How Strong is Hard Drive Magnet?

NowRetired

Jun 1, 2009
Arkansas
Does anyone know exactly how strong is a computer hard drive magnet? And also, what would the rating or strength of the magnet be? Is it measured in gauss? We're looking at Magnetic Water Softeners, and also at a "Federal Technology Alert" "A publication series designed to speed the adoption of energy efficient and renewable technologies in the Federal sector," (which can be found posted on a webpage called magnet4less.com, but being a newbie, I can't post it here yet) Basically what we are trying to do find out whether it would work to use old magnets from computer hard drives, tie-strapped to our input water line to our home. Can't find the strength rating of computer hard drive magnets anywhere. So does anyone know?

Can't answer your question, but I'm usually suspicious of claims like this. Generally scams. Except for this one, I believe there is some supporting documentation for the claims. IIRC, the magnets for this purpose are very strong, likely far stronger than HDD magnets.

I have a hard drive magnet stuck to my fridge and given its strength I would say its a rare earth neodymium magnet. The magnet is about as thick as a cd and about as wide as your pinky but it'll hold up about 10lbs or so.

MAGCRAFT® Neodymium Magnets Strong Neodymium Magnets Rare Earth K&J Magnetics

Two companies that deal in rare earth magnet supplies and are rated as safe sites to navigate, you can find a great deal of information on these magnets at both. I would be leary to purchase any of these magnets from ebay though you can find them through this reputable seller Round 1/2x3/8" neodymium magnets, magnet N38 - eBay (item 310147265691 end time Jun-12-09 08:37:45 PDT) that I have seen selling them for a few years.

This one could probably take care of an entire neighborhood but given its size you would really and truely have to exercise extreme caution while handling it, the small ones when allowed to come together are strong enough to snap pencils in half and can break a finger.

N45 Round 2.36"x1.27" neodymium magnet, magnets - eBay (item 310146583364 end time Jun-10-09 21:11:35 PDT)

Here's what you need, goes right inline. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAR-...itemZ310147828287QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

The magnet used for the actuator is the larger magnet in an modern disk drive. The spindle motor is usually smaller and you'd need to disassemble it (more trouble than it's worth). I've seen the "saltless" water softeners that use magnets, but the effectiveness is questionable. Here's a website I ran across that explains some of the pseudoscience: Magnetic water treatment pseudoscience

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)