Hr-20, can I simply add this SATA drive I have laying around ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you are worried about heat build up in the receiver, remove the receiver cover and with a can of compressed air use it to remove all the dust built up inside the receiver. Blow out the openings, fan and electrical components. Replace the cover when you are done blowing out the receiver. I did it to my r15 and now it takes longer for the internal temp to reach 128° and when it does, the fan cools it down a whole lot faster. The dust build up acts like insulation and keeps the heat producing components from sheading heat. Just remember to unplug the power to the receiver or else you could get a reminder that it is still pluged in.

I disagree. Components without cases are passively cooled. The HR-20 receiver has an 80mm fan cooling the underside of it's internal drive and with no lid the rest of the components are passively cooled. As for ESD ? Well there is no carpet in the room and no one touches the components, so I can't imagine any ESD getting in there.

Theres a big difference between a chip or disk laying in still open air and one thats in an enclosure thats pressurized, blowing hot air out, and creating turbulence in the case to actively cool it. But I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that even though you're experiencing product failures with these approaches, you're not going to change your mind.

Further, unless you have rather high humidity, what floor covering you use doesnt matter much.

Obviously I dont recommend that anyone else uses these methodologies.

As for renting the receiver, well it's true what you say but we intend to use it until it's obsolete, so by then no one will care.

Maybe they wont. You might also experience a receiver failure and have to return it for a new one. Like I said, hope you have the old hard drive and hope you didnt do anything that is obviously detectable.

Again, unless you understand the risks associated and are willing to assume them, not recommended.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts