How to force 522 Program Guide to update

Tom_T.

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2005
This morning almost all channels on the Program Guide showed titles as "Not Available" starting around mid-afternoon today.

I thought there's a way to manually force the guide to update, but I couldn't find that procedure in the 522 instructions. So, I went thru every possible selection in the Menu, but didn't see any Program Guide manual update option.

So, if the 522 can be forced to update the Program Guide, how to do it?

No, god I wish you could though...As someone who works nights, sometimes I search 5 days ahead of time at 2:30am to see what's on...and then an hour later EVERYTHING is "info not available" beyond the next hour. Incredibly annoying. I would understand if it didn't update, but why does it have to delete things that were there before...

Either turn the unit off for a few minutes, or let it slip into sleep mode (inactivity timer)...but you can't force it to do it without doing one of these two steps. Fastest way is to turn it off for 3-5 minutes...

Purogamer said:
No, god I wish you could though

but you can't force it to do it without doing one of these two steps.

Wrong. There is a very easy way.

Menu > 6 > 1 > 1 > Check Switch > Test. Once the Check Switch completes itself, press View TV to return to TV. You should see an Acquiring Signal message. Do not press anything or interrupt the receiver in any way. Once it re-acquires a signal, it will download a fresh guide and return to live TV.

Are you sure its been up-dating the info (epg) everynight? I have never seen my 522 drop any of the guide.
I have mine up-dating at 3am every morning, just go into the menu and set it a couple minutes ahead, of whatever time your playing with it. It should then download at that time.

WhiteForMe said:
Are you sure its been up-dating the info (epg) everynight? I have never seen my 522 drop any of the guide.
I have mine up-dating at 3am every morning, just go into the menu and set it a couple minutes ahead, of whatever time your playing with it. It should then download at that time.

I've never seen anyone hyphenate the word "updating" before. Odd. That is another way to get a new guide but then you have to change your settings back.

Thanks Chad, I'm sure you're 1000% correct as usual. I'll try that later on today when I get home.

And WhiteForMe, as far as I know the guide has been updating every night. (My 522 is also set for the 3 a.m. auto update.) Yesterday evening I was looking at the schedule for a week from now, and everything was filled. That's why it caught my attention at 7 a.m. when I saw "Not Available" in all the program guide slots beyond 2 p.m. today.

Hate to break the news, but this method has NEVER worked on my 510, and i just did it again to make sure and of course it still didn't. Info is still not available. Turned it off for 3 minutes and it downloaded the guide.

I realize this guy has a 522, but the "check switch" method is universal according to everything i've seen in the manual and on dishes' website, so perhaps it's more like 995%...

Purogamer said:
Hate to break the news, but this method has NEVER worked on my 510, and i just did it again to make sure and of course it still didn't. Info is still not available. Turned it off for 3 minutes and it downloaded the guide.

I realize this guy has a 522, but the "check switch" method is universal according to everything i've seen in the manual and on dishes' website, so perhaps it's more like 995%...

I wasn't addressing anything other than a 522 so it's probably not "like 995%" (which doesn't make any sense since 995% is still greater than perfect). :)

But I don't believe you were correct, which was the point. I was trying not to draw your ire...The check switch method (which is the same on the 510) doesn't download the guide after the test, it still says "info not available" for as long as it takes before I get annoyed and turn the receiver off...

Purogamer said:
But I don't believe you were correct, which was the point. I was trying not to draw your ire...The check switch method (which is the same on the 510) doesn't download the guide after the test, it still says "info not available" for as long as it takes before I get annoyed and turn the receiver off...

Like I said, you were talking about a 510 and I wasn't. It doesn't matter whether it works on your 510 or whether it causes your 510 to grow legs and walk out the front door. This thread and my replies apply ONLY TO A 522. The 510 and the 522 are NOT the same receiver, do not have identical hardware, and do NOT have the same software so the check switch method is not necessarily going to result in the same behavior. I was not talking about a 510, have never used a 510, never claimed it worked on a 510, and have no idea whether it works on a 510.

I'm the guy who started this thread asking how to force a 522 to update the Program Guide.

I did what Chad suggested.

He IS 1000% correct. :yes

Both receivers (all of them from what I can tell) use the exact same method, which doesn't work on the 510. Why so defensive?

For someone who's always right, shouldn't you know what does and does not work on a 510...

If you're going to continue to take this conversation, which wasn't even directed at you in the first place, so personally, drop it. You've helped the guy, isn't that the point?

chaddux said:
Wrong. There is a very easy way.

Menu > 6 > 1 > 1 > Check Switch > Test. Once the Check Switch completes itself, press View TV to return to TV. You should see an Acquiring Signal message. Do not press anything or interrupt the receiver in any way. Once it re-acquires a signal, it will download a fresh guide and return to live TV.
Last night I noticed on my 522 that approx. only half of the channels were listing guide data with the others showing "no info. available". I tried the Check Switch method to get the guide to refresh but it didn't work. I also tried changing the update time and shutting it off. The green light came on and I assumed it was updating the guide but when the light went out I turned it back on and still had half of the channels showing "no info".
I went to the diagnostic screen in the setup and when I went to "check the connection" it started downloading the guide. After it completed, all the channels had guide info. Hmmmmmm............? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)