How do I aim my DirecTV slimline dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here we go again. We had some winds and our dish needed to be repointed. When I started the repointing process, I peaked the 101, then 99(c), then 103(ca). That's what seemed to work. I think 99(s) and 103(s) are spotbeamed and not needed for what I am doing. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the little numbered washers on the azimuth and elevation adjustment bolts. I recall that an installer showed me a series of adjustments to make with these numbered washers to get the dish spot-on. Can someone fill me in on this process?

Here we go again. We had some winds and our dish needed to be repointed. When I started the repointing process, I peaked the 101, then 99(c), then 103(ca). That's what seemed to work. I think 99(s) and 103(s) are spotbeamed and not needed for what I am doing. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the little numbered washers on the azimuth and elevation adjustment bolts. I recall that an installer showed me a series of adjustments to make with these numbered washers to get the dish spot-on. Can someone fill me in on this process?

What are your current Signal Strengths ?

Awhile back, I upgraded my DirecTV receiver. The technician that came to do the job replaced my LNB. The old one, a five-lnb model, had deteriorated. The replacement has only 3 LNB's. When I try to aim the dish, I have 101, 103 and 99 sats. I peaked 101. then 99 from memory. I then dithered 103 until the signal meter showed about 90 (got similar readings for 101 & 99). When the system did its checkout, there was a big red "X" showing for one box applicable to 103. I tried re-aiming and couldn't get any better reading. I went past this and am receiving my programs nicely. Am I in any kind of trouble? Hope I'm describing it well enough. Please advise if I am not.

Awhile back, I upgraded my DirecTV receiver. The technician that came to do the job replaced my LNB. The old one, a five-lnb model, had deteriorated. The replacement has only 3 LNB's. When I try to aim the dish, I have 101, 103 and 99 sats. I peaked 101. then 99 from memory. I then dithered 103 until the signal meter showed about 90 (got similar readings for 101 & 99). When the system did its checkout, there was a big red "X" showing for one box applicable to 103. I tried re-aiming and couldn't get any better reading. I went past this and am receiving my programs nicely. Am I in any kind of trouble? Hope I'm describing it well enough. Please advise if I am not.

Trouble ?
No, the Red X police won't be out to see you.
Your getting all your channels ?
Chances are, your signal on that Sat is a little lower than what the recvr would like.

Jimbo said:
Trouble ?
No, the Red X police won't be out to see you.
Your getting all your channels ?
Chances are, your signal on that Sat is a little lower than what the recvr would like.

This is exactly it. You need a certain signal to pass what's call "IV=installation verification" you will receive programming with no issues however this sat is more likely to be lost during rain fade and other weather related issues

where can i find the frequency,symbol rate ,l.o.,etc for 99 and 103? i got a tracker lite and want to manually add those sats.thanks

texasbrit said:
Will that meter see those Ka sats at all?

Nope, it'll see the Ka's sorta...it'll see the 72.5, 95, 101, and 119 of directv but not the 110. I know they're used with dish too so you can upload them birds in the meter as well

I don't think the Tracker Light is any better than a squawker. Its settings window is listed in "true" settings but you need "magnetic" to aim a compass. The first meter indicator just looks at noise. Always sees something. The onboard database has NO DirecTV birds. You must enter them yourselves, after you find the PDF, (five settings each) and then see which one works with your LNB. For me, that dog won't hunt.

I could never find the decoder ring for the 99 and 103. I imagine it just won't see them. The Tracker is not compatible with and ASL-1, needed to setup SWM, with a "squawker" but a "green label" splitter will work. The seller says they won't but we agreed to disagree. For the low budget folks, my Accutrac 22 Mk III works fine.

Pay attention to the basics. Plumb mast, elevation and tilt pre-set, and establish a dead-on shot to the 101. You will have signal.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)