How does D* wireless work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PAHOKIE77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
South East PA
Can someone explain what hardware you would need to have a D* wireless system. I currently have D* with a Phase III dish and two HD20 receivers. All hard wired. What upgrades would I need to have a wireless D* set-up and fees charged?

Thanks and I will check back in a few days.

you would meed a genie, and there fore SWM
call in and see if you can get a free upgrade

Not sure what you mean by a phase 3 dish. I'm guessing HD20 is HR20.

From the top down you will likely need a new LNB on your dish or a SWM module, a splitter (instead of multi switch or ground block), a power inserter, a receiver called a genie (Model HR34 or HR44) and a wireless video bridge. Up to this point everything is still hard wired. Beyond that you can have up to 8 wireless receivers called genie mini (Model C41W). Only customer service can quote you charges but at a minimum there is a $99 charge for the wireless. Of course all of this equipment would be supplied and installed by DIRECTV. You can keep the HR20s but I would advise against it.

Can someone explain what hardware you would need to have a D* wireless system. I currently have D* with a Phase III dish and two HD20 receivers. All hard wired. What upgrades would I need to have a wireless D* set-up and fees charged?

Thanks and I will check back in a few days.
You have a Phase III dish with hd equipment? Did you install it yourself?

You have a Phase III dish with hd equipment? Did you install it yourself?
The Phase III dish is the oval dish that D* used when they first came out with HD. They later switch to a larger dish (I can no longer get HD from the dish). It was installed by D*.

HD20 are HD boxes with HD OTA tuners (no recording capabilities). I can get HD over the air, but no D* HD (due to the dish and the LNB).

I can send OTA and D* over a single coax line and separate at the box. All my coax is internal and would be difficult to run another line for D* only. That is primarily why I have never upgraded. But if I can go wireless for D* I can send the OTA through the coax that might be doable.

I have been with D* over 19 years.

Thanks for everyone's input.

The Phase III dish is the oval dish that D* used when they first came out with HD. They later switch to a larger dish (I can no longer get HD from the dish). It was installed by D*.

HD20 are HD boxes with HD OTA tuners (no recording capabilities). I can get HD over the air, but no D* HD (due to the dish and the LNB).

I can send OTA and D* over a single coax line and separate at the box. All my coax is internal and would be difficult to run another line for D* only. That is primarily why I have never upgraded. But if I can go wireless for D* I can send the OTA through the coax that might be doable.

I have been with D* over 19 years.

Thanks for everyone's input.

The SWM technology that is used now is single line everywhere as long as you have less than 8 tuners.

The SWM technology that is used now is single line everywhere as long as you have less than 8 tuners.
as long as you don't do whole home DVR, you can diplex a swm connection.

I assume you have an H20 receivers, while it is very old it is actually swm capable, so if you upgrade your dish to a slimline and swm lnb, you could then diplex the cable just as you do now and get directv HD also.

Directv wireless would involve you upgrading to a genie whole home DVR, and then having a wireless client in that room, the client would have no way to add OTA to that particular TV, if you wanted OTA it must be done at the genie with a separately purchased AM21, but you would need to run another cable as you can't diplex if you want wireless..... basically it won't work

Thanks.

Yes, I have two H20-100 receivers (They are HD receivers but do not record). So, if I understand this correctly, my options would be to upgrade my dish and LNB and continue to split the signal using a diplexer or to go wireless and use the coax for OTA and the wireless Genie for D* (I would need two coax to the TV and Genie DVR to get both OTA and D*). Also, the D* would not include an OTA tuner so I would have to connect the OTA coax directly to the TV. I would no longer be able to use the D* box.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

Yes, I have two H20-100 receivers (They are HD receivers but do not record). So, if I understand this correctly, my options would be to upgrade my dish and LNB and continue to split the signal using a diplexer or to go wireless and use the coax for OTA and the wireless Genie for D* (I would need two coax to the TV and Genie DVR to get both OTA and D*). Also, the D* would not include an OTA tuner so I would have to connect the OTA coax directly to the TV. I would no longer be able to use the D* box.

Is this correct?
The Genie is connected to the TV using HDMI so you would still be able to use the coax for OTA if I understand your question correctly.

Thanks.

Yes, I understand I can connect the D* box via HDMI to the TV (that would not be wireless in my mind) and the OTA coax to the TV. What I will no longer be able to do is use the D* box to control the OTA. My current set up allows for me to switch from an OTA channel to a D* channel through the box. If I correctly understand how the wireless works, I will need a dedicated coax from the dish to the main D* Genie box and that Genie can communicate wirelessly to the other TVs.

My original question was "how does that wireless work?" In the D* commercial they show no wires from D* to the TV. Is the wireless receiver a small device that plugs directly into to the HDMI or the USB port on the TV(no power cord, no HDMI, etc.)? Does the TV have to be a "Smart TV" that receives the D* via wireless connection? Or does the D* wireless receiver actually consist of another box that is hard wired to the TV, but receives the signal wirelessly from the main D* Genie DVR?

in the commercial they just have the wireless boxes mounted behind the TV. it still needs HDMI to the TV and a power outlet to the receiver. however its only about the size of a 7" tablet (slightly thicker) so you can just use a zip-tie.

in the commercial they just have the wireless boxes mounted behind the TV. it still needs HDMI to the TV and a power outlet to the receiver. however its only about the size of a 7" tablet (slightly thicker) so you can just use a zip-tie.

Thanks Zashel and Dishrich. I now understand how it works.

The commercial is deceptive (Creepy Rob Lowe!). I could have my outlets and cable coax (if I had cable) be behind the TV as well. I would think most people still have the wireless box on a shelf with an HDMI wire to the TV (so the HDMI wire is visible). Doesn't the wireless box require a power line? In that case the power line would be visible even if mounted behind the TV (unless you have an open outlet behind the TV).

By the way, I do not have a problem with visible wires. My lamps and other electronic devices have visible wires as well. My concern would be having to have separate (two) coax from the dish and OTA to the D* and TV.

in the case of a Genie and OTA signal, if you use an AM21 in conjunction with the genie, i believe all of the wireless clients also receive the OTA signal as well (limited to 2 tuners though) so you wouldnt need a seperate coax line on every TV for an OTA signal, just the main genie. i haven't had a chance to use an AM21 though so I'm not 100% on that. but it sounds like running a 2nd coax line to your main TV isnt really a possibility, so it would be one or the other if you upgrade.

i was thinking more along the lines of the marionettes commercial before they did the rob lowe ones.

in the case of a Genie and OTA signal, if you use an AM21 in conjunction with the genie, i believe all of the wireless clients also receive the OTA signal as well (limited to 2 tuners though) so you wouldnt need a seperate coax line on every TV for an OTA signal, just the main genie.

Yes, that's the way it works with both the wired and wireless clients, if an AM21 connected to the Genie then up to 2 clients can access those tuners.

Reactions: Zashel
Yes, that's the way it works with both the wired and wireless clients, if an AM21 connected to the Genie then up to 2 clients can access those tuners.
Thanks. That is good to know. I can get two coax to my primary receiver (as I have access through my unfinished portion of my basement from the dish to my primary receiver). I only have single line coax through the remainder of the house. When I built the house in the 1992, I ran R-59 coax from each room to the basement (over 12 lines with additional lines to the attic and to the dish) and most locations have finished walls and ceilings. It is a large house and difficult to run external coax. Good to know I have options with the Genie and an AM21 to use D* for both OTA and D* channels.

How do the clients access the tuner on the AM21? I have an AM21 connected to my Genie, and don't see any of the OTA channels from the AM21 anywhere other than on the Genie.

They will automatically show up in your guide, unless you are using a favorites list that doesn't show them.

They will automatically show up in your guide, unless you are using a favorites list that doesn't show them.
I do have a favorites setup on all of my boxes (I have 4 - Genie plus 3 clients), mainly so I don't have to see all those stupid infomercial channels in the guide and channels that I don't subscribe to. I just changed one of the clients to show all channels, and still didn't see anything from the AM21 on it. The only place the channels from the AM21 show up is on the Genie.

Thanks Zashel and Dishrich. I now understand how it works.

The commercial is deceptive (Creepy Rob Lowe!). I could have my outlets and cable coax (if I had cable) be behind the TV as well. I would think most people still have the wireless box on a shelf with an HDMI wire to the TV (so the HDMI wire is visible). Doesn't the wireless box require a power line? In that case the power line would be visible even if mounted behind the TV (unless you have an open outlet behind the TV).

By the way, I do not have a problem with visible wires. My lamps and other electronic devices have visible wires as well. My concern would be having to have separate (two) coax from the dish and OTA to the D* and TV.
You can def diplex with SWM and WHDVR, the trick is to install the duplexer BEFORE the SWM splitter. So in your case, you can diplex OTA and SAT at the dish, run one line to the Genie and install the diplexer there. One line to the AM21 another line to 2 way splitter. One leg feeding the Genie, another one feeding the Wireless Video Bridge. OF course, none of this is DIRECTV® approved.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)