How do I receive dish net for cabin using current home account?

Dexx

Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Michigan
I am a current dish network customer and have 3 receivers at my home. I want to hook up a dish and receiver for my cabin, which is only used periodically, mainly during hunting season and mid-summer. Dish told me I would have to start a new service account for the cabin, eventhough it would be used only sporadically. Is it possible to purchase a hdtv dish from somewhere, and order a 4th hdtv receiver from dish for $5/month and use account info from home and connect? I do not have a phone line at the cabin, will that complicate matters or is there a way to use cell phone when I am there and plug into receiver. I do want to purchase PPV boxing Nov. 14 when I am at the cabin. What other concerns would there be?

If you take on of your receivers from home, that should be doable. There is no way of using a cell phone as a land line.

If you buy a receiver, when you turn it on, it will ask you to call in and vericate it. When you call in, they will tell you that you need to set up an account. That will cost more than the price of an additional receiver.

Your best bet is to bring one from home and take it with you when you leave.

Hope this helps...

Thanks generj. So I buy a dish and cables and install them at the cabin and then transfer a receiver from home as I go to the cabin, and without the phone line at the cabin I would have to order a PPV fight the week of the fight at home and transfer that receiver to the cabin to watch it? Would that work?

Having receivers in multiple addresses is called account stacking and is illegal.
You can call the ppv in using a phone for an additional small fee.
You may have to run a check switch every time you move the receiver, if the LNB/eyes on the dishes are different.
Many retailers reside in rural areas that may install the system for a price.

Thanks for the advise Drdeceased. I'm not looking to be illegal if that is what I am attempting to do. My father called Dish and asked about connection for his motorhome for the winter months in Florida and they sent him a receiver at no charge and he uses the dish on his motorhome for reception. He told me that is what dish advised him to do, but from your recommendations that sounds illegal as well (?). Is there a difference between the cabin versus motorhome? I buy the largest package from dish for my home account and also have their wildblue internet service for home (total is over $200/month), so I really don't want to buy another package for the cabin if I can avoid it, and do it legally.

I'm no lawyer and I don't know all the policies but If you move the receiver from place to place I do not see an issue.
If it is permanently installed at another address I suspect there would be issues.

Dish will allow you to use a receiver at two different locations as long as service is used at only one place at a time.

Just call and report to them that you are moving your service to your cabin, when you go back home, call and report you're back home.

Dish wants you to setup another account to do that now. In some cases they want you to have two accounts at the SAME LOCATION! If you do not have a lot of receivers on your account then you shouldnt have any issues.

You can ask one person, they will tell you one thing, another person will tell you another. A regular CSR is going to tell you that it is ok but if you get an audit, they are going to tell you that it is a HUGE no-no. They dont care who told you what even if it was from Dish, they get the final word.

Not to worry. People do this all the time. Thye have a primary residence and a vacation home or weekend getaway.
Thye simply have a dish placed at the secondary home and bring their receiver with them for the duration of their stay.
The trick is to not have too many tuners on the account. Any more than 5 or 6 may trigger a call from the audit people.
I understand that the customer must read all of the receiver numbers ot the audit person at the time of the call or Dish will shut off the equipment.
I have friend who just had a beach house built. I did an install at that house.
I had him write down the receiver numbers and keep it with him at all times. He used his mobile number as the promary number on the account. SO if the audit nazis call, he has the numbers at hand to read to them.
I tiold him to deny the existence of a land line at his home. I also told him that if the call form the audit nazis came he was to pretend he was walking aorund his house and physically looking at the back of the recivers for the labels...Pretty slick.

Don't think the numbers are enough. There a changing number that they will ask for, as I have read and fortunately not experienced. What about being on a trip?
-Ken

Not to worry. People do this all the time. Thye have a primary residence and a vacation home or weekend getaway.
Thye simply have a dish placed at the secondary home and bring their receiver with them for the duration of their stay.
The trick is to not have too many tuners on the account. Any more than 5 or 6 may trigger a call from the audit people.
I understand that the customer must read all of the receiver numbers ot the audit person at the time of the call or Dish will shut off the equipment.
I have friend who just had a beach house built. I did an install at that house.
I had him write down the receiver numbers and keep it with him at all times. He used his mobile number as the promary number on the account. SO if the audit nazis call, he has the numbers at hand to read to them.
I tiold him to deny the existence of a land line at his home. I also told him that if the call form the audit nazis came he was to pretend he was walking aorund his house and physically looking at the back of the recivers for the labels...Pretty slick.

That absolutely will NOT work because he will need the "Location ID" from the sys info screen and that number changes every 10 minutes.

If your on a trip then tough luck, your receivers are getting shut off and waiting too long to read the numbers off to them will render those receivers that were shut off useless (doorstoppers) and you will NEVER EVER EVER be allowed to add any additional receivers onto your account EVER again. You would be ahead to cancel your account at that point if you need the additional receivers on your account that couldnt get location id's read off to them or swap single tuner ones for dual tuner ones.

I take a receiver from home in my RV off and on all summer. Just do it, don't ask don't tell. I think Charlie himself used to tout this as being an advantage satellite had over cable.

Here's the down low on account stacking as far as I understand it. If you have a dish installed at the cabin, and you bring a receiver with you AND no one is at your primary residence using the service there, then this is ok. It's no different than doing a dish mover each time you move. But make sure that no one is using the service at your primary residence. If account lists your cell phone as a number and dish calls while you are at the the cabin, simply tell them you are on vacation, and will be able to return their call on whatever day you intend to return. Ensure that the extra receiver comes back to your primary residence with you. They will probably call you again on whatever day you said you will return.

If you intend to use the service at both locations at the same time, then you must have a seperate account for both addresses.

Taking one of your receivers back and forth will work. Sometimes Dish calls and asks you to verify that all receivers are in fact in your house. ( the above mentioned audit)

If they call when you are in the cabin, you won't get that call as you are not home. If you don't return their call (usually in a few days) they will shut off all receivers except one, your main one.

So just make sure that's the one you take with you. You can look online to see which one it is.

As far as it being illegal, it might go against what Dish wants, the User Agreement, but even their CEO admits he does it. There is no LAW against doing it. The FBI isn't going to show up at your cabin and throw you to the ground and cuff you. You won't be on COPS...

People like to throw out the word "illegal". I suspect they are the same people doing the speed limit in the left lane.....

People like to throw out the word "illegal". I suspect they are the same people doing the speed limit in the left lane.....

Man, I hate those people!

RVers carry one of their receivers with them all the time. I see no difference in a vacation cabin.

Account stacking is when you and your neighbor share an account. He has a receiver, you have a receiver and each pay half the bill. That’s wrong and "stealing"

Taking your receiver to the cabin or tailgating with your receiver is no big deal.

It is no big deal but keep in mind, there is a small chance that an audit could be done, depending on how many receivers are on the account. It is a big deal to them and they will tell you it is NOT ok to do it if you ask the audit team about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)