HR44 + OTA antenna, will it display channels outside my subscription?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
I'm have a local installer that does custom OTA antennas, they have a good reputation.

I'm just a little confused on if I should be using this in conjunction with my HR44.

I'm currently moved, so if the OTA does work with the HR44, would it be an issue that channels show up on my guide outside my area? If that's how it even works?

I only have an HR44 and HR24s, will OTA contents be share amongst receivers if it comes in to the HR44?

I appreciate any advice on the best way to do this, thank you. Oh I also read that the OTA uses some of the HR44s tuners, but I wasn't clear on how that worked or if that just happened if you were recording or if it just grabbed your tuners as long as you had an OTA hookup, which might no be desirable, I think I read it used two tuners, I could be wrong.

I'm have a local installer that does custom OTA antennas, they have a good reputation.

I'm just a little confused on if I should be using this in conjunction with my HR44.

I'm currently moved, so if the OTA does work with the HR44, would it be an issue that channels show up on my guide outside my area? If that's how it even works?

I only have an HR44 and HR24s, will OTA contents be share amongst receivers if it comes in to the HR44?

I appreciate any advice on the best way to do this, thank you. Oh I also read that the OTA uses some of the HR44s tuners, but I wasn't clear on how that worked or if that just happened if you were recording or if it just grabbed your tuners as long as you had an OTA hookup, which might no be desirable, I think I read it used two tuners, I could be wrong.

You need to get the AM21 tuner to add OTA but it will add whatever you receive OTA regardless of DMA etc. There are some missing subchannels but you can sometimes work around it.

It will share the OTA channels on Genie and client set-up only so you'll need separate AM21 units.

Very worthwhile investment.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

For myself, I have a splitter for my OTA, and my antenna is hooked up to not only my AM21, which gets some of my subchannels through additional zip codes., but also a TiVo Roamio (which after calling TiVo for any additions, gets them all; although if your local Best Buy carries it, a TiVo Roamio OTA would work too), and also one directly to my TV (and although it's not a lot better, the OTA picture, I think is best directly to my TV).

I guess I'm not 100% clear on what channels could be brought in to my channel listing.

For example, I am close to Canadian border, would I be able to see the Canadian content? That's what I'm 90% interested in.

If not, any intelligent way to distribute the OTA signal through the same lines cables that my HR44 and HR24s are using? And from where my feed comes to my receivers, I would split something off to a different input on the TV for the OTA, if that's the direction I have to go in, I'm really not sure.

I guess I'm not 100% clear on what channels could be brought in to my channel listing.

For example, I am close to Canadian border, would I be able to see the Canadian content? That's what I'm 90% interested in.

If not, any intelligent way to distribute the OTA signal through the same lines cables that my HR44 and HR24s are using? And from where my feed comes to my receivers, I would split something off to a different input on the TV for the OTA, if that's the direction I have to go in, I'm really not sure.
ejb1980 gave the correct answer in what needs to be done, so that you can receive OTA channels. As for channels out of Canada. It depends on the antenna, pre-amp, height of the unit, if there is a rotor for the antenna, how far away the Canadian towers are from you (you need to go to tvfool.com and then paste the link it gives you, that allows the rest of us to see what channels you can get where you live.

There are no Canadian channels in the database. You can not get accurate guide data for the Canadian channels but if you add secondary zip codes with stations on the same PSIP (and sometimes RF) frequency, you can tune in and manually record the Canadian channels but they will appear on your guide as whatever American channel you forced in. For example, I now live where Montreal channels come in. If I force in Albany NY zip, Ch 6 CBS from Albany will show on the guide but tuning there will give me CBC Montreal. It's a pain but it works. If you don't plan on recording off the Canadian channels, just use your TV tuner. It's easier and less cluttered.

There are no Canadian channels in the database. You can not get accurate guide data for the Canadian channels but if you add secondary zip codes with stations on the same PSIP (and sometimes RF) frequency, you can tune in and manually record the Canadian channels but they will appear on your guide as whatever American channel you forced in. For example, I now live where Montreal channels come in. If I force in Albany NY zip, Ch 6 CBS from Albany will show on the guide but tuning there will give me CBC Montreal. It's a pain but it works. If you don't plan on recording off the Canadian channels, just use your TV tuner. It's easier and less cluttered.

OK, sound advice, I thought I could have the best of both worlds but that's fine, no recording OTA. (although I see you can buy devices specifically for that).

So I have all satellite switches centrally located in the house and wire is then fed to other rooms from that location.

What would I split an OTA signal through, and when I feed it to the other rooms, it would come in via the antenna in put on the TV? Or do I need something else to connect it via one of my HDMI ports, not even sure if any of the channels carry 5.1, etc.

I was thinking of this OTA device, HD BUNNY, it seems to be a custom product made locally in Montreal, not sure if there are better.

So I ended up having an OTA antenna installed and I want to distribute to 4+ rooms.

I won't be using it for any other applications, like a cable box. My installer recommended the 4 port EDA-2400 because it provides 7db per line, but I was hoping to future proof and I saw there was the 8 port EDA-2800 but it only provides 4db.

My installer said it should help me improve the signal strength for some weak channels that I can t catch.

Do you guys recommend the same product on is there something better? I don t absolutely need more than 4 TVs, will the 7db make a big difference? Or something else?

I'm just hoping it will improve reception for the one channel that is right on the border line of coming in and that I don't currently get.

Thank you!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts