How to stop unsolicited phone calls from Directv?

Discussion in 'The DIRECTV Forum' started by john262, Jan 14, 2010.

1. john262

john262 Thread Starter Member

They keep calling me from 877-203-0461. I did a reverse lookup and found out it's Directv. I tried to find on their website how to opt out of calls but couldn't find out. I'm a D* subscriber. I don't need them bothering me.

2. Jonhern

Jonhern Active SatelliteGuys Member

First answer next time they call and ask to be taken off their calling list. If they call you again file a complaint with your state AG. Also the FCC or which ever agency runs the do not call list.

3. wildbill129

wildbill129 Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member

Or call them and tell them you don't want them calling anymore with special offers...they will stop.

4. john262

john262 Thread Starter Member

Thanks. That's good advice.

5. Ken S

Ken S Member

Make sure your phone number is registered at: https://www.donotcall.gov/ Your state may also have a Do Not Call database on which you may register.

If you are or have recently been a customer of DirecTV call them and ask to be put on their Do Not Call List. Keep a record of the date and person who handles your request.

But, also beware...DirecTV is the worst violator in the history of the Do Not Call Program and has received multi-million dollar fines on two occasions.

So, when they do call after you have registered go back to the site I linked and report them.

6. robjlevin

robjlevin Active SatelliteGuys Member

The do not call list is meaningless here. Any company you do business with is allowed to call you.

As already noted the best way to handle this is to politely request that you not be called with offers.

7. yorktown

yorktown New Member

They probably just want to offer you the STARZ&SHOWTIME 2-for-1 deal for $7.99/month or $12.99/month or whatever. Just answer the phone next time they call. Listen to what they say then accept it or decline it.

8. Ken S

Ken S Member

The Do Not Call list is not meaningless. Any company you do business with can call you UNLESS you have specifically asked them not to. It's all in the law at the site I linked. DirecTV's fine last year was because they called current and former customers against their wishes.

9. markfp-1

markfp-1 Active SatelliteGuys Member

If you don't tell them to take you off their calling list, they're not going to know you don't want to be called. It shouldn't be a big deal.

10. digiblur

digiblur SatelliteGuys Guru

Get a phone service that has the option to block numbers.

11. wildbill129

I think the point is you can't prohibit a company you do business with from calling you, just because you are on the do not call list. If you are a customer, DirecTV doesn't even have to check that list.

You have to tell them not to call you. Then they are required to honor that request unless it is related to billing.

12. stonecold

stonecold SatelliteGuys Family

Simply call 18005315000 tell them you want to opt out from getting calls it is part of your privacy settings on your account problem sloved.

13. Ken S

Ken S Member

Please reread my original post...the second paragraph in particular. Sometimes it seems like no one can bother to read past the first sentence of a post before hitting reply. Stone Cold has now provided the number. Now all we have to do is hope DirecTV can be bothered to obey the law.

14. Joe Diamond

Joe Diamond SatelliteGuys Family

I also remember a point where, as an installer, I had to sit through a call center interview where the customer was asked if they were solicited by telemarketers. I think the intent was to eliminate phone selling of the service.

Joe

15. Diansul

Diansul Member

I canceled my premium channels after the initial free three months and began to get lots of calls from D* offering to take my money to re-start the premiums. I politely declined each time, but the calls continued.

I e-mailed customer service that I did not want to receive such sales calls, and the sales calls promptly stopped.

16. BlueEos

BlueEos Member

Maybe it's someone from DTV that is looking to "date" you.

They never call me and now I feel neglected. What do you have that I don't?

17. vurbano

vurbano Supporting Founder
    Supporting Founder

write them a letter. If they continue then sue them. Do not trust anything verbal from a D* rep.

18. Joe Diamond

Joe Diamond SatelliteGuys Family

Sorry,

You can't sue Directv....when you signed the paper the installer shoved in your face you agreed to arbitration.

Joe

19. stonecold

stonecold SatelliteGuys Family

Why write them a letter again it just a setting in your account settings, Call or email us we will update our records saying you dont want calls and the outbound telemarketing will end plan and simple takes about 1 week according to policy but generally 48 hours.

no need to write no need to sue .

Note this will not stop collection calls.

20. wildbill129

I read your post. Including the second paragraph. It's the first SENTENCE I was talking about. The point I was trying to make is the do not call list has nothing to do with this. IT WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE. All the OP has to do is change their privacy settings, online or by phone. Really easy....no conspiracy.....

You don't like DirecTV, I get that. BTW, Dish network paid more in fines than DirecTV....

http://www.coloradoconnection.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=325341

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/04/directv.shtm