How can you update your DIRECTV Gemini?

I’m a bit of a nerd when it comes to updating software and hardware. I admit it. I don’t always update my gear the very day that new software comes out, but I do that most of the time. To me, there’s something very satisfying about making sure everything has the latest and greatest software.

I have a feeling that some of my readers out there are that way too, because people ask me if it’s possible to manually update the apps on a Gemini, or even update the Gemini itself. After all, we see updates to streaming apps on our phones, and we’re even aware when Android itself gets major updates. For those of you who feel the itch to update…I have some news for you.

Most of your Gemini can’t be manually updated.​

The DIRECTV part of the Gemini is managed by the Genie itself. Like other Genie clients, all client software updates are managed by the Genie. They’re sent to the device at a time when you’re not likely to be watching. The only time you’ll see an update message is if your Gemini has been offline for a while or if it’s really mandatory. That “mandatory” part is extremely rare. I’ve only seen it once or twice in all the years Genies have been out.

New Gemini software is usually (but not always) tied in with general releases of the Genie software. These days, those updates come roughly once a quarter. The changes are often very minor, and that’s not surprising with something as mature as DIRECTV’s Genie system.

The Android TV subsystem is hardly ever updated​

Just because there’s an update to Android for your phone (or even the generic Android TV operating system) doesn’t mean that same software is going to flow to your Gemini. Gemini uses Android TV to handle the basic, low level operation of the device. It doesn’t have anything to do with the way the DIRECTV satellite part is handled. For that reason, the only time the Android TV part of it is updated is when there’s a real issue. Android TV is very stable itself, so that hardly ever happens.

You can update streaming apps if you want​

Like any Android device, you can update streaming apps through the Google Play Store. Press the APPS button on your remote, then find the Google Play Store icon. If you haven’t used it in a while, it might not be in the first row. You might need to poke around a lot, or simply press the voice button on your remote and say “Google Play Store.”

As with any other device using the Google Play store, go to your profile icon on the top right, press OK, and you can manage updates from there. I’ve found the Gemini updates apps pretty quickly, though. I have yet to find a case where it hasn’t updated an app by itself by the time I get to checking.

Bottom line…​

It may not really feel as comfortable or give you that same endorphin rush, but it’s really best to let the Gemini “do its thing.” Most of the time, there have been several levels of testing that takes place before updated software gets to you. It’s very rare to see issues end up in the national release software. Consider your Gemini as an appliance, like a dishwasher or microwave. Those things “just work” and I have to say, so does your Gemini.

If you want to upgrade to Gemini or change any aspect of your DIRECTV system, you want to work with the experts! Solid Signal is a DIRECTV dealer. We offer the best deals for home, business, mobile, and marine. Since 2002, we’ve helped millions of folks make their audiovisual dreams come true. When you’re ready to get started, call us at 888-233-7563 during East Coast business hours. If it’s after hours, fill out the form below.

The post How can you update your DIRECTV Gemini? appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)