Please reply by conversation.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I'm sure someone has written a tutorial... Should one begin by zeroing the motor and peaking on a bird at (or near) 90W? I've got the meter for it. I'm dealing with a Digipower SG2100 motor. Unknown LNB - it's blank. The customer may have paperwork on it. I did a full scan on standard and universal with my AI Turbo S2, and it's currently pointed at nothing. It looks like he has a new LNB bracket along with his new LNB, so God only knows where his focal point is... Haven't been inside yet to look at his IRD. He'll be home shortly.

Hold on, it's a universal pointed at 97W currently. I forgot my AI Turbo has outdated firmware, and still thinks transponder 3 is the one to watch on 97W even though that transponder appears dead now.

This might be a piece of cake - select Universal on the IRD and DONE! Heaven knows I've earned an easy one after making the same mistake on my last FTA upgrade! lol

Thanks guys. I had to abort attempt #1 - bad weather came in. And I can't open zip files while mobile. I'm thinking this is going to take a while. I'll pour over all those documents...

He has an Amiko Mini HD SE IRD. Wondering where I should start in the installation manual. It's already mounted, level, declamation set, elevation set, getting signal on 97W...

I was trying to move the motor to 0 with the button, but it only moves when power is connected from the IRD. And it goes right back to 97W after a few seconds... ???

It is returning to the previous position, because that satellite postion was previously saved and the satellite signal was lost. ALI chipset based receivers typically start issuing the saved switch and motor commands when the satellite signal is lost.
  1. Reference the direction and angle the dish is currently pointed.
  2. Make sure the post is perfectly plumb?
  3. Motor angle set to the site latitude?
  4. Dish angle set to the manual declination angle?
  5. Activated USALS for 97W?
  6. Input install location Longitude and Latitude then saved?

Still receiving 97W programming? If the dish moved and no longer receiving 97w programming, the dish and motor was not properly installed. Now it is your turn!

Wait, I should first see what his signals are across several orbital locations on the arc to see if I make things better or worse...

... It will for billing purposes. o_O

Edit: The first four are correct. Gotta bust out the search engines for #5.

Reactions: Titanium
Well, forget it. I can't imagine the time and money I need to invest to train myself in this motorized systems will ever pay off. I get one call a year on these things. None of these tutorials tell how to service an existing system, and everything is so specialized for the exact hardware / IRD combo your working with, you'll basically need to retrain yourself for every single customer, not to mention you'll probably forget every single thing you learned by the next time the phone rings for a motorized setup. Note to self: flatly refuse all motorized work. :)

The great thing is that the motor control installation menus in almost every receiver have the same fields and function. Once you understand one STB, all others require the same input in the install menus. Motor installs can pay quite good if you understand the basics and approach each system like it was a fresh install. I never trusted that any setting was correct or the post was even level! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts