How to Activate DIRECTV on Demand with HR20-700

I'm stuck.
I would be eligible at the same price for 3.0 if it was available.

That sucks. I cant get DSL where I am due to distance even though I had it when it was SBC. Now that AT&T is in charge, they are refusing to activate it even though I had it 2 years ago. I like the cable but its a lot more expensive then DSL.

Kentstater,
I have 3.0 speed DSL from Verizon, so they can't tell yopu that they don't have it, you may not be eliginle for it due to your distance, but it is available.

Brewer,
Chances are that when AT&T took over, they shortened up the loop length do to subs taking too many errors with the DSL distance they were running.

Have you asked the phone company if they have any Digital Pair Gain in your area yet?

This extends the Loop length to start where the cabinet is, making most people available, but not all areas have the DPG yet.

Let me know if you need more info about it, perticularly if it will save you money .... only drawback is, the fastest I know of AT&T's DSL is 6.0 speed, at least so far. (thats in my area, could be different in other parts of the country)

Jimbo

Yep, I have the 6mbps and was told this is the fastest now, but that they are working on 8mbps (all distance based from the CO box as Jimbo already stated)

How do I create a HR20 Network

I read in one of the posts that I need a HR20 Network in order for DOD to work on a HR20-700. How does one go about doing this?

Thanks,

Mark

I read in one of the posts that I need a HR20 Network in order for DOD to work on a HR20-700. How does one go about doing this?

Thanks,

Mark

Plug an eathernet cord into the eathernet port on the back of the hr20-700 and plug the other end into a router that is hooked up to your cable/dsl modem or an open port on your dsl/cable modem.

As you can tell from my location I am on the East side, I had a automatic software download this morning, which set up the VOD menu!!!. I dont know if this means the release has made it over to the east yet.

I have the vod menu with captions, how long does it take for the shows to down load on the system to choose. I have a cable modium

Once your HR20-700S is on the Internet from your router, it will activate the On Demand and eventually populate into your guide. The process before you can actually download programming (channels 1000+) can take a couple of days.

There is no need to call DirecTV to add the BETA.

Do you need to reboot to get the new changes after you see the On Demand menu item?

Do you need to reboot to get the new changes after you see the On Demand menu item?

I would say no. It took my units two days to get the programming and I did not have to reboot. Doing a full reboot will cause the loss of the BETA channels in your guide, and it will take time for them to appear again.

Hi,
I have a 8MB Comcast Internet connection running thru a Linksys WRT54G router. My downloads with DOD are painfully slow (around 7.5 minutes to download a 6 minute music video). Should'nt I be seeing much better D/L times? Is the Linksys router the problem? When I do speed tests on my Internet connection it zooms with measured cspeeds in excess of 12 MB per second. I'm clueless. Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks,
Mark

Hi,
I have a 8MB Comcast Internet connection running thru a Linksys WRT54G router. My downloads with DOD are painfully slow (around 7.5 minutes to download a 6 minute music video). Should'nt I be seeing much better D/L times? Is the Linksys router the problem? When I do speed tests on my Internet connection it zooms with measured cspeeds in excess of 12 MB per second. I'm clueless. Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks,
Mark

I use a WRT54GS (wired/wireless router- wireless disabled to prevent hacking by others to steal bandwidth) with the latest firmware from Linksys version 7.50.02. I would make sure you have the latest firmware from Linksys based on your model to see if that helps.

My download speeds are fantastic. I use Comcast also. There can be other factors, perhaps regional, time of download, the number of other customers using the Internet (Comcast) like neighbors. surfing the web while downloading a program, etc.

I use a WRT54GS (wired/wireless router- wireless disabled to prevent hacking by others to steal bandwidth) with the latest firmware from Linksys version 7.50.02. I would make sure you have the latest firmware from Linksys based on your model to see if that helps.

My download speeds are fantastic. I use Comcast also. There can be other factors, perhaps regional, time of download, the number of other customers using the Internet (Comcast) like neighbors. surfing the web while downloading a program, etc.

You don't have to disable wireless just don't broacast your SSID.

You don't have to disable wireless just don't broacast your SSID.

I've heard that hackers have figured out how to get around that too. Since at the moment I don't need the wireless I'll keep it disabled. If you do use it use the highest security possible and yes disable SSID.

Help with wireless

I'm using a Dlink DWL-2100AP set to AP client mode. With the default settings, my HR20-700 won't find the network or the internet. With the IP address, Subset, Gateway, and DNS set to my network settings, the HR20 shows all OK on the settings, Ok on the network but error (22) on the internet. I also tried a Dlink DWL-G810 (Old) game adapter with the same error. I don't have any problems getting the internet with any other wireless devices connected to my network or any game device connected to either adapters. Anyone have any idea what error code (22) means and how to get the HR20 to connect to the internet. Thx.

I've heard that hackers have figured out how to get around that too. Since at the moment I don't need the wireless I'll keep it disabled. If you do use it use the highest security possible and yes disable SSID.

While I'm still learning the satellite technology, computer/network security is my day job. If not in use, shut it off. If in use, enable encryption/authenticaton via WPA-PSK (better than WEP) and disable SSID.

You absolutely can get P4WN3D even with the SSID not being broadcast. The SSID is still visible to anyone monitoring using a standard laptop and freely available software.

I have an HR-21. The keyword search didn't work. Anyone have any hints? Is this even available on anything other than the HR20-700 yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)