $2 a month for it so I don't just want to lock the channel. I want to eliminate it and it's fee.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks....
PM a DIRT member or call DISH.
Go into the setup menu, channel locks, and LOCK the channel. If you have a lock code set on the Locks menu, it'll cause that channel to vanish and not show in the guide.
That won't remove it from the OP bill.
Are you even allowed to remove one channel from your programming package like that with Dish?
Nation PBS is a grandfathered channel from when DISH used to sell distant nets. If you had it you get to keep it unless you request its removal. Once removed you can never get it back.

Actually National PBS is removed if your DMA has a local PBS that Dish provides LIL. I know because this happened to me and others. The removal was part of the previous STELA days back to the old legislation (SHIVRA, I believe) that allowed sat to LIL locals when Must Carry kicked in a LONG time ago. Dish will NOT provide this channel if you have a PBS that is part of LIL for that DMA, and Dish does remove it without your consent (as per the law) if they provide they provide your DMA PBS LIL. Very few people still get the National PBS. Frankly, I still prefer the National PBS. At least they air the ENTIRE PBS line-up, which MOST stations across the USA DO NOT. However, no APR (no Doc Martin) nor other 3rd party programming on the National PBS. Just national PBS programming.

I don't think that can be true. There are two PBS locals for me in Tampa, USF and WEDU and one it Ct. CPTV. I have the National PBS in both places. My sister in law lives in the Boston DMA and has both.
I believe the answer is the local PBS has to request it to be dropped, exactly as it is (was) for supertations. (Superstations were actually a request by the local to black-out any duplicate programming of the local, DISH simply dropped the Superstation at that request) That's why not all the superstations were available in every market.

One can apparently make a number of changes including changing the base package (although there may be some issues in the case of a major downgrade or adding channels that require a hardware change).

I'd kill to have my national PBS feed back. When I downsized my packages to the Welcome Pack I kept all my Superstation channels, not realizing that I lost the PBS feed. I was grandfathered in, but when I told them to down size I neded to cut off 50 bucks a month off the package but I would like to could continue the ala carte channels. I was mad and DISH said that once you request to drop it, it was gone. They said I could keep it, but could not reverse the channel drop order.... man that was over 2yrs ago and Iam still in therepy! :( Now in DISH year 17 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)