I kind of wish that DirecTV would let you unselect all but 1080p and have that resolution...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Right now I'm stuck with having to select 1080i and 1080p for my resolutions for now I can only watch 1080p on on-demand. Although my TiVo Roamio for my OTA channels lets me just select 1080p.

I agree. Something my Romeo allowed and would be nice. Fortunately my receiver will process it up to 1080p.

Out of curiosity, what is the problem with sending native output of the channel (720p/1080i) to you display and letting it scale to it's native 1080p. vs forcing the possible inferior broadcom chip to do it?

In the past, Broadcom chips were not known for their deinterlacing and scaling abilities. Most newer and name brand displays do a good job.

Reactions: Mr Tony
7I think the problem with letting the receiver scale, it gets scaled twice. The receiver then the TV. Native will let TV only scale. I have gone back and forth with native on and off and see no difference even though some people swear they can tell.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think it is based on the TV. With my Samsung, there is no difference with native on or off. However, with my LG, with only 1080i and 1080p selected, the 720p channels (all Disney, all Fox, etc) look soft. There is a noticeable difference with the native on (so the Directv box AND TV both show 720p).

I think it is based on the TV. With my Samsung, there is no difference with native on or off. However, with my LG, with only 1080i and 1080p selected, the 720p channels (all Disney, all Fox, etc) look soft. There is a noticeable difference with the native on (so the Directv box AND TV both show 720p).

On my Panny plasma, native on was noticeably better on my current Mitsi DLP it isn't so I've turned it off. Basically the idea of native on is to let the TV do the conversions and some do it better than others as most have seen. In my setup, my AVR does the best job of conversions. Technically I should be having the AVR do it for all sources since it does so well, but the differences are so slight that I don't think it is worth the additional time to switch channels is worth it.

I have my DirecTV DVR set to 1080 P only

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Except it doesn't work that way. Try pressing the "format" button on your remote, or try pressing the "info button" then check "audio/video" you'll see it's not 1080p. I often change the format from pillar box to original format to crop and it doesn't work when you select 1080p only and the picture isn't even 1080p.

You will only get 1080p if you are watching 1080p material (some PPV movies). Otherwise you will get 1080i.
I really don't know why people find the resolution thing such an issue. The TV will convert everything to 1080p so it's only a question of where any upscaling/deinterlacing takes place before that. And as has been pointed out you can try the various combinations on the DirecTV box (checked resolutions, native on or off) and see which gives you the best picture. But it is quite likely that you won't be able to tell the difference with most TVs.

Native works very well.

I wish Dish had that feature.

Native Works great with my Sony trinitron 32 inch flat screen crt with 1080i enhanced
That tv is a beast, good picture quality but weighs a ton. Gave mine to my brother last year, I hope he doesn't call to help me move it again, if you know what I mean. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)